Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Ever wonder what the future of Board Gaming may look like? Slashdot knoweth, and speculates that Apple provideth...

http://apple.slashdot.org/story/10/01/29/1450255/Has-Apple-C...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darksurtur
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Because no game ever needs a board bigger than 7.5 in by 10 in. Or hidden information. Or hands of cards. $500 pseudo-laptops are way more economical for board gaming that those ultra-expensive boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darksurtur wrote:
Awesome! Because no game ever needs a board bigger than 7.5 in by 10 in. Or hidden information. Or hands of cards. $500 pseudo-laptops are way more economical for board gaming that those ultra-expensive boards.
No, no; see, you're also supposed to have an iPhone for each player to keep their hidden information on. See? Solves that problem. And since everyone that matters has an iPhone anyway, it doesn't even factor into the price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
One future, perhaps.

I have no doubt that the games already there will make the jump to bigger and faster. Catan and Hive among them. The stunningly fast iPad with its IPS screen and ability to zoom and manipulate via touch is an ideal board gaming platform. Not perfect, but really nice to work with.

Having made seven games for the App store so far, I'm even contemplating un-retiring and jumping back into development on a multiplayer tactical WW2 game with the Unity engine (I'm a pre v1 adopter and former tutorial writer) so I can go top down 2D or 3D ... no hexes, great graphics, etc.

There will be a lot of new gaming horizons opening with this (v1) device. Just wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What games have you made for the Iphone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.