Telestrations» Forums » Sessions

Subject: This is one of my favorite games! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bee :)
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...and believe me, I own quite a few at this point.

After stumbling upon the online advertisements and reviews for this game, I knew it would be great fun for even the most uninterested gamers. So far, I have played this with two very different groups, each time only totaling four people, myself included.

When I first played Telestrations a few weeks ago, there were definitely tons of laughs. A lot of times, laughter would be the result of receiving poorly drawn or very abstract sketches. However, receiving a very bizarre or "inappropriate" word also brought out some chuckles.
My very favorite "morph" from the original word to the final guess was: 1) fashion designer (sketched), 2) slut (guessed), 3) prostitute (sketched, with male/female nudity and cash exchange), to finally 4) stripper (guessed). The player who had to make the final guess had the most priceless reaction of utter shock when looking at the previous sketch. The conclusion made was: One might argue that these 4 notions (fashion designer, slut, prostitute, and stripper) can really all be related. laugh

I played again last night with a second group, and they also thoroughly enjoyed it. I think my favorite "morph" was: 1) baked beans (sketched), 2) buns in the oven (guessed), 3) a "W" (that was supposed to be "buns") next to a double wall oven and a rectangle with 6 circles in it (sketched), to finally 4) baking cookies (guessed). This second group seemed to be a bit more perceptive, and at the end of the night, having played two other games, said "We definitely have to play Telestrations again! It was soooo much fun!"

And I second that notion. I only wish that I had my digital camera handy to snap pics during some of the more interesting rounds! I am truly looking forward to busting this game out at another game night in the not too distant future. I am eager to see how much more fun it can be with a gaming group larger than 4. I imagine it would be infinitely more hilarious with 8, or even 6. The only problem is, of late, it hasn't been so easy to successfully recruit that number of people at the same time, which left me with two different groups of 4 to try this game.

However, I realize that this game really requires an even number of people for it to effectively alternate between sketches and guesses so that it goes back to each starting sketcher with a written guess and not another sketch. The game rules say that when playing with an odd number of players, the initial move each player makes is just copying the word off of their card into the book. To me, that takes a lot of fun out of it because it requires no creativity or thinking, and is just done to compensate for the issue that the game is best played with an even number of participants.

Overall, I would say that even through my experiences playing with the minimum possible number of players, Telestrations is a great hit, and a fantastic, silly alternative to the much more serious Pictionary. I happen to be a pretty decent artist, so I appreciate any game that requires sketching. What makes Telestrations so enjoyable for me is that it is really intended just to make the people playing laugh, and unlike in Pictionary, it would be nearly impossible to feel frustration from playing this. You certainly don't have to be a terrific artist to enjoy it, which gives this game much more appeal to the general public. I agree with many in saying, "The more awful artists make this game even more fun!" After all, it is their terrible drawings that lead to guesses that are often far away from the original, intended item.

I hope that my session reports/review have sparked interest in some BGG users. This is certainly a game worth adding to your collection!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CORRECTION: This IS my favorite game!
I have just recently played this game with a group of 7 people. It proved my logical theory that with more than four players, the words get increasingly distorted, thus causing even more laughter to ensue.

In the image gallery for this game, you can see what I thought were some of the funniest rounds that I played with my friends the other day. It was really funny how we always knew which player drastically changed the word either by drawing something horrendously or making what seemed to be a completely unrelated guess.

Nobody can be left feeling like a loser with this game; it's just a great game to play for the entertainment value. Don't even bother with the scoring system. Everyone who has participated in a session with me has said, "I really want to play this game again next time!" You can't get any better feedback than that! USAopoly has a big hit with 'Telestrations'.

Rating: 10 out of 10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chantal Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
Thank you for the great review! You've certainly sold me on the game. Being the only artist among my group of gamer friends, people tend to dislike playing 'drawing' games with me, and these happen to be my favourite. So I'm so glad you pointed out you're a good artist yourself and still had people having a blast! Awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad you're interested in trying this game after reading my review. I'd love to hear how it goes when you try it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.