Popular Tags: [View All]
Clint
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's official. As of today (1/28/10), Wizards of the Coast announced that they will not be renewing their Star Wars license with Lucas Arts. The Star Wars Miniatures game and Star Wars RPG will be discontinued. The Masters of the Force expansion will be the last for SWM. Here's the official announcement: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75862/22320337/W....

Tis a sad day. On the bright side, at least my budget will be happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it´s kind of sad.
While I personally stopped buying anything beyond "Force unleashed" (the pace of new sets was just too frantic for me), I don´t regret investing a couple of hundred Euros into the minis a single bit!
This a fantastic game, a real hobby game and not some fast "franchise tie-in" and I will likely play for decades to come.

On the other hand, there could be a great opportunity, if, let´s say, Fantasy Flight Games, could pick up the Star Wars gaming licence...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jakster wrote:
Yes, it´s kind of sad.
While I personally stopped buying anything beyond "Force unleashed" (the pace of new sets was just too frantic for me), I don´t regret investing a couple of hundred Euros into the minis a single bit!
This a fantastic game, a real hobby game and not some fast "franchise tie-in" and I will likely play for decades to come.

On the other hand, there could be a great opportunity, if, let´s say, Fantasy Flight Games, could pick up the Star Wars gaming licence...

That would be excellent. Star Wars deserves a War of the Ring type game to tell its story - or one of the stories anyway.

Palpatine's War (movies 1-3)
Anakin's Redemption (movies 1-6, focus on Anakin)
Rebels and Empire (movies 4-6)

Any of those could work as a theme for an epic game. Trying to fit all 6 movies into one game would be pretty tough, though, I'd think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jakster wrote:
Yes, it´s kind of sad.

Agreed. I'm sad but have no regrets for the money I've sunk into the game. I got hooked on Star Wars Minis about a year ago, and promptly sucked several friends into the game as well. We've had a lot of fun playing it, and I foresee we'll continue to have fun for years to come. In fact, given the vast re-playability of the game (different scenarios, squads, point values, etc.), I don't think we'll ever be able to exhaust the gaming options.

Regarding the possibility that FFG, or some other company, will buy the game rights...I wouldn't get your hopes up. I have a hard time believing Wizards of the Coast will sell the rights to the game mechanics. Perhaps we'll see other Star Wars games, but not Star Wars Minis (unless WotC decides to bring back the product).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B
United States
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was actually thinking there were enough miniatures already and it's getting to where we are getting remakes and lesser characters to fill sets.

It's a great game and I'll enjoy it for many years to come. I'm not selling mine - in fact I may pick up a bunch if the price drops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Atomic batteries to power! Turbines to speed!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty unhappy about this decision. It's the RPG too, and this is on top of them cancelling the D&D minis skirmish game and D&D3.5. All in all WOTC will no longer be publishing anything that I want to buy.

There were still so many charcaters I was hoping for, but no chance now for the likes of Mungo Baobab, Master Thon or Darth Zannah
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
So WotC is now down to 1 miniatures game: Axis & Allies (which could theoretically be thought of more properly as an Avalon Hill game.)

I was hoping back when Hasbro acquired them that WotC would have the money muscle behind them to really push the gaming envelope with interesting product. We managed to get Dreamblade and that was about it. Maybe when the world economy is perceived to have exited the proverbial sh*tter we'll see some gaming companies with clout start filling out the ranks of minis games again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lucas Licensing has posted a response to the WotC announcement:

http://www.starwars.com/games/othergames/news20100128wotc/in....

According to the press release...

Lucas Licensing continues to see miniatures, roleplaying games and card games as viable and important elements in its Star Wars licensing program, both in digital form (like the recently launched trading card game within Star Wars Galaxies), and in physical products like figures, books and cards. Keep checking StarWars.com for announcements regarding future products in this area in the coming months.

Interesting...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting.

Here's betting they have another published lined up already.

I would love to see whoever picks up doing the miniatures to carry on with compatible rules. Depends how they were contracted I guess, but I'm guessing Wizards will retain the rights to the rules. Which would make it an expensive investment to go the route of continuing the same game.

And the minimum I hope if someone picks up the minis licence they keep to the same scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mongoose Publishing advised in their State of the Mongoose earlier that they were going to be doing a new miniature line this year and now this announcement. Man, that'd be nice if MP was picking up the SW line. I'd love to see a Battlefield Evo:Star Wars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, all good things come to an end. However, we probably have enough miniatures for the Star Wars line now. If this leads to some Fantasy Flight board games, this would be an awesome development. Imagine a Twilight Imperium 4th edition rethemed as a Star Wars game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugavine wrote:
Very interesting.

I would love to see whoever picks up doing the miniatures to carry on with compatible rules. Depends how they were contracted I guess, but I'm guessing Wizards will retain the rights to the rules. Which would make it an expensive investment to go the route of continuing the same game.

And the minimum I hope if someone picks up the minis licence they keep to the same scale.

Honestly, I can not see any company pick up the Star Wars licence and let people play their game with minis from another company, were the money is made (not some rule or scenario book).
I could imagine something like a ground mass battle game, with individual vehicles or a squad of troops on one base.
As long as the rules are not simply totally broken or the minis are simply ugly, I would invest into such a game.

Hey, maybe whatever is coming is still in development and someone from the new owner of the licence reads this here.

Should we start a "What we want" thread?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jensen
United States
Fredericksburg
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jakster wrote:
Ugavine wrote:
Very interesting.

Honestly, I can not see any company pick up the Star Wars licence and let people play their game with minis from another company, were the money is made (not some rule or scenario book).
I could imagine something like a ground mass battle game, with individual vehicles or a squad of troops on one base.
As long as the rules are not simply totally broken or the minis are simply ugly, I would invest into such a game.

Hey, maybe whatever is coming is still in development and someone from the new owner of the licence reads this here.

Should we start a "What we want" thread?
I agree with your points.

When Wizkids re-opened, the figures were still produced by the same company, just the ownership of the company changed.

This is different, unless Hasbro wants to do it themselves, but otherwise it would have to be a new company and new ownership.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmb
I hope that this opens a path for Wizards of The Coast to start producing GI Joe miniatures (28mm)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tocoking wrote:
I hope that this opens a path for Wizards of The Coast to start producing GI Joe miniatures (28mm)

That would be cool....I wish they'd transfer SW over to the Heroscape brand. That would have been schweeet, specially if they made SW HS terrain tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
tocoking wrote:

It's very cruel of you to get my hopes up like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Armydillo978 wrote:
I wish they'd transfer SW over to the Heroscape brand. That would have been schweeet, specially if they made SW HS terrain tiles.

Playing Heroscape the other night I said the same thing to my g/f.

IF whoever does the minis brings out a whole new game they will have a fight on their hands IMHO. Lots of players have spent thousands of £££/$$$ on SWM; they will be relucatnat to move on and content to play SWM with the minis they have. So it would have to be a good game with good minis.

To sell new minis to existing Role-Players they will need to keep the same scale otherwise I cannot see them selling to that market either.

While I am disappointed and very sad to see SWM end, financially I see it as a good point to finish with CMGs. With any spare cash I might be able to but a few older D&D minis I'm missing. But generally this may well be it for CMGs for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Armydillo978 wrote:
tocoking wrote:

That would be cool....I wish they'd transfer SW over to the Heroscape brand. That would have been schweeet, specially if they made SW HS terrain tiles.

This Heroscape idea is a good one. Star Wars miniatures on the Heroscape terrain tiles would look so cool. I'd definitely buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salokin Bayrat
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thdizzy wrote:
Armydillo978 wrote:
tocoking wrote:

This Heroscape idea is a good one. Star Wars miniatures on the Heroscape terrain tiles would look so cool. I'd definitely buy it.

I hear WotC dropped the license so I wouldn't hold my breath for Heroscape.

Star Wars, Actionclix, would be a cool group of sets of main characters.

GI Joe is another great idea, clix, SW/D&D minis type or other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Superfly Snuka
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love minis, but enough is enough and WotC is doing the right thing. I bought 1 booster of The Force Unleashed and when I saw all the new abilities I got pushed away. The tactics of the game were becoming second place to the actual characters in your squad. Every set had their super studs, but when force push came out and force lightning became common skills, it started to break the game. A lot like Magic. They should stop making that game too. It is a great marketing strategy that they are using. They force you to keep buying the new stuff because the old stuff can't compete.

I love minis, I just wish I could find people who still play it. The Vassal game just doesn't have the same charm as the real game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Snyder
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back when I had better connections with WOTC, I seem to remember someone saying that LucasAtrs was very hard to work with. I believe there were licensing issues with the first release of SWM, and it was cause for WOTC to stop going to the SW cons. At one point I think LucasArts might have even sued WOTC due to a perception that Wotc wasn't promoting the game sufficiently/correctly.

Good luck to whoever lands the next generation of this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donnyrides wrote:
I love minis, but enough is enough and WotC is doing the right thing. I bought 1 booster of The Force Unleashed and when I saw all the new abilities I got pushed away. The tactics of the game were becoming second place to the actual characters in your squad. Every set had their super studs, but when force push came out and force lightning became common skills, it started to break the game. A lot like Magic. They should stop making that game too. It is a great marketing strategy that they are using. They force you to keep buying the new stuff because the old stuff can't compete.

I love minis, I just wish I could find people who still play it. The Vassal game just doesn't have the same charm as the real game.

I disagree. I haven't been happy with some of the blatant powercreep they've coughed out, but I'd still happily continue buying this game for as long as they'd have kept making it. I enjoy playing it, and there are still so very, very many characters (and not just the obscure ones) that they could have made for this. And what with all the buzzing of new stuff coming out for the SW setting lately, there would certainly have been even more great characters to make minis of just in the next year or two alone.

Of course, I bought Star Wars Miniatures with the idea that I could use them for SWMinis as well as several other SW games too, so that may color my view. Either way, I'm terribly disappointed about the game's upcoming ending.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the power creep was pretty reasonable, to be honest. Some is necessary to promote sales of the newer sets, but it's not like pieces become obsolete in two or three sets. The obsolete pieces are the ones that are several years old (or the ones that were never competitive to begin with).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know. As much of a fan of the game as I am, I'd still have to say that figures like "Yoda on Kybuck" and the "IG Lancers" did a heck of a lot to hurt SWMinis for casual play. One of the things I've always loved about the game was how you could make some pretty cool squads of troopers and generics. After all, hordes of stormtroopers and clonetroopers and battledroids and various aliens are a big part of the SW setting too, but the Lancers and "Yobuck" utterly squash those teams into jelly and make them nearly unplayable. Definitely not some of the designer's better ideas for game balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnluckyNumber wrote:
I don't know. As much of a fan of the game as I am, I'd still have to say that figures like "Yoda on Kybuck" and the "IG Lancers" did a heck of a lot to hurt SWMinis for casual play. One of the things I've always loved about the game was how you could make some pretty cool squads of troopers and generics. After all, hordes of stormtroopers and clonetroopers and battledroids and various aliens are a big part of the SW setting too, but the Lancers and "Yobuck" utterly squash those teams into jelly and make them nearly unplayable. Definitely not some of the designer's better ideas for game balance.

I agree with that. Those pieces are the worst not because they're so overpowered in general, but because they're overpowered against a particular type of squad (swarms) to the point that swarms are no longer a viable option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.