Subject: Recommendations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Grandy
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just purchased Ticket to Ride: Euro and my group and I are big fans; played four sessions on the first day alone. Since it's such a big hit, I'm now contemplating purchasing another Ticket to Ride game.

Of the experienced TTR fans, what TTR would/should be my next train game purchase? Or is one TTR enough in ones game collection?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't have it already, add Ticket to Ride: Europa 1912 before branching out. It definitely breathes more life into the game. Depots, warehouses, and a huge variety of ways to use destination tickets (Big Cities is my favorite).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Fox
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group and family LOVE T2R, I think there is plenty of room for more than one in your collection. If you want more "complexity" then I would go with Marklin, if you want faster experience. Go USA with 1910.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
My groups favorite map, just by the layout, is USA by far... but I agree, Marklin has some really cool additional game elements/strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve PP
United Kingdom
Woolacombe
North Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We like Europe for 3-4 , more to get to grips with/ tunnels/ferries / stations & warehouses. USA for 2, much speedier and more 5/6 routes . Both with their respective expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Brousseau
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
USA and Marklin are the other versions for 2-5 players; Nordic Countries and Switzerland are for 2-3 players only (and both are getting tough to find I believe). USA definitely has simpler mechanics, both in rules (no tunnels, ferries or stations) and in board design (looks more like a grid so simpler route layout). Marklin has passengers as an additional component, though I don't know whether that component alone has as much replay value (not enough plays under my belt).

Personal taste dictates choice in the end -- you can take a look at the USA and Marklin (Germany) boards and rules on the Days of Wonder website and pick what you think you'd like better. There are also 50+ homemade boards laying around the web (especially here at BGG).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Grandy
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for everyone's input...

I think TTR: 1912 and TTR: Marklin will be my next TTR purchases.

After playing Euro, I'm not sure I can take a step "back" and play USA. I like the added depth ferries, tunnels and stations allow.

barneyg wrote:
Nordic Countries and Switzerland are for 2-3 players only (and both are getting tough to find I believe).

Indeed...After watching Tom Vassels reivew of Nordic Countries, I searched for it, but every place I looked came up empty. I think DoW has it on their site to buy, but it's more than I'm willing to spend right now.

Anyone know if the aforementioned Nordic and Switz are out of print?

I'd like to see DoW adopt Power Grid's map/board structure...sell just board expansions (either single/double sided) of different countries. Each map/country would have slight nuances to add just enough variety to warrant the new board purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauren Stein
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
neoOberon wrote:

Yes, they both are. Nordic Countries was just a limited run to begin with. Funagain Games had stock for ages, but they too ran out earlier this month. I don't believe the DoW site actually has any copies either (and it'll cost you at least $50 anyway no matter where you get it from).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Brousseau
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
neoOberon wrote:
After playing Euro, I'm not sure I can take a step "back" and play USA. I like the added depth ferries, tunnels and stations allow.

I'd like to see DoW adopt Power Grid's map/board structure...sell just board expansions (either single/double sided) of different countries. Each map/country would have slight nuances to add just enough variety to warrant the new board purchase.

1) Euro/USA depth -- that's why I mentioned it's purely a question of taste. USA is by far my favorite 2-5p board even though it has simpler rules (and I like PG's or Agricola's complexity as well). You can't play Marklin online, but you can play 4 free USA games on the DOW website, along with 4 games of each of the USA 1910 variants, so you basically have 16 free games to get a good sense of how everything works. Given the different board and ticket design, I feel there's more strategic depth with USA than Europe (personal taste again).

2) Out of print -- Switzerland and the English version of Nordic Countries look like they are, but last time I checked (last week), the German and French versions were still available at the DOW European store (both Euro and US stores are online). As with every version of the TTR series, only the rule sheet and the box are language-dependent; the board, train cards, tickets and other components are not. So if you want Nordic Countries, you can still get the French or German version and download the rules from the DOW website.

3) PG's structure -- Switzerland was basically just that: a board and the destination tickets. However, DOW people have stated numerous times that they didn't want to put out expansions that are just 'new maps', they need to have added gameplay effects (tunnels/ferries for Europe, countries for Switzerland, different ferry/tunnel rules for Nordic, passengers for Marklin). With PG you can play with resource replenishment schemes to make for a very different game (such as Italy and garbage plants) with the same components (power plants), but with TTR you basically need to play with the board to get new features (or some wacky stuff like 3-way destination tickets?). Plus there are literally 50+ homemade maps and ticket sets, most of them high quality, which can be shipped out to a poster site (with tickets shipped out of printed as well). Some of those expansions are great and I'm not sure DOW could have done much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Carlisle

Illinois
msg tools
mb
Yep, resurrecting an old post... But, you can never have too much Ticket to Ride Rails and Sails will be available any day now... (other than overpaying for it on eBay)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.