Subject: Welsh rabbit rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife is currently listening to The Complete Book of Cheese on LibriVox which has two complete chapters on Welsh rabbit. In spite of the name, the dish has no meat in it, and so my wife and I decided-- since we're both avid cheese-lovers-- to try out one of the recipes. We had to make a couple of substitutions due to locally available ingredients and the fact Worcestershire sauce is not vegetarian; we used soy sauce instead.

Anyway, we decided the sauce is good but the dish is not sufficiently better than (English style) toasted cheese to merit the extra effort. So, we're working on what to try the sauce on next.

Still, I got beer out of the deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a fiend for Welsh Rabbit. That being said I've never sought it out. But I will eat it out of existence if presented to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
All my sins are of omission
badge
The kung fu hippie from Gansta City
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
There is not wabbit in the Rarebit, although more people seem to call it Rabbit than Rarebit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
oi_you_nutter wrote:
There is not wabbit in the Rarebit, although more people seem to call it Rabbit than Rarebit.

Rarebit is a more modern name for the dish. Rabbit is the noun traditionally used-- as per that same link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
My Mum calls it "rabbit, well, actually rare bit, but rabbit". But then, she really doesn't care for it either. (my ancestry on my Mum's side is Welsh).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I''m Welsh (as in born, bred, living in Wales), and I've always known it as Welsh Rarebit, though when people look confused I clarify with "cheese on toast".

According to that wikipedia article:

"Welsh Rabbit is amusing and right. Welsh Rarebit is stupid and wrong."

But this opinion was stated a long time ago, by an Oxford-educated Englishman, so it's perhaps best to add a pinch of salt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
My mother made kickass rarebit. She always added a dash of sherry with very sharp cheddar to give it an extra tang. Nom nom nom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
My wife is currently listening to The Complete Book of Cheese on LibriVox which has two complete chapters on Welsh rabbit. In spite of the name, the dish has no meat in it, and so my wife and I decided-- since we're both avid cheese-lovers-- to try out one of the recipes. We had to make a couple of substitutions due to locally available ingredients and the fact Worcestershire sauce is not vegetarian; we used soy sauce instead.

You can get vegetarian Worcester Sauce or a very similar spicy sauces. For example Henderson's Relish (on the wikipedia page) is vegan. Soy sauce isn't an adequate replacement.

There was also English Rabbit and Scotch Rabbit at one time.

Personally I find Welsh Rarebit to be a little hit & miss. Depends a lot on the cheese, and proportions of Worcester Sauce and mustard powder to other ingredients. I've had it rarebit where the cheese flavour doesn't come through enough for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.