Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played in and won my first tournament! Sadly I'm not much of a poet, and so I tend to avoid boring others with session reports or reviews of my own. Scribidinus I'm not. However, I feel like sharing my experience regarding this tournament.

I recently picked up some wave 1 units from the coolstuffinc.com sale (6.99 for each common pack and 4.99 for the hero pack is a price I can get behind!), so I wanted to try using some common squads. I used the grut orcs with orc champions as a base, and then supplemented it with three very highly regarded squads to cover for ranged and backup. I probably would have given up the Tarn Viking Warriors for another squad of orcs, but two squads seemed to work out well for how quickly my champions were killed off.

My army was as follows:

Grut Orcs (x2) 80pts
Grimnak 120pts
Tornak 100 pts
Krav Maga Agents 100pts
Marro Warriors 50pts
Tarn Viking Warriors 50pts

There were only five of us playing, so sadly some people had to miss a match and take a bye (but hey, who can complain about a free win?).

Round 1

My first match was against the following army:
Tandros Kreel
Ana Karithon
Raelin
Syvarris
Krav Maga Agents

Since my gruts follow Utgar, his army had a huge defensive boost to overcome between Raelin and Ana, and Tandros' Combat Challenge made it difficult to take down the two batteries, not to mention his Cleave which is great against my squads.

We were playing on a very small map that is printed with the new D&D master set. One side was elevated, and my opponent got to start there. I'm a bit disappointed that this map was used since it seems particularly unbalanced for a tournament. The elevated side doesn't even have a well-defined starting zone.

I first sent out Grimnak and the gruts down the middle, and advanced the Krav along the near side for ranged support. Sadly, Grimnak got killed fast and didn't contribute anything at all, although Tornak's high speed allowed him to fill in the hole to support the gruts. My opponent was putting a lot of focus on Syvarris, but for the first half of the game, I seemed to roll exactly as many shields as he did skulls. I was able to maneuver gruts around the sides of the map to get to some more important units. It was around here that Syvarris started rolling really well, taking out gruts left and right. I took out a Krav and put some wounds on Ana early, and after a few more rounds I was able to get Ornak and some more gruts to the more important units. I was left with Tornak on the high spot on the map tying up Tandros (with some really good defense rolls) while the Krav cleaned up most the map with the Tarn for a win, with the Marros siting back in the start zone.

Round 2

My next opponent had an (almost) all-marro army:

Marro Dividers (x3)
Marro Stingers (x2)
Marro Warriors
Marro Hive
Marcu Esenwein (hey, what else are you gonna do with 20 points??)

We played on a swamp map, again with elevation favoured to one starting zone, and again with me stuck in the flat side. He had 21 figures comprising 26 spaces to my 23 figure army, so this match was the clash of the swarms.

I started this game by advancing the Tarn, Krav, and Marro to see what he was going to start with. He basically just loaded order markers on the Hive the entire game, so I didn't glean much, but it was a better start than sending out one unit with three markers on it. His range five Stingers to my range six marro worked out well for me since I stayed just outside his of his height advantage. I made a mistake with my Krav and put them just within range of his Dividers and they were eliminated way too quickly. With my best ranged unit gone, I had little chance of taking out the hive. I also advanced Tornak on the second turn (rather than Grimnak who ate it early last game), but sadly he was taken out before I got another turn with him. I sent the Tarn in to attack the Dividers who had eaten up the Krav, but that skirmish ended with three dead vikings. My last three Marro Warriors also got chewed up at the same time, keeping me from trying to revive them in the swamp water. It was really quite sad...between my 300 points of dead units, I hadn't taken out more than about a hundred points of units and put a wound or two on the Hive.

Luckily, Grimnak came to avenge his fallen allies! Left with only one courageous Tarn viking, a whole bunch of orcs, and a very hungry dinosaur, I left the Tarn to his own devices and loaded up markers on the orcs for the rest of the game. The Stingers finally missed a drain roll, saving me one turn of ranged fire, and I was able to walk Grimnak into the fray over two turns, with orcs in tow. I tied up his remaining stingers with orcs, and Grimnak had a few snacks. On his fourth activation, I sucked up a leaving engagement attack from Marcu to get next to the Hive, and it paid off. On the next turn, I was able to kill the hive while my opponent still had two unrevealed order markers on it, which gave me two turns to take out his units. Once he got another turn, it was too late, and I had enough of an advantage to snap up a win after what seemed like a hopeless situation.

I was surprised how inconsistent my army had been; in the first match, my orcs sucked hard while the Krav and Tarn performed very well, whereas they had died way too quickly in the second match.

Round 3

On to the final round! I had spotted this army and was hoping I didn't have to face it:

Charos
Kaemon Awa
Izumi Samurai
Raelin
Marro Nagrubs (Hey, what else are you going to do with 30 points??)

Yikes! Almost all of his army has high defense with counterstrike, and Raelin is making it that much more deadly. That's bad to begin with, but it's infinitely worse with my squad-based army. My strategy is to throw lots of small attacks at him rather than fewer, larger attacks. This match was on the first map again, and I was on the "bad" side, again.

I used the same configuration as the first game, sending orcs down the middle and sending the Krav down the side. The first attack from the Krav took out one of the samurai, and I was quite happy with that. He set up a blockade with the other two, aided by the dungeon terrain. Naturally, every time he activated Kaemon Awa, one or two of my orcs would get taken out.

In the past, I looked at the "Disengage" ability and never considered it to be useful. Those days are over. Thanks to Tornak's and the gruts' disengage, I was able to walk right past all the samurai and get to where I needed to be: Raelin. Between the Krav (who had their own blockade in the form of cheap, cheap orcs) and one or two gruts that slipped in the back way, I was able to take care of the massive defense boost. The samurai were taken care of thanks to Grimnak's Chomp, and the Nagrubs were long gone by virtue of the fact that they didn't kill me when I attacked them. That just left the other 330 points. Well...time to get started! The Krav focused on Charos, chipping away, while Grimnak and company tried chipping away at Kaemon. Luckily, it didn't take long since I Chomped him on the first roll! Yup, a 17 on my first roll saved me a LOT of grief, and well made up for Grimnak's poor performance in the first match. All that was left was Charos. I made a point of it to spread out my Krav so that they wouldn't get engaged, and I used what few gruts I had left to tie up charos. He flew off, and took a wound from doing so. It paid off for him since he killed off one of my krav which had height advantage, but I had anticipated that their time was up and started mobilizing the Marro Warriors. I also kept them spread out, and kept picking away at Charos' health for the third win, giving me a perfect record.

I didn't see what the fifth player's army was, but I knew it had Charos and Kelda in it. In one battle, she wound up taking eight wounds off of Charos thanks to Kelda's healing touch.

Lessons learned:
-Even if it looks like you're doomed, the tables can turn quickly.
-Even though Tornak has the movement to fill in the hole once Grimnak dies, it's often better to move him with the gruts first, moving Grimnak in once Tornak is in a good position to give surrounding gruts their boost. Grimnak's defense is too low to let your opponent use their best units against him.
-Disengage is fantastic. Not only can it let you get your orcs where you need them to be, but you can use your orcs to tie down important units without being tied down yourself.
-Count out your opponent's movement and/or range before moving your units. One space can be the difference between getting hit with a big attack and getting hit with no attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ruhland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done. Those were some really bad maps for a tournament environment and it sounds like you got the short end of the stick. Good for you for keeping your chin up and pulling out some great wins. Sounds like you had a lot of fun!
I wish there were some local tournaments here in Ottawa but the only chance of that seems to be if I run one, which I intend to , but that means I don't get to play which is what I really want.
Keep Scapin, and get yourself some more orcs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I feel honoured to have received Coffin Dodger's "Pyuredeadbrilliant" commendation! I can't wait til I find my first gray hair so I can join the League of Extraordinary Heroscapers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - African River
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tatoolo wrote:
Wow, I feel honoured to have received Coffin Dodger's "Pyuredeadbrilliant" commendation! I can't wait til I find my first gray hair so I can join the League of Extraordinary Heroscapers.

There are a number of squires in the League, and they would welcome you with open arms. Many hands makes lighter work, and when that work is virtual anyway, you wouldn't find it burdensome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.