Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Death in the Trenches: The Great War, 1914-1918» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ost Army; Taxis; Order of Play; Ireland rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question 1: Hex 2311 (Belgrade not "Ujvidek") is given as a set-up hex for both two Serbian armies and for the Austro-Hungarian "Ost" army. Is this is a typo? Should Ost army be set-up in hex 2511, which is Budapest? "Ost" here may represent the A-H 2nd Army, which historically was initially deployed against Serbia then shifted to face Russia, passing through Budapest on the way,

Question 2, Paris Taxis: are the French divisions placed in/adjacent to Paris by this special event taken from France's Reserves, or are they newly created? The rule implies the latter, as it says "do not adjust French Army Max." Wouldn't it be more logical to take them from the Reserves? That's what was happening historically.

Question 3: during combat, does the attacker determine how many special event coins he will be using first, followed by the defender, or do they do it simultaneously?

Question 4: 1914, Chit 1, "Home Rule." What's the point of giving the Entente an option on Irish Home Rule, when nothing bad happens if Home Rule is granted? Historically it was not granted in 1914 because the opposition of the Protestant north to HR would have created turmoil in Ireland, were Home Rule granted. Granting it might have meant that the King got volunteers from neither section of Ireland. The game event guarantees a non-historical result.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Ost Army; Taxis; Order of Play
Ost Army starts in 2511.

Paris Taxis These are newly created units. Add them to a French Army.

I have always played that the attacker spends coins first. Note that there is no limit on how many coins you can use. For example the Germans can (and usually do) use several Krupp coins in an attack.

Home Rule Whether you choose Home Rule or not will be a factor on later events.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Home Rule
1916 Chit 3, "IRISH RISING: if the EP rejected Irish Home Rule in 1914, the "Irish Rising" occurs. Roll a die; the EP reduces British Army Max by that amount."

1916 Chit 3. "DAIL EIREANN." If the EP chose Irish Home Rule in 1914, elections are held for the Irish Parliament, Dail Eireann. Roll a die. On a 1-4, Irish voters elect a pro-war majority; nothing happens. On a 5-6, On a 5-6, Irish voters elect to pull out of the war. Reduce British Army Max by 13,

So,there's a 1/3 chance of losing 13 from Army Max. On the other hand, one gains +5 to Army Max from granting Home Rule in 1914. So at stake by granting HR is a 33% chance of losing a net of 8, and a 67% chance of gaining 5 for Brit Army Max. (5 x 2/3) - 8/3 = +2/3. So there's a small net gain to granting Home Rule in 1914, which is magnified by the fact that the gain is front loaded, and the penalty arrives only later. That's not how Whitehall saw it at the time. IMHO, it might be more accurate and dramatic to have just two events, not three:

1914 Chit 1: IRISH HOME RULE. The EP must decide on Irish Home Rule. If he accepts it, roll a die and reduce British Army Max by that amount, due to turmoil in Ireland and reduced Ulster volunteering. No consequence (yet) to rejecting IHR.

1916 Chit 3, "IRISH RISING:" if EP rejected Irish Home Rule in 1914, reduce British Army Max by the sum of 2 dice.

That way, by rejecting Irish Home Rule in 1914, the EP get to keep British divs when they're most needed (1914), at the cost of losing somewhat more British divs in 1916.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.