Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All but three pirates are on the boat, and all three remaining pirates occupy the same space. You are out of cards.

You can't move any of your pirates backwards, because there is nowhere to move them back to. You don't have any cards, so you can't go anywhere. Do you just have to pass?

This happened when my wife and I were playing; she had two pirates on the space, I had one, and I had two cards (from moving back onto that space). It was her turn. Since anything she did wouldn't have resulted in her winning that turn, and because I had the card I needed to win on my next turn, we just decided that she would pass and I won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Is there any legal move in this situation?
mugs wrote:
Do you just have to pass?

Yes.

No offense to your wife, but it's pretty foolish to end up in a situation like that. Instead of using your last card up, she should just move to gain new cards.

The only possible way she could have ended up like that would have been to use her last card to move to the boat. Instead of doing that, she should have moved one of her 3 tokens which were all on the same spot. Then on her next turn she could move back and get 2 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mugs wrote:
You can't move any of your pirates backwards, because there is nowhere to move them back to.

I'd say they should add a rule where can always draw a card via the extreme penalty of taking a pirate off the boat and kicking him all the way back to the start.

Should fill in the rules hole, and I doubt it would get abused much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
mugs wrote:
Do you just have to pass?

No offense to your wife, but it's pretty foolish to end up in a situation like that. Instead of using your last card up, she should just move to gain new cards.

She realized that pretty quickly. It was her first game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Christian
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't think you could pass. I thought you HAD to make a move.

(You can't go backward and fly off the board?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
davechri wrote:
I didn't think you could pass. I thought you HAD to make a move.

(You can't go backward and fly off the board?)

I agree. The rules say you MUST move during your turn. The rules do not mention what happens if someone cannot make a move. The rules never mention "passing" as an option. However, I don't see anything in the rules that specifically prohibits a player from moving backwards off the boat. So, moving backwards off the boat could open up another possible move in some circumstances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This thread says there was some type of official ruling saying you can move backwards from the boat
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/152970/moving-backwards

I'm not sure if it means you can move backwards from the boat at anytime or if moving backwards from the boat is only permitted when you have someone stuck on the board with no cards in hand... can anyone clarify how this rule is used?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.