Monmouth» Forums » Rules

Subject: Newbie Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Hoffman

Huntsville
Alabama
msg tools
I'm playing my first game of Monmouth and have a newbie question. When rifle firing, am I shooting at the hex or a particular unit in the hex? I just can't find in the rules where it says a rifle attack must be limited to a single unit in the hex. If left up to the attacker, why wouldn't he attack every unit in the hex as opposed to just one? Thanks for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You target a specific unit. There are modifiers depending what type of unit (and terrain). Its also possible to combine multiple rifle units (add their SP) against one target, which tends to improve the chance to hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Hoffman

Huntsville
Alabama
msg tools
I understand there are modifiers for terrain and other things and that multiple units can fire together, but I can't find anywhere in the rules where it says they are limited to attacking a specific unit within a hex. If that's the case, that's different than other games where a hex is targeted as opposed to specific units within a hex. Not that it's better or worse, it's just if that's the case I'd expect to see it in the rules somewhere. Barring any additional input I'll play it as you said. It seems to make the most sense. Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alpha Mastrano
Australia
Heidelberg
Victoria, Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"10.2 Selecting a Target
The phasing player must select his target unit(s) before the non-phasing player selects his. If a unit chooses to fire, it must select an adjacent target combat unit."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Hoffman

Huntsville
Alabama
msg tools
That's where my confusion was. Rule 10.2 is worded poorly. Instead of "The phasing player must select his target unit(s)..." it should say "The phasing player selects a target unit for each of his firing units...". The way it's worded now it sounds like a unit can shoot at multiple enemy units in a hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, multiple rifle (and artillery) can combine to attack one target, but not the other way around. I'm not sure why plural was implied in the quoted text, unless it was to convey that all targets are selected before any rolls are made. In fact, rifle fire is considered to occur simultaneously for BOTH sides (so two rifle units could fire at each other and both get kills, for example).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.