Subject: Middle East Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawrence Davis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Middle East Random event I think needs to be changed slightly.

I've played three games of RDR so far (two with the new units and rules) and have had two games END abruptly because of the 3-5,3-6 Random event (war erupts in the M-E). One would think that even having to roll a following 6 would keep the ill effects of this event at bay, but it doesn't.
Now, I wouldn't discard the event totally, as it does make sense that the longer an active war between superpowers is going on, there is a good chance that it could spill over into the volatile ME. And it does add pressure to both sides to end the game/war as quickly as possible before the game/war ends in an unintended manner.

But suffering such an abrupt ending twice out of three games so early is just too much IMO, especially early in the game before world and local tensions have arisen enough to cause such an ending.

I would propose ignoring the 3-5,3-6 event all together the first time it comes up.

This should give both sides alittle more of an oppurtunity to see their strategies (and the game) played through

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Costello
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Lawrence;

Your suggestion makes for a very good house rule. If both players agree, go ahead and use it. I have used something like that myself on occasion..

I prefer to keep it as is in the rules though. First because to change things often leads to confusion and, frankly, me having to address many more questions than I otherwise have to. I don't like dealing with confusion and will do whatever I must to avoid it. It does not make for happy players, nor happy designers!!!!!!!

SECOND, a renewed Middle East War could be volatile beyond all imagination, especially given the ever growing tension between Israel and Iran. As of now, we are near or at the point when no one can be certain Iran does not have the Bomb. I would give odds of 60% or more that in event of such a war breaking out, Israel would very quickly consider pre-emption. They would consider pre-emption with a heavy prejudice towards using it. The possibility of one Hiroshima-sized nuke landing on or near Tel Aviv is an existential one to the Israelis. I believe that, were I an Israeli leader, I would strongly favor using a massive laydown of thermonuclear weapons on any conceivable spot Iran might be hiding such weapons, and quickly - before they can disperse their stockpile.

I believe their mindset is that extreme and that should surprise no one. If OUR country consisted of essentially one main city and a few towns, and if OUR collective history were theirs, this would make complete sense I believe. Dog eat dog, kill before being killed, make sure the bas*a+ds pay... that is what it comes down to when any people are pushed to the wall...

Regards;

BC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Davis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Bruce, of course I agree with you 100% with the volatility of the middle east and a Thermonuclear exchange between all parties involved there would certainly not be beyond speculation.

My only problem lies in the fact that the current rule seems to "over simulate" the conflict in the Middle East. I've had a game end in under 8 turns because of the Middle East event, and without Iran entering the game either. That just seems a little too gamey to me.

If the event is ignored at least once, it gives the game a little more of a chance to "mature". Then any and everything seems more plausible as world tension continues to rise because of the ongoing war between the Dragon and Eagle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.