Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Ragsdale
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if it is true, i am sure users would still submit content for you to play. That's the good thing about ToI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Say it ain't sooooooo... cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Loblah
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Yeah, just saw that a few minutes ago. I'll be deeply dissappointed if it's true, particularly without an Eastern front expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This kind of bumbs me out....I was really hoping for and Eastern Front expansion and possibly a Pacific Island expansion to round out the system. soblue I am glad that the game was made...The kids and I enjoy it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am beginning to wonder if FFG is growing too fast and losing focus. I am a big fan, and my game collection boasts a fair number of FFG titles. I just become a little concerned when I read things like this, coupled with their apparent lack of attention to the BattleLore line they acquired from DoW, and their recent fixation with their GW licenses. They may just have too many titles on their plate to do any but a fraction of them justice. Still, I regard them as a favorite and hope they figure it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian T. Petersen
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This is absolutely NOT true. That is a fact.

Stay tuned for more iron.

cP
FFG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
AAAUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

My darkest fears are being realized. FFG's distinctive product line is being overtaken by the grim shadows cast by the appalling GW machine.

If true--and it seems credible--this is bad news indeed, not only for ToI gamers but also, I believe, for FFG. Long-term, this will prove to be a poor business decision.

Diversification of the product line has been one of FFG's strengths. Now, with the pressure to churn out GW-related products, that diversity is being negatively impacted.

A big-box East Front module would almost certainly have sold to nearly every ToI owner and would also have brought "unengaged" East Front aficionados into the ToI community. I believe it would have doubled ToI-line product sales beyond the East Front title.

I suppose I should feel fortunate that "Runewars" actually realized release before being eclipsed by a GW-themed empire game.

The loss of momentum for the ToI line will not be recovered if FFG decides, a few years down the road, to try again; someone else will step into the breach with an alternative. We might even hope for comparable production qualities.

I like FFG a lot, but was apprehensive when I read of their new GW connection; I've watched GW in operation for twenty years now and while from a purely Darwinian point of view there's something to admire in their ruthlessness, it's not a pretty thing to see in operation.

Sad news indeed, if true.

EDIT: Relieved to see Christian P's response.

I've been astonished at FF's pace of production in the past year or so, and they show no sign of slowing down. Perhaps it will be possible for them to keep all the plates spinning atop the dowels after all.

A large Eastern Front game would be absolutely splendid, and would, itself, be capable of spawning at least one expansion if not more. My vote would be in line with that others have expressed, for a full self-contained game rather than a Soviet expansion. I'd like to see earlier-war German armor and a mix of T-34s, KVs and something light, plus the famous "crash-boom 76.2 and maybe the early-war German 75mm IG.

Then there's the whole unexplored area of intense urban combat in factories, multistory blocks, sewers and the like. A later expansion could feature such things, along with late-war Soviet armor (T-34/85, JS-1/2).

Hope is reborn; thanks, Christian.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flightmaster wrote:

cP
FFG

Well, your word is golden in my book. Rock on, FFG!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flightmaster wrote:

cP
FFG

Thanks for rescuing us from the rumor mill!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hills
Canada
Saskatoon
SK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flightmaster wrote:

cP
FFG

Yay! More to come!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harris
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flightmaster wrote:

cP
FFG

A few quick points:

1. Thank you Christian!

2. Best news of the year!

3. This is about to become the most quoted post in any and all TOI forums.

4. For all the naysayers this is what I have been posting since hearing it during the FFG report at the last GenCon

John H
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jürgen Stein
Germany
Neumarkt
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmb
good news indeed, now i can actually cheer up again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An awful lot of rumors seem to originate in what people hear at FLGS (or THINK they heard at FLGS).

FLGS have many good points, but they don't have secret inside information unavailable to anyone else. I've overheard a lot of misinformation in my time while browsing in stores. Now, it's not my business to show up some store owner in front of his customers, so I generally hold my tongue unless I can think of some tactful way to bring the conversation around and correct the bad info.

The fact is that anybody who follows the news here on BGG or on fan sites devoted to particular games will almost certainly be better informed about the status of games than some FLGS person who is getting his "news" from some sale rep from the distributors. Unless you know that your FLGS guy or gal stays on top of things by following hobby news here or on other sites then I wouldn't hit the panic button.

There are retailers here on BGG. Some have brick stores, many sell online. If there's actual confirmed news available about some product then one of them will undoubtedly post something. That doesn't even mention all the fan sites, designers and manufacturers who have a presence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Colpaert
Belgium
TEMSE
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flightmaster wrote:

cP
FFG

I was a bit afraid that GW would indeed "overrule" all other FFG-game lines and projects and I hope not to be confronted again with a sudden stop of TOI, just like what happened with the Mutant Chronicle Miniatures.
TOI is still one of the best "familiarized" wargames ever and can have a great future, not only concerning an Eastern War- and Pacific-expansion, but even translated towards modern warfare (Vietnam, Desert Storm, World WarIII-scenario's,...).

Keep up the good work, Christian!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Soooooooo...... Any idea on that Eastern Front expansion......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or Pacific theater... ???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mill Creek
Washington
flag msg tools
W:3 - L:3
badge
G O H A W K S !
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so stoked to hear this rumor finally quelled. What I suspected was a rumor all along, and some jittery fans among us. See the discussion here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/464587/wave-of-steel-can....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Apel
Germany
Darmstadt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay, awesome thumbsup Would suck if Toi had been discontinued, now that i build so many custom stuff to pimp my ToI-experience

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Scrivins
United Kingdom
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flightmaster wrote:

cP
FFG

Christian,

I'm glad to hear that, but I think we'd all feel a bit better if you could give us even a vague ETA for Fury of the Bear.

It's this lack of information that's fuelling the very rumours that you're seeking to dispel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flightmaster wrote:

cP
FFG

That's great news.
Could you tell us what we can expect in the future?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Batt
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Rebel
mbmbmbmbmb
What I don't understand is, why on earth did it take this long for FFG to speak up about this? Don't get me wrong, it's great news and I am glad it came out, but why did it take a post actually saying "TOI is dead", for FFG to come through and actually give us a solid answer, when people have been asking "Is TOI dead?" for months now!?

I mean, I'm pretty sure I know "why", the need to stop a rampant rumor before it gets too out of control, but jeez, you could have just said something earlier and the rumor would never have started. Or better yet, give us a "Sate of the game" like you're doing with Tannhauser!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jürgen Stein
Germany
Neumarkt
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmb

FFG shouldn't grow too quickly.

We have seen what can happen if FFG grows too quickly. They are now very busy with all the Warhammer stuff, leaving behind other good systems like ToI "Fury of the Bear" or World of Warcraft "Scion of Darkness".
I would even think now that WoW support/development is canceled since there is total silence about the "Scion of Darkness" Expansion we have seen in one of FFGs catalogue in the past.

Gears of War, it's still there, it's been there since a long time. But it looks like it's been put more into the dust. Expecially since the upcoming page still says "Expected Q4/2009", it makes me wonder. It is also still just at the concept stage.

I understand the focus on the Warhammer Universe, but don't ignore other system for too long, because then, rumors will arrive, people will move on to other systems and so on...

And btw. i love the Warhammer Universe, it would be great if FFG could do a remake for Space Crusade, Hero Quest/Warhammer Quest. But i doubt it, due to the figures that would be needed and the time that would be required. So it's mainly GW's job to do it. With Space Hulk 3rd edition, GW has shown some good boardgame skills. Thought i do not understand why they limited the new Space Hulk. But they should bring back more of the good old games or they should get a deal up and running with FFG. It would be also nice to have expansions for the new version of Space Hulk... again i do not understand why the production was limited in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara Stowe
United States
Mounds View
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I work in a game store where we sell TOI. We're actually with in miles of the FF headquarters. The last 2 copies of TOI we had sold in the last week. They had been on our shelves for months! I guess news travels fast because until now, I had no idea it was being discontinued.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harris
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SaraStorm wrote:
I work in a game store where we sell TOI. We're actually with in miles of the FF headquarters. The last 2 copies of TOI we had sold in the last week. They had been on our shelves for months! I guess news travels fast because until now, I had no idea it was being discontinued.

Sarastorm,

This was posted earlier by the founder of FFG:

Flightmaster wrote:

cP
FFG

It is not discontinued.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.