Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefan Rastapopoulos
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this game playable in English if you have only the English translation of the rules posted here on GeekDo? Or are there cards and/or other text-based components that would make knowing German essential?

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy of the game is bilingual- all text is in English and German, and the rulebook includes rules in both languages as well.

In any event, the game is functionally language independent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Holthuis
Netherlands
Buitenpost
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is perfectly playable in English. Rules and cards are both in English/German. Gameboard information - besides the city names - is printed in English/German too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schwarz
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tamburlain wrote:
Is this game playable in English if you have only the English translation of the rules posted here on GeekDo? Or are there cards and/or other text-based components that would make knowing German essential?

In addition to what others have said, the English translation was made by the designer, not a third-party, and was included in the box as shipped (at least to the US).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Rastapopoulos
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is excellent news. Thanks all for responding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Todd
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only is the game playable in English, it's awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard sivel
Germany
berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Yes, Maria is (like all Histogame games) completely bilingual (german, english).

The English rules were written by me (the designer) but were then proofread and polished for correct grammar and style by Bowen Simmons from Simmons Games.

richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C-S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And a brilliant job too! Having recently finished my German GCSE, I can understand how difficult it would be to get rules translated, so that it makes sense in another language. Too many games have poorly translated rules ('role the cuboid' as opposed to role the die)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.