Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
I recently chanced upon two discussions which bore the tell-tale signs of deleted contributions due to a user leaving this site. Although I sternly disapprove of such a burn-your-ships-behind-you attitude, there is very little I or the admins can do about it—and so my question is not about that particular aspect. It is about trying to maintain a logical order in whatever remains of the discussion, as in most cases it turns into a confusing mess which serves little purpose. In fact, in many of the cases I know of simply deleting the thread is to be preferred. Would it be possible to replace such broadly deleted content with a strictly neutral placeholder indicating that there used to be something at that specific position in the discussion, without mentioning what the content was and who it was from? I'm thinking of something which resembles the box you see when you've hidden a user's posts, but then (of course) without the option to bring back what was once written there. Or is such an indicator already too problematic in legal terms when it comes to contributions by users?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Although I don't see what me rereading messages of myself has to do with the issue the answers to your questions are yes and yes (for a number of reasons). Also I limited my question to discussions, as those obviously are damaged by targetted deletion of contributions; but yes, geeklists should remain in place but I believe that to be the case already. However those too could benefit from such a placeholder.

Just to make matters extremely clear: I accept account deletion as a given. I only wish to talk about minimising the impact of such an action, and a placeholder seemed like a reasonable alternative. Granted, messed up discussions are rare (fortunately!), but they are annoying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon Mueller wrote:
My point was that hardly anybody reads old discussions.

Do you have proof of this?

If I discover a game that is new-to-me (not necessarily newly published), I will go and read the forums on that game, even old discussions, and geeklist entries.

Similarly, if a new rules question comes up or I have a new musing on strategy, I'll look at the older posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
LordHellfury wrote:
If I had control of it, ....

While I can certainly sympathise with the sentiment, I would appreciate it if this subject was avoided in this thread. That content is removed is a given, whether we like or agree with it or not. Legally, the admins have little choice either.

I'm concerned solely with trying to minimise the impact on the discussions that remain, even if my original suggestion is a crutch of sorts. Better suggestions are, of course, welcome. Simon (who was so kind to contribute and subsequently deleted all his contributions, *sigh*) already put forward a point about chit-chat and RSP—in other words not overusing the placeholder (can I say it like that?). That is certainly something worth considering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHellfury wrote:
And simon proves just how stinking annoying deletions can be.

Thanks for illustrating that point, simon.

At least we quoted some of his posts, so the thread still makes at least a little sense.

To me running around deleting your posts so that threads make no sense anymore is akin to listening to a loud audio book in a lab where people are trying to think and work, or leaving your grocery cart smack-dab in the middle of parking spaces so people can't park. Basically lack of consideration or respect for others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.