Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bobby T
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I have a few questions regarding how terrain affects LOS, spotting, FP, TM, etc. Maybe I am looking too much into these and the answers are obvious and if so, I apologize for the dumb questions. I just haven't found rules or examples that clearly define the examples below. All examples are found on Map #13 for ease of reference:

1a) A unit in 13N6 firing at a unit in 13L6. Does the terrain in 13M5 have any affect on anything (LOS, FP, etc)?

1b) A unit in 13L6 spotting a unit in 13N6. Again, does the terrain in 13M5 have any affect on the spotting?

2a) A unit in 13H5 and a unit in 13F5. Does the wall have any effect on anything if either of these units fire at each other?

2b) Is the unit in 13F5 in clear terrain (auto spotted) or wheat fields (in blocking terrain)?

2c) If this was bocage instead of a wall, would the answers to my questions above be the same or if that wall were bocage instead, would there be something else to take into consideration in my calculations for LOS, spotting, FP, TM, etc?

3a) A unit in 13C6 firing at 13A6. Does the terrain in 13B6 and 13B7 have any affect on anything (LOS, FP, etc) and if so, how do you take into consideration these two different terrains in your calculations?

3b) A unit in 13A6 spotting a unit in 13C6. Again, does the terrain in 13B6 and 13B7 have any affect on the spotting and if so, how do you calculate?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1a) No effect.

1b) No effect.

Terrain only affects LOS if a line between touches the graphic of the terrain. So your example since the LOS travels right down the hex spine no effect.

2a) Blocked for all.

2b) Since the center dot is in the clear the rules state the hex is clear. Could be agreed upon before game starts though... not the best drawn hex...

2c) Same as wall. Would be the same if it was a hedge too.

3a)No effect, see 1)

3b)No effect, see 1)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnold Vincent Canaria
Australia
Kensington
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This one confused me a bit...
Quote:
Quote:
2a) A unit in 13H5 and a unit in 13F5. Does the wall have any effect on anything if either of these units fire at each other?

2a) Blocked for all.

It says in the Terrain Effects chart that Walls...
"Doesn't block LOS...when the LOS is traced from the firing hex along a wall that connects to the target hex. For example, LOS from 15K5 and 15L7 is not blocked."

The example given here looks alot like 13F5 - 13H5, unless I'm interpreting the example incorrectly. Appreciate the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos S. Olivares PĂ©rez
Spain
Vigo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding 2a, I am with you Arnold.
Regarding 2c, Walls/Hedges and Bocages have different considerations. If instead a Wall, the map had a Bocage 13H5 and 13F5 would be blocked.

Bobby, note that LOS is reciprocal. If A can see B, B can see A (from rules v3).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnold Vincent Canaria
Australia
Kensington
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Appreciate the clarification here, many thanks! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.