10 Posts

Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition» Forums » Strategy

Subject: UK 1st round - what do you think of this strategy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
glen walling
Australia
flag msg tools
i'm not very experienced at this game, but i've studied moves a lot and looking at the strength of japan and the set up i think india must be defended at all costs, if india gets captured it's doom for the allies in the pacific and asia - particularly britain and china
this is my strategy which requires help from soviet infantry, and also help from a US bomber
this is also a strategy to deal with african invasion and requires teamwork

1.the soviets move 2 inf from caucasus, and 2 from kazakh into persia
2.the uk buys 1 fighter,6 infantry(to defend britain),and an IC (for india)
3.UK makes bombing run on italy
4.UK moves 2 fighters to karelia
5.UK moves transport from india loads 2 inf from trans jordan and drops them in india - the destroyer retreats towards south africa
6.transport loads inf and art from australia and moves 2 zones west with the destroyer (bound for south africa)
7.any surviving british ships in atlantic retreat to east US coast,(likely to be a destroyer and transport or destroyer and cruiser), and tank in east canada moves to east US
8.UK fighter in egypt flies to india
9.UK tank leaves egypt and retreats to south africa, other units except one infantry also retreat
10.UK places 6 inf, 1 fighter in britain, and the IC in india

the US moves it's bomber (or both) to britain (for combined bombing runs against italy)
also it's fighter to britain
on the US first turn they move all surviving ships in pacific to west coast - all grouped together, after purchasing 5 destroyers. 2 for east coast and 3 for west coast (2nd round will focus on transport and land units and at least another destroyer for invasion of morocco)

on the soviets 2nd turn, the 4 infantry in persia go to india

this leaves india defended with 4 soviet infantry, 5 british infantry, 1 fighter, 1 artillery, and an AA gun

this may seem like africa is neglected but i don't think italy or germany will get too far, as the brits have the units in south africa, and both britain and the US getting ready for an assault on west or northwest africa, in addition to the UK and US bombing runs on italy which should be devastating

so what do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally, I think you are overcommittng to India.

If the Allies can break Germany before Japan gets through India to Moscow, then the fate of India after that point is irrelevant. The problem is, that you commit so many UK ressources to India, that you will most likely not be able to break Germany before they invade Moscow. In that case the fate of India is also irrelevant.

In the first 3-4 games we played, the India factory strategy was popular, but in the end, the factory was always lost to Japan. The factory in India does not prevent Japan from taking the juicy "money-islands" and thus becoming a monster. Then eventually they can make a factory in French Indochina (2 capacity) and ship gear from Japan to overwhelm India.

IMO the only case where a factory in India pays off, is if the Allies choose to focus on killing Japan first. Ie. 100% US commitment to the Pacific.

A couple of more specific comments to your strategy:

I don't think you have to buy all that infantry to defend Brittain. Get some ships instead and locate them where the Luftwaffe can't reach them. (NW) The ships will help you pose some kind of threat to Germany, and that is extremely critical ASAP. For example you might be able to take Scandinavia on the following turn. UK has a large income in the first couple of rounds, so you should be able to pump out the default 3 tanks in India and still be a minor annoyance for Germany.

Also don't count on the forces in Egypt to be alive by Brittains first turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Low
United States
Mansfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Over reliance on India is a holdover from the MB edition. This focus isn't necessary, and most A&A games are really decided at the gates of Moscow, not Bombay.

When I'm playing the Axis, I'd rather see the UK throwing resources at Japan, where they are inefficiently spent, and I'm getting a free factory in India eventually. I'm more scared of D-day, because I can't stop it and crush the Soviets at the same time.

The UK's ability to land in any one of several territories is powerful. Spending in India diminishes that threat.

It may work, but I'm not a fan.

Best,
-Greg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
talrich wrote:
Over reliance on India is a holdover from the MB edition. This focus isn't necessary, and most A&A games are really decided at the gates of Moscow, not Bombay.

When I'm playing the Axis, I'd rather see the UK throwing resources at Japan, where they are inefficiently spent, and I'm getting a free factory in India eventually. I'm more scared of D-day, because I can't stop it and crush the Soviets at the same time.

The UK's ability to land in any one of several territories is powerful. Spending in India diminishes that threat.

It may work, but I'm not a fan.

Best,
-Greg

Seems like we have the same oppinion on the issue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Bjergmose
Denmark
Viby Sjælland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think go for it...but as the 2 other answered - not a good idea.
Japan will almost for certain be able to take it, without UK being able to take it back. We usually build a japanese ic on Sumatra thereby having 4 units vs India 3, not counting the japanese air-superiority.

My thoughts point-by-point;
1 - Depends on G1. How far did they go into Russia.
Normally Caucasus needs all its men.
2 - %
3 - OK
4 - Cost 5 ipc (with N.O) and is within attack range G2.
5 - Transport normally dead by J1.
6 - Within range of Jap AC.
7 - depending G1, but in most our games max 1 cru and 1 dd trn
8 - OK, if G1 doesnt take out Egypt
9 - as above
10 - %

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen w
Canada
flag msg tools
The factory option is for 1942 not 1941
I am assuming somewhat experienced axis players,If caucuas is left with only men and no counter punch into ukraine russia is already in big trouble and don't forget Italys bombardment.
Japananes player usually takes Hawaii, phillipines, borneo, east indies, and sets up for turn two aussie or india in the east indies and for sure complet assault if factory is presented to them on silver platter, I know I have taken this factory from two differant players when game first was introduced.
Allies goal in 1941 is to take berlin 1 to 2 turns before japenes tanks roll into Moscow. I did this with four American Transports and 8 Bombers. I fiented my pacific navy down to new guinea moved four bombers into south africa, And a whole lotta trash talk threating japs all the time moved my filled transports up to canada turn I bought Four Bombers, Rolled long range previous, but is not needed, moved transports into france waters and moved bombers off to south africa . GErmany lost navy previous turn from collective 3 ally attack one by one, I hit the Italy heavy twice with bombardment , landed one heavy into france than landed 2 tanks 6 men northern europe. As i had been nailing italy with bombardment no men to take N.Europe. BANG he did't even see it coming.Turn5 berlin fell to usa turn 6 britain.
However Japan was making upward of 60$ plus bonuses nad approx 20 tanks coming for russia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glen walling
Australia
flag msg tools
just realised japan could take india anyway in turn 2 if they commit to it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
british pride wrote:
just realised japan could take india anyway in turn 2 if they commit to it

I don't know about 1942 setup, but in 1941 the only chance of holding the India IC is by reinforcing with a handful of Russian infantry. This obviously will mean less Russian defense against the Germans...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen w
Canada
flag msg tools
If russia moves anymore than two Inf to India They will probably open Ukraine and or Caucus. To support India in this manner Russia will have to buy only men for first 2/3 round bring in all available allied fighters. Then allied force must land in Gibr. south african coat first turn to try and pick a fight with the Itallians.iF the Italians do not react I think Cauacus wil fall turn 3 or 4 regardless of how many men are purchased ,they will have no counterstrike against growing panzer division from Berlin. Germany taking Kareila second turn after cv purchase first rnd and transport. ALl other div. strait up the gut towards moscow strat bombing starting Second. Rd from Germans and a quick bulid of tanks for south. Germans at this point can afford to lose northern europe and or france to support axis India/ Caucus move.
This giving the germans too much freedom without really being able to hold off a supported india attack from Japan. The japs are much too strong in 1941.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darune
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
When the game came out i was a big fan of the india and/or australian factory UK1, but as other have commentet it is a bad play and only doable if you go out all KJF, even then that leaves moscow in a tight spot as you dont presure germany nearly enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.