Domenico Licheri
Italy
London
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear all,
I need help with a question relating to Rail Bonus and Interception.
This is probably a common occurrence so I apologise in advance if this has been already resolved, but I was unable to find an answer in the rules or on the web.

The question is as follows: rules on Rail Movement Bonus at point 5.92 state:
“A force using the rail movement bonus may not enter an enemy-occupied space, even if it has a friendly PC marker in it.”

Rules on Interception at point 5.81 state:
“An interception can occur whenever an active enemy force enters an adjacent road/rail connected space that does not contain an enemy SP or fort.”
And later:
“A successful interception allows the force to be placed in the space prior to the enemy force entering the space, causing an immediate battle.”

Consider a Corps, Division or Cavalry Brigade that has used the full normal movement allowance moving exclusively along friendly (not enemy controlled or neutral) rail connections and that, being entitled to a two-space bonus uses the first bonus movement point to cross a rail connection to enter a enter a friendly-controlled space that happens to be adjacent to an inactive enemy force.
The enemy force successfully intercepts and enters the interception space.

Is the active moving force is still allowed to enter the space so that battle can follow even if in this case the rail bonus is being used to enter what has become an enemy occupied space (as an exception to 5.92).

The alternative would be that the active force must stop and can not enter the interception space, in which case the interception does not cause an immediate battle (as an exception to 5.81).

Thanks in advance for your patience and help, and regards,
Domenico

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
dlicher wrote:
Consider a Corps, Division or Cavalry Brigade that has used the full normal movement allowance moving exclusively along friendly (not enemy controlled or neutral) rail connections and that, being entitled to a two-space bonus uses the first bonus movement point to cross a rail connection to enter a enter a friendly-controlled space that happens to be adjacent to an inactive enemy force.
The enemy force successfully intercepts and enters the interception space.

Is the active moving force is still allowed to enter the space so that battle can follow even if in this case the rail bonus is being used to enter what has become an enemy occupied space (as an exception to 5.92).

I'm not an expert. Wait for someone else to comment, but I would say that in the (rare!) case you present, there's a battle. Your army moves into the space, but is successfully intercepted by the enemy. Fight a battle.

Quote:
The alternative would be that the active force must stop and can not enter the interception space, in which case the interception does not cause an immediate battle (as an exception to 5.81).

AFAIK, there is no "bumping back" provision in the rules such that an interception would cause this result. There are some cards that allow your opponent to cancel certain moves, but no interpretation of the rules that I can see will allow for this secondary result you suggest. By its very nature, an interception can only be made against a formation that moves into the space into which the enemy intercepts.

Then again, I have been wrong enough at enough rules questions in enough games, that you should probably never rely on my opinion alone.

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Bucey
United States
Lancaster
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Not only is it "still allowed to enter the space so that battle can follow" but it has to.

The rail bonus simply means that your intent to use rail must be determined by the status of the spaces moved into when you start your move. Regardless of how the movement is done, an interception occurs during the move and places the interceptor into the hex and the moving player must attack. The fact that he was using rail bonus to move is not negated by the interception itself in regards to entering the hex.

On the other hand, should the moving player win the battle his move would end even if he had a 2-1 odds if he had already moved his standard move or more, or would prevent him from finishing his move using rail bonus had he moved less than his standard move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domenico Licheri
Italy
London
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris, Steven,
Thanks for your help with this, and this is now crystal clear.

To summarise (and this is mostly a re-phrase of Steven’s clear response):

A force that is eligible to gain a rail movement bonus is entitled to make the extra movement.

If Interception occurs it does so when the movement has already been executed: the question of whether the force can make the extra movement is tested prior to the movement and has at this point already been settled.
Interception then results in battle, as normal.
If then the moving force has a 2 to 1 numerical advantage at the beginning of the battle and wins the battle then it could theoretically continue to move, however, the moving force would now no longer meet the eligibility criteria for the rail bonus as it would have previously in the move entered an enemy-occupied space (i.e. to enter the space where the battle occurred).

I can not think of other situations apart from interceptions where this could be relevant (and so it is perhaps irrelevant), but this interpretation implies that the right to the 2 extra rail bonus movement points is earned “one point at a time” and that eligibility for the rail bonus is checked again (in the background, so to speak) once the first of the two bonus movements has been used.

Thanks again for your help with this, and regards,
Domenico

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.