Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Heise
Germany
Wiesbaden
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last weekend I finally managed it to convince my girlfriend and a good pal to play our first game of DORN.
I was obligated to play Zorkal, the heroes were dwarf, mage, paladin and the archer. (and we missed the rules for balancing the game with only 4 heroes…)

At the beginning the party investigated the sewers and picked up everything they came across. The square fields and walls in that area made it difficult for me to really threaten them. As they proceeded, the heroes headed north and everyone of them had at least 2 items. They gave me a hard time, only able to collect blood drops one by one, only weak ritual cards available, and the two really useful ones very expensive with 6 and 7 Blood Drops (which I could use to advance to the 2nd level).

The tide suddenly turned half an hour later, after the heroes collected two artifacts in one turn and I was allowed to summon two additional strong monsters. At this point almost all heroes and Zorkal were lvl2. I drew the first ghosts and used their incredible speed do deal some serious damage. Everybody survived and healed up, but now the heroes' items began to run short. I had several strong monsters on the board, so I tried to surprise the party with a quick fill of the ritual chamber with my card "Accursed Apprentices" (adjacent to every strong monster appears a weak one). The Paladin sensed my plan and used his (real invidious) blessing card: Tune of Orpheus (he may move all monsters within 12 spaces by 2 spaces)! He scattered my whole Ritual Chamber in all directions.

Soon Zorkal gained lvl3 and with free choice and more spawn points for strong monsters (and the newfound lethal combination mummy-skeleton-gorgon) I finally managed tp kill the mage and the paladin. After that we had to abort the game (but I'm sure the heroes would have surrendered *g*).

It was a great evening, I really LOVE this game! At the beginning it felt that I could do nothing to stop the heroes, but that changed during the first half of the game. The paladin seemed hard to kill, and the mage is a cruel monster-slaying-machine.

Some question remained unanswered, but that is for the rules section.
I'm really looking forward to my next game of DORN!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report. I love the game too.... I wonder what happened to the expansion they were promising?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the report. Keep us informed of your future Dorn games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.