Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
But please don't call me Jerry.
badge
At one time, I didn't really like Power Grid so Ted made my piece a Power Grid piece.
mbmbmbmbmb
When you send a ship to Terra de Boa Gente, you get a free crew member:

Quote:
1 Sailor (taken from the Recruiting Area or, at the Player’s choice,
picked from the bag) for each Ship sent to Terra de Boa Gente;

my question is: does "at the Player's choice" refer to the choice between taking from the recruiting area or the bag, or does it refer to his choice of color *from* the bag? The language above suggests the former, but this question came up during my first play last night.. any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason you pick from the bag is to get a random pick. If they wanted you to look in the bag for a particular color, they would have said so. So if you don't want what's out there, you get a random sailor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My initial reading of the rules was also that it was random, but my wife pointed out that it a "pick" not a "draw", which is the word typically used in rules to designate random selection.

I also think that the power to get a sailor of any color is more in line with the game design (or, at least, it is the way I would be inclined to design that portion of the game).

So we've been playing it as "take one sailor of any color from either the board or the bag."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
But please don't call me Jerry.
badge
At one time, I didn't really like Power Grid so Ted made my piece a Power Grid piece.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Jennifer. They could have also made it clear by saying "picking, at random, from the bag." In other places in the rules where it clearly is meant to be random, they use the words "draw" and "extract and deploy." If they had used "draw" in this rule, I don't think there would have been any confusion.

There are instances where one might want to choose a sailor from the bag versus taking one off the board (for example, you have turn order, and the color you want this turn is in an Active Section at a cost that will be advantageous for you next turn), so the mere fact that the sailor comes from the bag doesn't necessarily mean that you wanted it to be (or the designer meant it to be) a random pick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Hill
United States
Blacklick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chally wrote:
My initial reading of the rules was also that it was random, but my wife pointed out that it a "pick" not a "draw", which is the word typically used in rules to designate random selection.

I also think that the power to get a sailor of any color is more in line with the game design (or, at least, it is the way I would be inclined to design that portion of the game).

So we've been playing it as "take one sailor of any color from either the board or the bag."

This is the way we have been playing this as well. There are some situations where you would want to take a piece out of the bag rather than the board so as not to disturb the distribution of pieces.

To me, a random pick is not consistent with the rest of the game esp. considering how important the crew colors are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been doing random picks... in theory. In actuality, the player has always chosen one from the board.

KenH wrote:
To me, a random pick is not consistent with the rest of the game esp. considering how important the crew colors are.

Hmmm. I'm not so sure about this. I don't see the inconsistency.

Perhaps the designer will chime in on this soon. It hasn't made any difference to my games yet but I suppose it could one day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Baker
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is still consistent; it's one of the game's random elements. Like where the free action marker will end up, the ordering of the ships, and the distribution of sailors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick implies active choice to me, so no random draw in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pick implies select the one you want to me too, as well, but this seems far from clear. Is it obvious in the original language?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it is a random pick and the translation is misleading. When Paulo Mori looked at my player aid, where I specifically spelled out that it was a random pick, he did not correct that as an error.

That's all I've got on the matter.

-Helen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Soledade
Portugal
Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
Mode: Nippon
badge
mb
It's badly translated or a bad choice of words. I can assure you that you may take a sailor from those standing in the available boxes (One unit) OR a sailor randomly picked from the bag.

Hope that helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Mori
Italy
Parma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is a random draw. Poor word choice, as Paulo said. Sorry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"1 Sailor (taken from the Recruiting Area or, at the Player’s choice,
picked from the bag) for each Ship sent to Terra de Boa Gente;"

My reading: the choice referred to is the choice between taking one from the recruiting area or a random one from the bag.

If the choice was referring to picking a specific one from the bag, it would say of the player's choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William (Andy) Anderson
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Paolo,

It's nice to get an offical answer from the game designer.

Random pick it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.