Shaun Graham
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Everyone,

I just got finished with my first solo game of Arkham Horror (Using the King in Yellow Expansion)

First of all I got to say it was a very close and intense game. Until today I was used to playing Arkham in a group of 4 to 5 people so this was a new experience for me.
At first I was not shure on how many Investigators I should take, but decided that three could balance out the game.
So I randomly picked them (Darrell Simmons, Sister Mary, Michael McGlen), pulled "Ithaqua" as the anicent one, set the game up and started playing.
I was suprised on how easy and steadily the game was flowing, since I thought I would not be able to keep tack of all investigators, abilities and items.
After Michael McGlen got devoured right in the first gate I sent him in I randomly pulled Monterey Jack to make it three again.
Sister Mary turned out to be a very helpful character (luck in dice rolling or is she really helpful?).

Like I said the game was really intense - I finally won in the 9th round having all gates closed and 4 gate trophies.
Monterey Jack is now proud of collecting 6 monster trophies and Sister Mary was able to attain to gate trophies (Very lucky in Other World encounters).

So all in all I got to say that a Solo version of Arkham is highly recommendable. Even if you're hesitating or think sitting infront of a huge game set up all by yourself is awkward - I guarantee: I does Rock!
I had the slight feeling of playing a solo version of a PnP on Board and thensome!

One last advice: (this counts for all Arkham Games: Get yourself a large table or be prepared to crawl under the table alot!)

Arkham Solo Version: A- (due to the fact that player interaction in AH is just so fun!)

Hope you liked my first Session Report!
ShaunFable
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's all about the theme!
mbmbmbmbmb
ShaunFable wrote:
Hey Everyone,

I just got finished with my first solo game of Arkham Horror (Using the King in Yellow Expansion)

First of all I got to say it was a very close and intense game. Until today I was used to playing Arkham in a group of 4 to 5 people so this was a new experience for me.

Was it better by yourself?

Quote:
At first I was not shure on how many Investigators I should take, but decided that three could balance out the game.
So I randomly picked them (Darrell Simmons, Sister Mary, Michael McGlen), pulled "Ithaqua" as the anicent one, set the game up and started playing.
I was suprised on how easy and steadily the game was flowing, since I thought I would not be able to keep tack of all investigators, abilities and items.
After Michael McGlen got devoured right in the first gate I sent him in I randomly pulled Monterey Jack to make it three again.
Sister Mary turned out to be a very helpful character (luck in dice rolling or is she really helpful?).

Depends on who you ask. She's rated fairly low by the stats on the FFG forum. But she has a strong following too.

Quote:
Like I said the game was really intense - I finally won in the 9th round having all gates closed and 4 gate trophies.

Rare victory. Congratulations.

Quote:
Monterey Jack is now proud of collecting 6 monster trophies and Sister Mary was able to attain to gate trophies (Very lucky in Other World encounters).

Luck (faith) is her forte.

Quote:
So all in all I got to say that a Solo version of Arkham is highly recommendable. Even if you're hesitating or think sitting infront of a huge game set up all by yourself is awkward - I guarantee: I does Rock!
I had the slight feeling of playing a solo version of a PnP on Board and thensome!

One last advice: (this counts for all Arkham Games: Get yourself a large table or be prepared to crawl under the table alot!)

Or get a dice tower.

Quote:
Arkham Solo Version: A- (due to the fact that player interaction in AH is just so fun!)

Hope you liked my first Session Report!
ShaunFable

I agree and I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Havighorst
Germany
Cologne
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for the report. I say it is unusual that you one your first solo game, I usually get totally smashed and ridiculed by the ancient ones and its dominions. I completely agree on your recommendation to use a large table, this is a huge game.

I tend to play with three investigators too, however, I do not add new investigators should anyone die, this makes it more difficult.

How did you like the King in Yellow Expansion as compared to the base game without it ?

Danke für die Review, weiter so :-)

Henrik
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Graham
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Henrik:

basically the new "mechanics" in the King in Yellow did not really turn out awesome as I thought ... but the couple of new encounter cards and items etc. are really fine things I believe! After all I got to say that I would have rather gotten another expansion but I can't decide which one. Any recommendations?

Thanks for giving feedback
Shaun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's all about the theme!
mbmbmbmbmb
ShaunFable wrote:
@Henrik:

basically the new "mechanics" in the King in Yellow did not really turn out awesome as I thought ...

I didn't see any comments about the herald. That would make a big difference. Also play the touring variant and you'll see a big difference.

Without the herald, KiY adds the chance for a little more terror raising and a small chance of losing in a new way (Next Act cards) and was designed around using Hastur as the Old One.

Quote:
but the couple of new encounter cards and items etc. are really fine things I believe! After all I got to say that I would have rather gotten another expansion but I can't decide which one. Any recommendations?

Recommendations are all over the place on this forum, but usually the recommendation is Dunwich Horror. Once you're comfortable with Dunwich, then get Innsmouth. IMO Kingsport and even CotDP (great theme, below average execution) are optional.

Now adding Dunwich Horror to Kiy will reduce the advertised effect of Dunwich Horror which is the Dunwich Horror monster itself, but adding five unstable gates from Dunwich will go a long way to increasing your options and will increase the challenge too. Almost everyone likes the Madness and Injury cards too.

Innsmouth is even tougher and adds 4 more unstable locations.

Both add more investigators and more Ancient Ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glaaki + KiY Herald combo just loves Terror increases...

shudder

You'll lose stuff and probably get hit with a nasty Blight to boot (which in some cases could increase Terror more).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.