Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Titan» Forums » Strategy

Subject: General Advice for 6-player Games... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I play a butt load on Acts. I think I have had logged about 70 games on ACTs. And while its not the same as playing a live game because you and your opponents can check the log etc. I find its good practice.
However I find myself feeling as if I am regressing as a player.
Mainly because I am losing almost every game I play on there. I realize from an experience level there are folks who play on there and at WBC that have been playing this game for 20+ years, and I however have only been playing about 5 years.

But still.. I have almost been completly eliminated in the WOTC tourney, that's 12 games. And I haven't won or come in second in any of them. Hell I don't think I will even manage a third place at this point.

So are there any general things to watch/look out for in 6 player games? I have already learned one the hard way, that is not to split your titan on the outer ring... almost ever. Unless you have the option to go up uncontested in the hex your in. Its just too risky IMO.

So I am calling on all you titan masters... any help is appreciated.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am certainly no master, but I have played quite a few 6-player games on ACTS. Playing 6-player is different than 2,3, or 4 player, that's for sure. A couple things come to mind that seem very different.

Gargoyles. There are only 21 gargoyles in the game. With 6 players given 2 each, that only leaves 9 available for mustering when the game starts. If everyone initially split their gargoyles, then at least 3 stacks will never be able to muster a gargoyle. And it seems like a huge waste to have a stack with a creature in it that is unable to muster. So, if you decide to split you gargoyles, I'd even consider mustering another gargoyle over mustering a 2nd level troll or lion, and that thought calls into question the reason for keeping the cens or ogres together to get 2nd level creatures quickly.
Also, if you're going 5th or 6th, and see that several other players have mustered gars already, maybe you should forget splitting the gars, and keep them together to try to insure at least one of your stacks can muster down the Brush/Jungle path.

Forced Attack. With 12 legions on the board at the beginning, there isn't much room for maneuvering. In a 2,3, or 4 player game, you can often move to the space with the best mustering, and there isn't much to worry about. In a 5 or 6 player game, I'd try to end my turn so that at least one of my legions probably has a move without attacking next turn.
And even if you're doing this, maybe your opponents aren't, so you may want to make sure anyone with a legion that can attack you, can move their other legion without attacking someone. Or at least, if they have a forced attack, make sure it'll be against someone else (with less creatures or in bad defensive space). Because even if you win the battle, and get 70 or 80 points, your stack will be hamstrung, with little hope of recovery.
Anyway, I think it's worth it to move somewhere that there's a lot of open space, rather than get tied up in a traffic jam with 2 or 3 other players.

I guess these aren't super specific, but they are the 2 things that come to mind when I think of 6-player Titan. Hope this helps, or even provides the start of some more comments from truly good players about how these are fantastically bad ideas.


5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Hmmm, its impossible to answer this unless I see you play. Maybe some of your opponents can give you tips after a game. If you go to a convention like TNT (at PrezCon) next month, some of your opponents will give you tips if you ask them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chockle wrote:
I am certainly no master, but I have played quite a few 6-player games on ACTS. Playing 6-player is different than 2,3, or 4 player, that's for sure. A couple things come to mind that seem very different.

Gargoyles. There are only 21 gargoyles in the game. With 6 players given 2 each, that only leaves 9 available for mustering when the game starts. If everyone initially split their gargoyles, then at least 3 stacks will never be able to muster a gargoyle. And it seems like a huge waste to have a stack with a creature in it that is unable to muster. So, if you decide to split you gargoyles, I'd even consider mustering another gargoyle over mustering a 2nd level troll or lion, and that thought calls into question the reason for keeping the cens or ogres together to get 2nd level creatures quickly.
Also, if you're going 5th or 6th, and see that several other players have mustered gars already, maybe you should forget splitting the gars, and keep them together to try to insure at least one of your stacks can muster down the Brush/Jungle path.

Forced Attack. With 12 legions on the board at the beginning, there isn't much room for maneuvering. In a 2,3, or 4 player game, you can often move to the space with the best mustering, and there isn't much to worry about. In a 5 or 6 player game, I'd try to end my turn so that at least one of my legions probably has a move without attacking next turn.
And even if you're doing this, maybe your opponents aren't, so you may want to make sure anyone with a legion that can attack you, can move their other legion without attacking someone. Or at least, if they have a forced attack, make sure it'll be against someone else (with less creatures or in bad defensive space). Because even if you win the battle, and get 70 or 80 points, your stack will be hamstrung, with little hope of recovery.
Anyway, I think it's worth it to move somewhere that there's a lot of open space, rather than get tied up in a traffic jam with 2 or 3 other players.

I guess these aren't super specific, but they are the 2 things that come to mind when I think of 6-player Titan. Hope this helps, or even provides the start of some more comments from truly good players about how these are fantastically bad ideas.




Discretion is the better part of valour approach... I used that before, the only issue I have with that is that you have to watch out that your not letting yourself get out mustered by keeping your two legions 7 high for long periods of time.

I already only move to native terrain if I can help it unless its super advantageous. The times I have won 6 players games, its been because I outlasted my opponents.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say you have to look at what the players who are winning do, think what you would do in the same situation, and then adjust your play to be more like theirs.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Lundstrom
Sweden
flag msg tools
Play carefully and defensively, try to keep your stacks close to each other, don't be too aggressive but do pounce on exposed stacks.

Most importantly though, be lucky. There's no substituting for luck.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke O'Hearn
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chockle wrote:

So, if you decide to split you gargoyles, I'd even consider mustering another gargoyle over mustering a 2nd level troll or lion, and that thought calls into question the reason for keeping the cens or ogres together to get 2nd level creatures quickly.

The primary reason to keep your Centaurs and Ogres together is so that both legions potentially have access to the entire board when you keep your Gargoyles together, the other legion is cut off of Brush and Jungle musters forever (so make sure your Gargoyles go with your Titan).

Otherwise I agree with everything you say!

At OP - six player games are a blast, but they are brutal and a bit more random. Keep playing.

- When there are enemy legions in your path before your first move, always take a moment to consider your mustering options for each number on the die and reassess your splits.
- Get a Warlock right away if you can!
- Don't split 4/3 or prematurely
- Try not to get attacked, especially outside of native terrain.
- Read about general Strategy online.
- Have fun!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Lundstrom
Sweden
flag msg tools
And make sure you have plenty of time. We had a 23 hour six-man game once.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Akhorahil wrote:
And make sure you have plenty of time. We had a 23 hour six-man game once.


Wow... everyone turtling and not hunting down titan stacks?

I'd imagine you all would be out of the bulk of the lower/mid unit types after 10-12 hrs.

Longest 6 player I've been in has been about 8hrs.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke O'Hearn
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Akhorahil wrote:
And make sure you have plenty of time. We had a 23 hour six-man game once.

This does seem incredibly long, even for 6 player Titan.
You are not recycling dead creatures are you?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Lundstrom
Sweden
flag msg tools
crimhead wrote:
Akhorahil wrote:
And make sure you have plenty of time. We had a 23 hour six-man game once.

This does seem incredibly long, even for 6 player Titan.
You are not recycling dead creatures are you?


It was super long, but with multiple remaining players, people can be extremely wary of making risky attacks (as multi-player Titan is so often decided by who doesn't have to fight tough fights). And we probably weren't playing at optimum speed there at the end of the session...

Plaid_Dragon wrote:
Akhorahil wrote:
And make sure you have plenty of time. We had a 23 hour six-man game once.


Wow... everyone turtling and not hunting down titan stacks?


Yeah, pretty much. Three players left can really stall things in the wrong context. And people don't get less careful when they know the stack won't be able to repair damage through recruiting any longer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.