19 Posts

Tobago» Forums » General

Subject: How many players recomended? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Andersson
Sweden
flag msg tools
Can it be played and enjoyed by two players or does it need at least three?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have played it two player...it's fine...like most games I enjoy it with more, but it plays okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garry_rice wrote:
My wife and I have played it two player...it's fine...like most games I enjoy it with more, but it plays okay.

Two players is okay. The game gets better with more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Stingel
Australia
Cairns
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it with 2, 3 and 4 players. I thinks it is best with three but plays just fine with 2 or 4.

with two players we play with only three treasures to look for which doesn't seem to affect the balance of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't enjoy it with two. I prefer a full four players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
3 and 4 players you use different strategies than 2 player but I've found both to be equally fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mckane
Australia
SYDNEY
N.S.W
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
My experience is that the game can be played with 2, But the results of the curse is generally abit Meh, Because no doubt you will have Amulets.
And curses will usually affect both of you. With more players amulets are a bit more rare, And there is more of a chance the Curse will result in 3 of 4 players being affected etc. But hey I still play it with 2, It's not bad just not as good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Like the penguin game, Tobago is best with 2, decent with 3, and not recommended with 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drunkenKOALA wrote:
Like the penguin game, Tobago is best with 2, decent with 3, and not recommended with 4.

Some people may think two-player is okay, but I don't. No biggie. Your bold statement strikes me as a bit baseless though. I would very much like to hear the reasoning behind your claim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauren Stein
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
drunkenKOALA wrote:

Some people may think two-player is okay, but I don't. No biggie. Your bold statement strikes me as a bit baseless though. I would very much like to hear the reasoning behind your claim.

I am curious as well. I have played Tobago with two, three, and four players and it has played well with all numbers. The strategies are a bit different, but I certainly wouldn't say the game is bad with four (or two). It definitely helps if all players know what they're doing and keep things moving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Trump wrote:
drunkenKOALA wrote:

Would it make you feel better if I added "I think" in front of every sentence I wrote?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drunkenKOALA wrote:
Trump wrote:
drunkenKOALA wrote:

Would it make you feel better if I added "I think" in front of every sentence I wrote?

No. I'm still wondering why you wouldn't recommend this game be played with 4, mainly because I've never heard anyone say that and when I floated it past everyone at gaming today, I got nothing but crazy looks. Some games do push the upper limit to the number of players too far, but I just can't imagine how someone could conclude that Tobago is such a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
when I floated it past everyone at gaming today, I got nothing but crazy looks.
Proving what exactly?

You ask me to explain my reasoning.

It seems like you've made up your mind already.

Please don't waste my time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drunkenKOALA wrote:
Quote:
when I floated it past everyone at gaming today, I got nothing but crazy looks.
Proving what exactly?

You ask me to explain my reasoning.

It seems like you've made up your mind already.

Not a problem. As with nearly any "debate" online, the parties directly involved aren't likely to change their minds. Only the third party readers of it might be influenced. I think we have enough now for them to form a conclusion on four players, but only actual play will let them know for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Speaking of which, have you played Tobago with two players?

I will explain my reasoning, when you explain yours. I don't engage in debates with parties whose sole argument consists of veiled condescensions and a conceited attitude.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Jennings
Austria
St Wolfgang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
freelunch wrote:
I've played it with 2, 3 and 4 players. I thinks it is best with three but plays just fine with 2 or 4.

with two players we play with only three treasures to look for which doesn't seem to affect the balance of the game.

We play 2 player as well....why do you only play with 3 treasures? It doesn't shorten the game as you still have the same amount of treasure cards. We found 4 treasures just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Stingel
Australia
Cairns
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a post here suggested using only three treasures with two players so we tried it and it felt right. I think with only three there's more competition for them, more chance/incentive for both players to be involved in each treasure search? or something...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Pollock
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drunkenKOALA wrote:

I will explain my reasoning, when you explain yours. I don't engage in debates with parties whose sole argument consists of veiled condescensions and a conceited attitude.

I'd like to hear your reasoning since if I bought Tobago, I would be mostly playing it with 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Jambo wrote:
drunkenKOALA wrote:

I'd like to hear your reasoning since if I bought Tobago, I would be mostly playing it with 2 players.
It's been a while since I played it, but it was more of a spatial abstract than most euro games, and spatial abstracts are mostly best with two. Would you like to play Go or Hey That's My Fish with four players?

I think I had something more specific to say back then, but I've since forgotten it. It probably had something to do with the way the clues get narrowed down and the way players interact through it, with people "sitting back" in the 4er game, and the 2er game people being able to do a lot more as far as manipulation or setting up positions go. It's been a while and we didn't play many games so I don't remember what they are specifically. I just remember that the first game we played was a 2er and we were thinking about many different stuff, and then we played a 4er game and there were a lot of stuff that you couldn't or didn't need to do.

I like Tobago best with two but even if you don't, you should be safe. It is not like T&E or Puerto Rico where the game breaks down with two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.