Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
People are stupid.

There, I've said it. That helped a lot.

Now here's my explanation.

So I was on BSW today, hoping for some good one-on-one games, looking for any games that were open. So I entered a room, asked if I could join, and someone else joined straight from the lobby.

That's fine, I thought, just one idiot won't hurt.shake

So I went to another room, asked if I could join, got a positive response, and was again beaten to it by a moron straight from the lobby. Ugh.

This cycle went on for another 2-3 times before I just figured that if I started my own game, someone would join and we could have an enjoyable 2p game. So I initiated a game in an empty room. A guy comes and asks if he could join, and I politely told him "yes!" (Yes, it included the exclamation point. I was excited that someone was being actually polite.) But, as Murphy would have it, someone else joined straight from the lobby.

What do you do here? Tell him to leave? Leave yourself? I let him have his fun and I stayed in the game. It would have been an enjoyable game if this guy who joined from the lobby didn't take up 1-2 minutes for every turn, as well as every time a militia or ghost ship was played. So I left after that, and continued my hunt for a 2p game.

And the exact same thing happened. Again.

People are stupid.

If you are a stupid person, please stop being stupid and be awesome instead. I really appreciate when people ask to join. Learn some manners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
Plaatsvervangende Schaamte
badge
mbmbmb
Friff14 wrote:
People are stupid.

So I was on BSW today, hoping for some good one-on-one games, looking for any games that were open. So I entered a room, asked if I could join, and someone else joined straight from the lobby.

So I went to another room, asked if I could join, got a positive response, and was again beaten to it by a moron straight from the lobby. Ugh.

This cycle went on for another 2-3 times before I just figured that if I started my own game, someone would join and we could have an enjoyable 2p game. So I initiated a game in an empty room. A guy comes and asks if he could join, and I politely told him "yes!" (Yes, it included the exclamation point. I was excited that someone was being actually polite.) But, as Murphy would have it, someone else joined straight from the lobby.

What do you do here? Tell him to leave? Leave yourself? I let him have his fun and I stayed in the game. It would have been an enjoyable game if this guy who joined from the lobby didn't take up 1-2 minutes for every turn, as well as every time a militia or ghost ship was played. So I left after that, and continued my hunt for a 2p game.

People are stupid.

If you are a stupid person, please stop being stupid and be awesome instead. I really appreciate when people ask to join. Learn some manners.

There is a check-box for allowing/disallowing people from joining from the main panel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kurasz
United States
Macomb
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is frustrating, but isn't there an box to turn off the option of joining from the lobby? I thought it was at the bottom of the same box? Check it out next time you are on. I also think people need to focus more on being awesome.

Rick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Weeks
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you start your own game uncheck the box in the game options that allows people to join from the manager. Most people who don't join directly will ask. If people didn't want to allow others to join from the manager they would do the same. I, like you always enter the room, ask and then join but not everyone plays this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you are the first one in the room, sit down and click host.

That won't necessarily stop someone from sitting down, but it prevents them from starting the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
because it's all I ever wanted to be..
badge
Cloning gamers since 2003
mbmbmbmbmb
Friff14 wrote:
People are stupid.

People are stupid.

Hallelujah!! Preach it, Brother!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Bazynski
Poland
Warsaw
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
Friff14 wrote:
stop being stupid and be awesome instead.

True story?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janez Lužar
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly play Transamerica and if there is still room for more players I don't mind (but I think It's proper to ask first) if new players join directly, but if they are taking the last spot and someone else asked before him If he can join I tell him that someone else was here before him. Mostly they appologize and leave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Friff14 wrote:
People are stupid.

It doesn't help. What helps is to realize that people are stupid, and the most stupid ones are those who don't even realize they are stupid. Dunning-Kruger.

So those guys just jumping into sessions like that aren't only unmannered. They don't even realize they're unmannererd. And what's worse, even if you tell them they are, they still won't get it.

You haven't seen the log-in screen for World of Warcraft? One of the hint is "being nice and friendly to your team-mates is a good way of getting reinvited!". First I thought like 'Well, DUH!' but after a couple of days in the game I found out that 1) a lot of people don't realize that, and 2) a lot of people don't realize that they are un-nice and unfriendly, so they don't get the tip. They go around being asshats, and are so full of themselves that they are confident that they're extremely nice to everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maaike Fest
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So you wanted a one on one game, but did the others as well? What did the room descriptions indicate? Why call other people stupid because they want to join the game as well? Why is it you that decides that the game has to be 2-player in someone else's room?

If you really want to play 2-player only, I guess it would indeed be best to open your own room and set the right options . I've noticed that a lot of players prefer 3 or 4 players on BSW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
If the room's host is allowing people to join from the main panel, they obviously don't mind if people join from the main panel - which, in turn, does not make it impolite to join directly from the main panel, as they have already been given blanket permission to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaron Racah
Israel
Tel Aviv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Friff14 wrote:
What do you do here? Tell him to leave? Leave yourself? I let him have his fun and I stayed in the game.

I usually say something like: "Sorry, xxx was here first".
If you play with the lobby-jumper, you're encouraging that behaviour.

I also turn on "host" (which means only I can start the game) and turn off joining from the lobby. Note, however, that merely removing the check on "allow players to join from the game manager" is not enough. You have to click "gameyell" with the check removed (or command-line gameyell with a hyphen before your text, e.g. "gameyell -2er"). For some reason, disallowing joining from the lobby is part of gameyell, not of room properties.

Another option is to turn on "invisible", which would hide you completely from players in the game manager. I find that experienced BSWers usually rely on gameyell to find games, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Tanner, it's quite unmannered calling people names wihtout knowing the facts. Did you realize that BSW's interface is just plain bullshit and completely unintuitive? Most people even don't know how this damn lobby works. Years ago clicking on a game didn't automatically join you, now it does. You have to right-click and choose the appropriate context menu option in order to NOT automatically join.

This stupid behavior is BSW's fault, not the users'. Even if you know this, from time to time, you happen to mis-click and then you've got the mess. The developers must have been drunk when changing the good ol' interface to the current piece of c***.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
If the room's host is allowing people to join from the main panel, they obviously don't mind if people join from the main panel

Either that, or they don't know how to make the room "dark green".

My procedure to start a new room:

1. Right-click on a free room
2. Go to the game room but don't join
3. Make the room invisible as quickly as possible, so nobody will join before I'm ready
4. /join
5. /option host, and other game options
6. Turn invisible off
7. Shout for people: "/gameyell - Looking for opponents, no riff-raff". The hyphen at the start makes the room dark green in the manager, so it's impossible to join directly from there.

(Or I play only with friends, especially dominion)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarvin Domingo
Australia
Glenmore Park
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't want people to join directly - disable the blue check at the bottom of the game room manager, so your room becomes dark green and players have to enter room before clicking join.

Light green rooms are basically a desperate call for fellow gamers. For games like Take 6 and Ligretto, I join light green games directly from the lobby with no problems.

For every other game, I enter the room and ask first as not all game hosts seem to understand the dark green/light green concept. Although its good etiquette to ask first, I see light green rooms as a way for gamers to find players quickly with no 'ask first' hassle, and that's how I use it when I host games, and how I'd like to see it adopted in the future to save time and give more time for gaming.

So if you don't want people to join your game directly, make it dark green. If you don't want people to start your game, make yourself host. If someone joins without your permission, click Reset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
because it's all I ever wanted to be..
badge
Cloning gamers since 2003
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, when the game ends and someone joins, all options for the room reset.

My rant is that your playing with friends and the game just ended. Someone comes in, joins, then starts without letting others join.

That is just plain rude.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Latto
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
If the room's host is allowing people to join from the main panel, they obviously don't mind if people join from the main panel - which, in turn, does not make it impolite to join directly from the main panel, as they have already been given blanket permission to do so.
If I'm setting up a board game for FTF play at a con, I could display a big sign saying "Please don't join without asking". But even if I don't choose to display such a sign, I would still find it rude if someone sat down and grabbed the green pieces without saying "Can I join you?" first.

Even if I displayed a big sign, saying "Please join! No need to ask!", I wouldn't expect someone who sat down to randomly choose a first player and start playing, without asking whether I wanted to play a 2-player game or wait for more players. Yet I see players on BSW do the equivalent (sit down and type /start immediately, without saying a word) all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jcaraway wrote:
My rant is that your playing with friends and the game just ended. Someone comes in, joins, then starts without letting others join.

If you're playing with friends, make the room invisible. The invisible option is not reset when the game ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said, the checkmark which allows/disallows joining from the manager makes this a non-issue. If you want to join someone's game, and that person allows joining from the manager, then you join from the manager too - it's not impolite since the host chose it to be so. If you create a game and prefer people asking to join, check off the checkmark. There! No more stupid people bugging you.

My issue with stupid people on BSW is mostly the fact that it's simply impossible to play a satisfying 3- or 4-player game. Everyone only wants 2ers, and it takes AGES to set up a game with more players. Of course, whenever I manage to actually achieve this, odds are huge that one of the players will be some moron who will never fail to simply drop out or freeze mid-game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Berquist
United States
Portage
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
Not quite sure I understand this rant. I guess I'm one of those stupid people that doesn't know their stupid. I was always confused myself when someone asked to join my game. I always answered, "No, I entered this room and started this game just to stare at background and a random selection of card piles."

I mean, you start a public room on a public game server developed so people can find opponents to play a game. And it's impolite to join said open game on an open server with the intent of playing said public game that the whole dang system is designed for. A token "May I?" is necessary?

I get it. I don't stop at random games at Cons and sit down, picking up pieces ready to play. But I also don't go to Cons at 9am on a Saturday wearing nothing but a robe while drinking coffee and smoking a cigar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
/masterreset
/accept
/join
/start

is your very best friend

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaron Racah
Israel
Tel Aviv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cexshun wrote:
I don't stop at random games at Cons and sit down, picking up pieces ready to play.

So why do you do the exact same thing on BSW?

There are many possible reasons for someone to sit in an open room, but still want to have control over who joins their game. Perhaps they don't want to play with unregistered players. Perhaps, like me, they prefer to play with more proficient players (as indicated by elo rating). Most commonly, perhaps they already have the number of players they want, and didn't manage to start the game before you hopped in.

BSW does not provide a way to automatically set up those filters (including number of players). Common courtesy serves instead.

Making the room dark green solves the OP's issue with lobby-jumpers, but doesn't stop people who just walk in and join the game without asking (or the worse kind, who keep rejoining when you reset and ask them to leave).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hurst
United States
Plain City
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:
The developers must have been drunk when changing the good ol' interface to the current piece of c***.

Is the obscured word "crap?" You don't need to edit that one.

I can think of another c-word that would need to be obscured to spare sensibilities, but it doesn't make any sense in context.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Hiwiller
United States
Winter Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cexshun wrote:
I mean, you start a public room on a public game server developed so people can find opponents to play a game. And it's impolite to join said open game on an open server with the intent of playing said public game that the whole dang system is designed for. A token "May I?" is necessary?

I don't get it either.

My first times playing, I was naturally struggling with the interface. I finally joined a game and the guy cursed me out for not asking whether I could join or not. I apologized, said I was new, that I was still trying to figure things out and still got bitched out even more. Then the guy dropped a third of the way into the game. So who was the rude one exactly?

Of all the times I've played since, I've never had anyone say that I couldn't join. So, yeah, count me as another one who doesn't get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Berquist
United States
Portage
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
I've had people tell me when I join a game that they only wanted 2 players, to which I politely apologized and backed out to the lobby.

But there is a strong line between the real world on the web. Not all social constructs carry over. I don't buy the "you wouldn't do it in the real world" excuse. It's unfair to have some unwritten fringe geek rule, then get angry at people for not knowing about it nor understanding it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.