United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/01/27/pope.flagellate/i...

Yet another way for the Catholic church to further alienate disenchanted followers with misunderstanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Taylor
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... It's a good start, but how about some strappado?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
"When there's trouble goin' on you must whip it.
Before the cream sets out too long you must whip it.
Whip it...whip it good!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/01/27/pope.flagellate/i...

Yet another way for the Catholic church to further alienate disenchanted followers with misunderstanding.

Maybe. I don't follow though.

Any art history student knows that there were many flagellate's in the history of the Catholic church who sought to understand the sufferings of Christ through such things.

Sure, I don't fully understand it, but Mother Teresa, St. Jerome and JPII apparently practiced it, and although I don't know what the church's official stance is now about it, it shouldn't be shocking.

I've done 72hr water-only fasts to seek enlightenment, and plan to do longer ones. It's amazingly powerful. No way to explain it otherwise.

Paul, do illuminate me (like a Caravaggio painting).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
diehard4life wrote:
Sure, I don't fully understand it, but St. Jerome and JPII apparently both practiced it, and although I don't know what the church's official stance is now about it, it shouldn't be shocking.

Well, sure, that's exactly it.

It really shouldn't be shocking. To anyone who knows their history.

Now look at the befuddled masses. The ones who kind of go to church because Ma said to. The ones who never actually read a Bible.

They hear this kind of thing, and there's going to be a lot of "What the Hell?" and a lot more reconsidering their position in the faith.

This will take a lot of the 'light weight fringe' and push them over the edge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
diehard4life wrote:
Paul, do illuminate me (like a Caravaggio painting).

I was actually named after ST Paul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
diehard4life wrote:
Sure, I don't fully understand it, but St. Jerome and JPII apparently both practiced it, and although I don't know what the church's official stance is now about it, it shouldn't be shocking.

Well, sure, that's exactly it.

It really shouldn't be shocking. To anyone who knows their history.

Now look at the befuddled masses. The ones who kind of go to church because Ma said to. The ones who never actually read a Bible.

They hear this kind of thing, and there's going to be a lot of "What the Hell?" and a lot more reconsidering their position in the faith.

This will take a lot of the 'light weight fringe' and push them over the edge.

Maybe, but sometimes those folks need to be pushed over the edge and then those folks can reassess their commitment to the church, etc.

JPII is so highly revered, even by non-Catholics like myself, that he should actually withstand the negatives, and possibly put a positive on that practice. Heck, if he and Mother Teresa can't--no one will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems odd to evaluate how the Pope should behave based primarily on how it will be received by nominal Catholics who are only there because their parents brought them or who don't know much about the Church or its history.

This seems like a non-story to me.

Edit to add: Of course, now I've got that scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail stuck in my head...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In the interests of ecumenicism, I will volunteer to whip any Popes who request it.

(For a nominal fee, of course.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
It seems odd to evaluate how the Pope should behave based primarily on how it will be received by nominal Catholics who are only there because their parents brought them or who don't know much about the Church or its history.

Odd, yes. And pretty stupid. But this type of news will not help the crumbling Catholic population.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
This is the only St. Paul I have any interest in....

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=st+pauli+girl...+
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
diehard4life wrote:
I've done 72hr water-only fasts to seek enlightenment, and plan to do longer ones. It's amazingly powerful. No way to explain it otherwise.

I've done 9 and 11 days in the past. There was a time when I would do 24-72 hours every couple months... It has been more than five years since I have done this but I am actually on a fast now since Sunday night which will end on next Sunday (game day)... I plan to do the Kicharee which is the traditional fast-break / detox menu in Ayurveda medicine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
As my friend said, I cannot believe that something that insignificant made it to CNN.

I tend to agree with her. So what.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's something he did in the past. He shouldn't beat himself up over it. Wait, what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
All my sins are of omission
badge
The kung fu hippie from Gansta City
mbmbmbmbmb
GAWD wrote:
Foucault whipped himself too.
Yes, but did PJPII enjoy acid-fueled sodomy? Perhaps that will be the next big story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.