Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lauren Neeff
United States
Rock Springs
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Does anyone know of a western themed board game that is kind of like an RPG. Where the characters have certain skills and can level up? If not just a heavily themed western board game (maybe a card game) that is not oop. I looked at Bang! but I am not sure I would like it. Also I want any RPG board game. I have Dungeoneer, but that is a card game. I don't want to get Descent (too many pieces and takes too long.) Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Schaub
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Games Workshop has Legends of the Old West, which isn't oop, I think, but may only be obtainable as a pdf... It's a miniatures skirmish game. There's an expansion for the battle of the Alamo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cowboys: The Way of the Gun is a lot of fun. No real "leveling up" but various scenarios give abilities to the cowboys and there are cards which give some abilities and skills.

It's simple and fast playing and can go up to 10 players, which is a plus in my book!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gunslinger is terrific! There's usually a copy available on eBay or the BGG Marketplace.

No "leveling up" per se, but there are definitely some RPG elements built into this fine game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get a western boardgame (e.g. Cowboys: The Way of the Gun) for the boards and the figures, then look at some miniature rules for the game system. Two Hour Wargames has a very good system for generating encounters and advancing characters through a campaign. You might check them out first. (http://www.angelfire.com/az3/twohourwargames/SixGunSoundBOG....)

There is an older version of 6 Gun Sound available for free. They've been moving some of their files around lately. I believe the free version is on the Two Hour Wargames Yahoo Group. (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/twohourwargames)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
Gunslinger is terrific! There's usually a copy available on eBay or the BGG Marketplace.

No "leveling up" per se, but there are definitely some RPG elements built into this fine game.

There are semi-rpg rules to this game, I believe. I know you can play campaign games of this (I haven't).

It's oop but really, you can track down a copy for a reasonable price if you are patient.

Honestly, you don't get better than this for gunfighting and the game is really not difficult and fairly easy to get new people playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauren Neeff
United States
Rock Springs
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Does anyone know a good RPG board game. My gf is Korean and has a hard time with the huge language dependency of D&D. If its in board game form it should be a little more structured and easier to understand (it doesn't have to be about the old west)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Defevers
United States
Fort Thomas
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenRock wrote:
Does anyone know of a western themed board game that is kind of like an RPG....

Sounds like Six Gun Sound: Blaze of Glory! might be exactly what you're looking for. I don't have it (it's on my wish list), but 2 Hour Wargames bills their stuff as "RPG Lite."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coyote Trail Expanded or Deadlands: Reloaded might work well for you. Deadlands has a set of miniatures rules as well as a disk game.

Aces & Eights: Shattered Frontier seems to be pretty close to everything, but I am not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.