BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Searching for game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dovydas Tutinas
Lithuania
flag msg tools
mb
Hello to everyone, i am searching for board game, there is so many and hard to chose, i want to find game like Total War series games on pc (medieval total war, rome total war), the game should have diplomacy side and war side, i have Warrior Knights board game, but i dont like the combat, its too simple, maybe there is game where combat is more dificult, like: you have many tipes of soldiers: archers, infantry, cavalery, they have their abilities, u can upgrade them and so on. I want to find the game where u take control on one faction, you have something like generals, army, do diplomacy things, is there any game like this? I looked about Conquest for the empire, its not too bad, but i dont like dice combat... Thank you for your opinions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dowydas wrote:
but i dont like dice combat...

That's going to eliminate a lot of wargames. The majority of wargames use a die or dice to resolve combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Simpson
England
Brighton
West Sussex
flag msg tools
UKf2fDip.org - supporting Face to Face Diplomacy in the UK
badge
Yes, it's very dark isn't it? Almost... black. Yes, I shall need to get the black out. Black.... BLACK!!! Like The darkness of space that leads into the chasm of clams.... My eyes!! My eyes are pies..and yours are lies...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't want to use dice as a combat resolution, what do you want to use instead?

Cards?
Weight of numbers?

The problem you will find is that if the game has a lot of diplomacy, them the combat system is very simple (e.g. Diplomacy, Antike, Imperial) so you won't find the range of units and upgrades you are looking for.

Then if you have games that have the amount of unit types that you want, then they are going to have dice and they will be focussed on a particular battle without having the diplomacy aspect you want (e.g. SPQR or other stuff from the Great Battles of History series, commands and colors etc.) Also, most of these games are 2 player, so no need for diplomacy.

Of course, a bit like shogun total war, is the game shogun, multiplayer, no dice, room for diplomacy, but no distinct unit types or development.

This is a tough question!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dovydas Tutinas
Lithuania
flag msg tools
mb
It could be game with dices, but bether with cards, or for example, diferent type of soldiers have their strength and defence points, i want that in game would be some type of soldiers, not like in warrior knights, only one type of troops... I want to find a game where would be 60-70% of batlle combat ant 30% of diplomacy, that u can take new lands, build cities, upgrade them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
While I mosty play miniatures games, not boardgames, dice are a common element in both. In warfare, there are simply far too many variables to account for in any battle. Dice give a way of allowing probabilities of events to occur at their logical frequencies.

Putting it you another way, when I'm in a paintball battle, sometimes I'm hit by a paintball from somebody who didn't even see me but fired in the general direction. That was luck. I would reconsider using dice in your wargame search.

As for the details you want in your games, you might consider playing miniatures. They are far more flexible than any boardgame out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dovydas Tutinas
Lithuania
flag msg tools
mb
Dice's could be, but i dont want that combat would be like this: i rolled 5 u rolled 2, i won... I want medieval or rome time's board game with diplomacy, economic and battle's, one game's have diplomacy, others battle and others economic, but i want to find one game with more or less of these things, the port of total war series from pc would be perfect, but its too hard and no one make's that. If you can write the names of games which are simular to that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dovydas Tutinas
Lithuania
flag msg tools
mb
I will create myself a game , but its too hard to make all the material, maybe there is a company who thakes invidual orders of plastic parts for board games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
For a diplomacy side, Struggle of Empires, but it has dice for combat.

Runewars doesn't have dice, but it doesn't have the diplomacy element.

A Game of Thrones (first edition), has diplomacy and no dice battling. This one may be a good one to try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dovydas Tutinas
Lithuania
flag msg tools
mb
I dont like Struggle of Empires becouse the game is in 18th centuary, i want game which is 5th B.C. - 6th centuary or medieval times game, Runewars is fantasy game i want realistic game, A game of Thrones was a lot of time in my mind, its good, not bad, but.. Conquest for the empire + warrior knights + city building = the game that i want. Maybe Thrones, but i want to search more..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - African River
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To get that sort of depth, you may need to try traditional wargames, such as Imperium Romanum II or Sword of Rome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dowydas wrote:
I will create myself a game , but its too hard to make all the material, maybe there is a company who thakes invidual orders of plastic parts for board games?

There are several companies that make plastic playing aids and pieces for use for self designed games, some of which advertise on BGG. Another alternative is to use plastic HO figures, such as Zveda, HAT, etc. to use as combat units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Doria
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Kingmaker is heavily diplomatic and uses (at least with the basic rules) a card-driven combat system: the game's basic rules do not use dice in any capacity.

Of course, there are two caveats: one, it's oop, although relatively easily found on ebay. Two, there aren't really unit "upgrades." You control a group of nobles and increase your military strength through acquiring more units (mercenaries or titles and offices with accompanying troops), but you can't make your Saxon Crossbowmen better Saxon Crossbowmen than they were when you got them. But it's a fantastic game: the elements are fairly simple but the gameplay is great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone mentioned A Game of Thrones. That does sound like it might be close to your specifications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dowydas wrote:
Dice's could be, but i dont want that combat would be like this: i rolled 5 u rolled 2, i won... I want medieval or rome time's board game with diplomacy, economic and battle's, one game's have diplomacy, others battle and others economic, but i want to find one game with more or less of these things, the port of total war series from pc would be perfect, but its too hard and no one make's that. If you can write the names of games which are simular to that :)

The Shogun Total War computer game was a direct rip of the board game Ikusa which I happen to have. The game was called Shogun (
my copy is) but that clashed with another game so they renamed it. You may want to look at that. I remember the computer game used exactly the same board even and the same game elements.

I understand what you mean by dice but most games just use dice to give variability and manageable risk which is important in most wargames. Luckless games do not really reflect reality well. Of course the chance produced by dice would be weighted to reflect the units you have or whatever other bonuses or disadvantages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dovydas Tutinas
Lithuania
flag msg tools
mb
Sword of Rome looks good, i will check all games. The upgrade of army isnt the most important thing, i want that in game would be diferent type of troops, and they have diferent abilities, that u can build your city, for example i build roads or market in city and then increase income, and that combat wouldn't be like this, i roll 5 with dice you roll 2 and i win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dovydas Tutinas
Lithuania
flag msg tools
mb
I waking up this thread becouse maybe there was released a game that i looking for... Any opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.