Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Sprague
United States
Chico
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Two Fighters make a combat move into a land territory to attack two Bombers. The dice battle is 3 vs 1. This makes sense to me because attacking Bombers, even if they are on the ground, is not without risk (small arms defense around a landing strip perhaps).

However, two Bombers make a combat move into a land territory to attack two Fighters. The dice battle is 4 vs 4. The fighters defending at a 4 assumes they are in the air, in which case a Bomber could never attack at a 4.

Is this just the way it is? Am I interpreting the combat sequence correctly? Thank you in advance for your opinions!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Catalinajohn wrote:
Is this just the way it is?

In short: Yes.

The game is very abstract, so one should probably put too much thought into too such issues.

Another similar case:

3 inf and 1 bomber attack 2 inf and 1 figther. The fighter scores a hit. Realistically one might say, that the fighter probably shot down the bomber, but the hit would typically be applied to one of the cheaper inf. There are lots of similarly wierd examples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen trump
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Fortress America has a more complicated casualty rule.
Infantry can only target Inf unless there are no inf left in which case they can target armor/mech. If there are neither inf nor armor the infantry can shoot down a plane.
Armor can always choose to target inf or armor. If neither are present they can target Air units.
Air units can target Air or armor or inf.

Whenever you want to make something more logical, it tends to complicate things.

I do agree with the choice of eliminating Transports as cheap casualties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Low
United States
Mansfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Catalinajohn wrote:
Is this just the way it is?
It's a strategic level game, not tactical. You're thinking in terms of bullets and bombs, rather than divisions and assets.

Did the bombers attack the airfields once, or several times that month? Did they catch the fighters on the ground, or kill pilots, or damage aircraft, or hangers, or destory a munitions depot? Did the fighters get the jump on the bombers and knock them out of the sky?

That's what the dice decide.

Tell whatever narrative you enjoy, but it's all abstracted in game terms. I would say if the bombers hit and fighters miss, then they "caught them on the ground". If the bombers miss, and the fighters hit, then the fighters were ready for the attack and came from above! If the result is mixed, then maybe the bomber's first wave was a surprise, but the remaining fighters chased the bombers home, inflicting heavy losses.

-Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sprague
United States
Chico
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Copy that! I think it's all starting to sink in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Or some bombers like flying fortresses with turrets on the side drop their pay load and use their MG's to shoot land, air or sea units, the reasons their bad at defending is that their valuable and kept away from potential places that the enemy can attack leaving the ordinary bombers to defend reflecting the "1" bombers defend but the awesome "4" they attack on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.