Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Clark Jr
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard, be evil.
mbmbmbmbmb
So in April we're headed up to the King's River in California to do some white water rafting. Usually by the time we're done it's late enough and we're tired enough that no one feels like driving back down the mountains at night so we'll be camping out. The company that we usually go with has a pretty good pavilion and camp area so we'll have a good flat place to kick back and possibly play some games.

I'm looking for a few recommendations on what to take. I'll definitely be taking Dominion and the expansions that I have and probably at least one flavor of Munchkin as well. What I'm looking for are mostly quick and easy games that travel well. I mean I can take bigger box games, we'll be leaving our van at the campground so there isn't much hiking to get things from it, but there's no way in hell that I'm dragging something like Arkham Horror up there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The last time I took games camping, we had a really rainy day, and even under the tarp every game we played came out soaked from the dampness in the air. We ended up wiping down all the cards from wits and wagers the next time we pulled it out, and the felt board was still damp.

That being said, dominion may be a risky choice. I would recommend games without water damagable parts, like hive or liars dice. Depending on your surface, bananagrams might work as well.

Good luck on your trip, I am really jealous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Spikes
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive.

It's small, and the tiles don't care if they get wet or dirty, becuase they can be cleaned/dried with ease.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Clark Jr
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea rain will probably be the biggest question. I've gone around 10+ times with KRE up there and only had it rain once though. Of course now that I say that it'll likely be pouring this time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I grew up playing Cribbage on camping trips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Davenport
United States
Dickson City
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When we go camoing we check print out a few print & play games and place them in plastic bags. If they get too damp, blown away, or thrown in the fire we don't feel too bad about it. Some of our favorite PnP we have laminated and use grease markers so they last awhile.

Hope that helps

Scott "Fenris" Davenport
Wolf Creek Games
mysite.verizon.net/scottdprt

PS. devil Shameless plug: check out Battleship: Search and Destroy. A print and play game of my own design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Michaelis

Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took No Thanks on a recent camping trip and we played it a ton. It's very portable and not to expensive to replace if for some reason it gets damaged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelley E.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
He went that way
badge
I used to have AP. Now I'm not sure.
mbmbmbmbmb
We take this one camping: Mexican Train

You don't even really need the actual game either. You can use your own dominoes and pennies or pebbles for train markers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UNO: H2O

Waterproof cards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Cleary
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Search "rage fundex" if you want a cheap deck of cards that will play many, many games: Games playable with Rage deck (not the CCG) - please add!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbin Parker
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We brought Small World on a camping trip last summer. It didn't rain, and we had a lot of fun playing by lamp light! Only downside was the next time we played, there was a huge dead moth in one of the compartments!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen D'Agostino
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Mah jongg would be good, but its a little heavy. It would not hurt a thing if those got rained on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Reilly
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Dad and I like to play abstract games while camping. Last summer we were playing Chivalry and Santorini. Past favorites have included Quoridor and the Game of Y.

Many abstract games have the advantage that they have relatively few pieces, are often relatively heavy (so they won't blow away in the wind), and if they are made of wood they are unlikely to be damaged by the elements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a family member has had a lot of success bringing guillotine on their campouts ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pickomino (the pocket sized one, Heckmeck) and Cosmic Wimpout are both compact and you don't have to worry about damage to the components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Clark Jr
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for all of the suggestions. I wanted to ask this early so that I had some time to get things together, now it's time to go digging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's not too late...

I suggest a dice game like Farkel.

A classic dominoes set is also good-- the game works well with 2-4 players.

Looking at "real" games like Ogre, BattleTech, Star Fleet Battles, Axis & Allies, etc... I'd go with CAR WARS. Off road dueling, of course. Just laminate some record sheets beforehand... bring your wipe-away type markers... make a rules extract with just the car related stuff from the e23 PDF... bring some matchbox cars for miniatures... and make a wooden or metal x3 scale turning key. I can't think of a better miniatures game for the occasion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J G
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HIVE, rain or shine you can play it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Jonsson
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the print and play idea, good one Scott!

If you can play dominion you can probably play other card driven games. A friend of mine recently asked about games that packed small for going on a train ride and our gaming group quickly guessed games like:
1. Citadels
2. San Juan / Race to the Galaxy
3. Fist of Dragonstones
4. Imperial 2030 (just kidding to keep you awake this far down the list)
5. Bohnanza
6. Any other card game you like from Tichu to Slide 6 to poker...

Have a great trip!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Conquest of the Empire.....just kidding....how about Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.