Joe Thomas
United States
Coshocton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we had the first run of the game. I don't think that any of us did everything correct. It's kind of funny, we were all thinking that the game was a little too short, but we ended up playing from 2 pm to almost 6 pm. So who knows. We of course did the first scenario and it was 2 on 2.

The Americans were handle by Colin and myself. The German side was the pack of Rob and Matt. The scenario stated that we have only 3 action turns per phase. And that there was only 8 rounds. The German have to control at least 3 special sections by the end of a round. None of us can not see that happening in 8 rounds, but like I said before. We were 100% sure that we were doing things correctly.

Even thought we (the Americans) lost more troops, and I do mean a lot more, we somehow won by them (the wacky Germans) not even close to the special section. That seems a little weird to me. The scenario also says the there isn't any reinforcements, us (the Americans again) got reinforcement cards. And it was a good thing that we did, their Panzer tank was doing a job on us big time. All in all, we seem to have fun fumbling through the game. I can see us playing this again, but next time, some of us would need to really read the rules better. Ok, me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3 Actions turns per phase - this caught me on my first game too.

Germans do 3 actions, Americans do 3 actions, Germans do 3 actions, Americans do 3 actions, repeat till both sides are done.

That might make a little difference in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thomas
United States
Coshocton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does that mean each player gets three turns, or each squad does? How do you know when you're done for the round?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marvac wrote:
Does that mean each player gets three turns, or each squad does? How do you know when you're done for the round?

3 actions per "phase". For instance, you can give a squad an action. After the squad moves or fires, you place the fatigue marker on the squad to show that he can't take another action this round.
An action might be to play a card, or set a squad into OP-fire mode.

Once both players can't move any more units or play any more cards (or don't want to), then you're done for the round. If a player has a lot more units than the other, then after the other player runs out of things to do, the player can finish up as many actions as he/she can. (not just limited to 3)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Palmer
United States
Birmingham
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry, you made the same mistake that the majority (?) made the very first time they played ToI.

I think that FFG did a poor job discerning betweeen phases/rounds/turns in the instruction manual if so many have had the same issues.

Like those above me have said, you get to do three things (move a squad, place a squad in op fire, play a card, fire) then your opponent gets to do three things. After each squad does something, they're fatigued for the ROUND. After each player has fatigued everyone on each side (or neither side can do anything more, it's possible that everyone on either side is in op fire, which doesn't fatigue technically) then the ROUND is over and you move on to the Command Phase.

So..

Action Phase (all of your squads are going to get to do SOMETHING..just 3 squads at a time)

Command Phase (figure out who gets what points and such)

Status Phase (reset, hand out cards, put squads in op fire and such)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E K
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a side note: 2 vs 2 games take Much more time than 1 vs 1. We dropped from 6h to 3h ... its also different scenario if you play 2 vs 2 ... there is no spotting between divisions and so on...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Goodfriend
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Also of note, this is a terrible, terrible, terrible scenario. Virtually all the base game scenarios are bad, but this one makes the other bad ones look good.

Suggest you try the free online scenarios; they are largely good. The small ones play quite fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CapeCod Gamer
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The intro scenerios posted on the TOI site are really good for learning the game. Why do people think 1st one in book is bad? Never played it but looks fine to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Many players feel the Germans have the upper hand in most of these scenarios. I play a lot of historical scenario's so balance is not always a requirement. To me, if you want balance, each player takes turn playing one side or the other.. time permitting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.