Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm using the tried and true method of printing out the counters, using spray adhesive to stick them to the cardboard, putting on a coat of fixative, and cutting them out with an Exacto knife. But I have a few questions:

1. What is a spray adhesive that won't yellow the paper?

2. What is the best clear coat fixative to use?

3. Can I use regular printer paper or do I need to use that glossy photo paper?

4. Is there a certain cardboard I should use? Where do I obtain it? I went to a hobby shop (Michael's) and they had NO cardboard at all!

5. What type of Exacto knife is easiest to use when cutting out small counters? (they have the pencil style ones you can use like a scapel, or the large ones you use with your whole hand)

6. Is there a better way to create counters? If so, please tell.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jed Roguski
United States
Dumfries
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer round two sided counters. What I do is print the tokens onto adhesive sheet, place it onto chipboard, then use a round craft punch to pop them out.

adhesive paper: any office store

chipboard: I found mine at Joanne Fabrics in the scrapbooking section near the die-cutting gear. It might be available at other hobby shops , but your going to have do some hunting (don't expect the employees to know what you are looking for or where to find it.)

If you can't get chipboard cardstock, which should be readily availabe at any teacher/ hobby shop, should suffice. Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shogren
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
My recommendation is...

1) Use full sheet label paper (available at most office supply stores).

2) Print and affix to Illustration Board (available at most art supply stores. Comes in several thicknesses and colors (for backs) are easy.

3) Cut tiles / counters with a guide and a rotary cutter (available at hobby shops or Michael's).

4) You can coat the finished item in a clear acrylic for a more durable finish. Just be light on the spray.

Best of luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Friedberg
United States
claypool
IN
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been really happy with buying self-adhesive vinyl floor tiles from Menard's and just printing onto normal paper. As far as I can tell, it is far and away the cheapest solution with normal paper being sub 0.01 per sheet and an 18x18 tile for 0.44 on special. They cut very easily with scissors. (This method is courtesy of
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jed Roguski
United States
Dumfries
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried the self adhesive vinyl tiles in the past, but found that the smell of the tiles never really goes away. Or that might have just been the tile I bought

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sisk
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
1. What is a spray adhesive that won't yellow the paper?

I use 3m's Super77 and have never had any yellowing occur, though it is more expensive to buy.

Quote:
2. What is the best clear coat fixative to use?

I have always used a hot laminate that I apply with a regular household iron. The best results come from matte finish 1.5mil laminate, but that you typically have to order online. I bought about $75 worth more than 7 years ago and am no where near close to using it up.

Quote:
3. Can I use regular printer paper or do I need to use that glossy photo paper?

Yes, regular printer paper is best. Though if you're gluing onto regular chipboard (boxboard) then you will want to get thicker paper (24# or so) to ensure best colors. Otherwise the color of the chipboard will darken your prints.

Quote:
4. Is there a certain cardboard I should use? Where do I obtain it? I went to a hobby shop (Michael's) and they had NO cardboard at all!

For counters and tiles you will want to use regular single ply chipboard (also called boxboard). You can get it for about $1 per sheet at most art supply stores.

Illustration board is easier to find (available in most craft stores as either illustration board or matte board), though I do not recommend using either for two reasons. First it is way more expensive than plain chipboard. Second it is thicker and will be harder to cut (granted not much harder, but every little bit counts). For cutting round counters I have a hard enough time using a craft punch on chipboard tiles. It definitely doesn't work well on illustration board.

Quote:
5. What type of Exacto knife is easiest to use when cutting out small counters? (they have the pencil style ones you can use like a scapel, or the large ones you use with your whole hand)

Pencil style ones have worked fine for me for thousands of counters. Just remember that you have to make several cuts to get through the full thickness of your job. Don't try to cut it in one pass.

Quote:
6. Is there a better way to create counters? If so, please tell.

Not for making professional quality finished counters. I know game designers that prototype by having their counter sheets laminated with 5mil laminate pouches and then cutting them out. The result is functional, but overall not as good (a little hard to pick up).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="Train Game anyone?
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
See "How to assemble a complete 1886 set in English" for how I do it:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with everyone here on the labels mounted to chipboard or illustration board, but I'll add one more answer to your question about coating.

Lately, I've been really pleased with Matte Mod Podge (matte, mind you, not gloss). You just brush it on with a foam brush and let it dry. Once it's dry, mount your artwork and cut it out. It creates a very soft and level vinyl-like surface that is impervious to scratching and liquids.

I've also had great success with gloss acrylic sprays, but they sometimes leave a lingering odor similar to moth balls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erhan Cubukcuoglu
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I have always used a hot laminate that I apply with a regular household iron. The best results come from matte finish 1.5mil laminate, but that you typically have to order online. I bought about $75 worth more than 7 years ago and am no where near close to using it up.

is it really possible to make lamination with an ordinary iron.
I don't like buy a lamination machine. is the results always good. is it possible to aply necessary pressure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shogren
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

I've debated about the approach of making a custom cutter, but have never "solved" the problem of a durable cutter that is anything less than a custom made die cutter (i.e. hardened, sharpened, etc metal piece). I've wanted to do this for custom cut cards, but then ArtCow was pointed out and the idea of making my tools to cut on imperfect material seemed.. well kinda pointless.

As for round counters though, a cutter would be nice. The hobby punches can't handle the thickness of illustration board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.