Subject: Evolution Earth: Cataclysm gameplay video rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomi Rantala
Finland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
This is a 2-player game play with normal level (40 Victory Points)

We played one game and videoed it. Hope you like it!

I will add annotations later. Hopefully this clarifies the rules in case you are having some trouble with them.

it is in 5 parts and it took appr. 43 minutes to play.

edit: I added this Set Up video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkzhtTcoMfs

edit: these videos are removed by me. I will upload soon a new gameplay video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dumRP5XNsJQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_lUqlfjpEc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcflrIHQYB8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgeJhhRckyE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQUpsxBagVg

comments are welcome as always

Tomi

edit: here is a playlist for these videos
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=291466968BF40B01

The new videos are here. Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/user/EvolutionEarthGames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice Tomi! You earned those 5 GG

1. One observation - would it not be a bit easier for the discard piles to be face-up and thus you would not need the Shuffle card? Agreed, there would be less space (you would also have a Discard pile per player), but it would perhaps be a bit quicker not to handle the Shuffle card...

Is there any reason for the Shuffle card to be there, or is it mainly to keep the table less cluttered?

Answered in your FAQ

EDIT:
2. Second observation - I would say each Cataclysm (and its result) can be more or less determined beforehand (looking at the opponent's number of Population cards) and the only variable there is how many Population cards the opponent wants to lose - either defend his Species or rather lose it and keep his funds...? Correct assumption?

EDIT2:
3. Third observation - did you ever during your games happen to run out of your deck cards? Seems that the lower player runs tight while the upper player runs quite high on cards... Was it never a problem that with a small deck you cannot effectively buy anything? (It is true on the other hand, that even if you have a smaller deck, you can "buy up" by acquiring more advanced creatures, thus getting more Population cards - and you also talk about this in your FAQ).

But did it ever happen that a player would not have any Population cards, thus he would be stuck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomi Rantala
Finland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Joeyeti wrote:
Very nice Tomi! You earned those 5 GG

1. One observation - would it not be a bit easier for the discard piles to be face-up and thus you would not need the Shuffle card? Agreed, there would be less space (you would also have a Discard pile per player), but it would perhaps be a bit quicker not to handle the Shuffle card...

Is there any reason for the Shuffle card to be there, or is it mainly to keep the table less cluttered?

Yes. Specially in a 4-player game it takes space. That´s why. But that is not the only reason. If you reveal to your opponents the state of your deck (very thin and not having necessary cards at all) - the shuffle card is a more gentleman way of handling this I think. Certainly you could play without the shuffle card, but it has a different feeling to it and it takes more space. I hope you try all the ways - I only can tell what I feel.

EDIT:
2. Second observation - I would say each Cataclysm (and its result) can be more or less determined beforehand (looking at the opponent's number of Population cards) and the only variable there is how many Population cards the opponent wants to lose - either defend his Species or rather lose it and keep his funds...? Correct assumption?

Yes. You are right and it totally depends on the fact that how good is your deck at that moment. If you have a good deck with great species to table then it´s not a problem. These things really depends on the situation. In the endgame I really can´t lose any tabled species if I am very close to a winning yet in the middle game situation it is a different situation.

I´d say that it depends on your deck. I would advice that you should have good species there to table them and "steal" the pot away (population).

Sometimes though it is better to lose "the money" than the species. It takes a lot of gaming to observe this. I must say that I usually win the 40 point game, but I guess I was a bit excited about the filming and didn´t know how to play good - yet the film is only to show how to play.

I played badly. I admit. Normally i win her at 40 points game and she wins me at 50 points game.

Thanks Joe for your questions. I hope I can show you a film where I really show you some strategic elements - If you look how my gf played, then maybe you see it already.

It´s all about balance and you must know that you will have some loses. I should have for example at least 2 reptiles in the world but I did not had them because I emphasized a wrong kind of issues at the early game.

I haven´t examined thoroughly my mistakes in my play, but I think that these kind of issues might have something to do with it. If I don´t really concentrate on my playing I almost certainly will lose...

She is a great player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomi Rantala
Finland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
"EDIT2:
3. Third observation - did you ever during your games happen to run out of your deck cards? Seems that the lower player runs tight while the upper player runs quite high on cards... Was it never a problem that with a small deck you cannot effectively buy anything? (It is true on the other hand, that even if you have a smaller deck, you can "buy up" by acquiring more advanced creatures, thus getting more Population cards - and you also talk about this in your FAQ).

But did it ever happen that a player would not have any Population cards, thus he would be stuck? "

Answer:

Yes I have run out of my cards so that I only have population on the table and actually it´s very effective situation since everything you have is either a population or cataclysm cards or whatever you need.

In a nutshell: it really isn´t necesseraly a best thing to have a very fat deck which is a slow but to have a good thin deck with some species to table at the right moment etc.

However if you have a very thin deck and lose your population and don´t have species in your deck - I guess then you are in trouble.

I think it like this: I don´t care if I lose my species from my world if I can table species from my hand and acquire population back from the card supply but if I lose continents that is a different story.

How could I teach this. I played so badly in the video so now I have lost all my credibility in the strategy section

But wait. There is more videos to come and I hope you explore this too.

But in short:

When building your deck balance your things. I know it can be done, but I sucked totally in the gameplay 1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx Tomi!

Yes, it makes sense as I am digesting the game slowly. A fat deck might get you even to a situation where you cannot do anything! It would have to be a really bad draw, but it might happen.

I am really excited about playing this soon, I will have to print out a 2-player sample (as my PDFs allow that ) and try it out with one of my family members (though not my wife, she does not play unfortunately cry

Too bad the international shipping to Slovakia just kills the 25$ deal on the whole deck... I will explore the Artscow possibilities (and hopefully also a coupon would come that will allow yet for a smaller price).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomi Rantala
Finland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Yes I know the shipping issue. TGC is a great company yet it only now is USA but hopefully they expand their success to europe someday. I orderered EE:C from USA in december and it took 3 weeks to arrive (that´s okay) yet the customs in finland and postal service costs took up to 130 euros as I orderer 8 games.

I am still very satisfied with TGC and those postal system yet I must admit that it is expensive to order games into this continent

I hope you enjoy the print´n play you have done (translation) and I am happy to see you interested in this little project of mine.

Ask me more and I will be happy to answer those issues if I can

I must ask you someday about the slovakian translation - do you have to add all those little marks like in Finland äö. or do your wordprocessors add them automatically.

Your friend
Tomi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have special letters here, but if I use the Slovak keyboard layout, I can add everything (luckily) with a single push, or with a pre-letter (like for Ď or Ž first you press SHIFT+ˇ and then add the letter D or Z).

But indeed as you, I need it manually, it does not go automatically (or I would have to use something different than Word )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomi Rantala
Finland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I added the annotations to the first video (part 1 of 5)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomi Rantala
Finland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
There is a small mistake by me and I will delete the video and upload another. In the meanwhile let´s have some fun and see if you can find my mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tomi71 wrote:
There is a small mistake by me and I will delete the video and upload another. In the meanwhile let´s have some fun and see if you can find my mistake.

At least tell me which video

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomi Rantala
Finland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
part 1 of 5

If you find it I will grant you 5 GG

(sorry about this, it really was my bad - camerashyness or some cameraexcitement I guess)

arrrh

edit: a little hint: It´s about tabling a species...

shake

edit3: it happens around 3:10-4:00

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomi Rantala
Finland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Will delete the parts now and upload soon a better version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaaargh, did not have time to watch it whistle

Never mind, tell us

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomi Rantala
Finland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Joeyeti wrote:

Never mind, tell us

Heh, I just forgot to pick 6 population cards when I tabled insects card at 3:16. So, nothing special there. I guess when you are filming you could easily lose focus on what you are doing since you easily think wrong things.

I hope I can upload this week new videos and hopefully I can concentrate on the game better

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tomi71 wrote:
Joeyeti wrote:

Never mind, tell us

Heh, I just forgot to pick 6 population cards when I tabled insects card at 3:16. So, nothing special there. I guess when you are filming you could easily lose focus on what you are doing since you easily think wrong things.

I hope I can upload this week new videos and hopefully I can concentrate on the game better

Ha, probably would have spotted it

I think the current videos have a weird aspect ratio... is there a way to set it up when uploading to Youtube?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomi Rantala
Finland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Joeyeti wrote:
tomi71 wrote:
Joeyeti wrote:

Never mind, tell us

Ha, probably would have spotted it

I think the current videos have a weird aspect ratio... is there a way to set it up when uploading to Youtube?

I did not see that kind of a possibility. I guess it has to be done when filming or when converting it. That is a "small" issue too which also I must investigate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Then perhaps during conversion.
Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomi Rantala
Finland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
We filmed 4 games today. I will upload one or more of them into youtube at the near future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.