Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When your children begin to mature, it's good to introduce them to games which help them learn and express their creativity. Thus, we've gotten the customary games for our (now-)3-year-old son: Candy Land and Chutes and Ladders.

So what game is he learning now?

Ra:

Sure, right now he's just matching pieces and building the Ra track. Before you know it, he'll be playing for real. (When he starts beating me regularly, I'll bring him to the WBC.)

He didn't seem as interested in Carcassonne, for whatever reason. Maybe some other time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big proponent on getting kids involved with boardgaming at an early age too, even if it's just monkeying around with the components. Cute pic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Next step should be 'pull the tiles from the bag. When you draw a Ra tile, place it in the upper row. Other tiles go to the bottom row. When a Ra tile is placed in the upper row, shout Ra, and remove the tiles from the bottom row. If the bottom row is full, shout Ra and remove the tiles.
Repeat it until the Ra row is full. Do it again. Let's see how many tiles remain in the bag after the third round.'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Pollock
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kids can really surprise you with what they're capable of in games, especially compared to what the recommended age on the box states.

For instance, my daughter has been ably playing Gulo Gulo since she was 2.5 yo. Now, at 4.5 she's a pro. Hey That's My Fish was also a hit from an early age, and now she's able to understand everything about the game other than the more complex and devious cutthroat moves. She can even count her score at the end now! It won't be long until she gets this one though as if I point out the 'nasty' moves to her, she understands and laughs heartily as my penguins get stranded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Strömer
Sweden
Lidingo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first Ra with my two kids, aged 7 and 9. They loved it, the auction mechanic and the tense feeling at the end of each epoch.

OK, I smashed them, but how many grown-ups grasps the scoring the first time?

I am so happy my favourite game went down well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J K
Lithuania
Vilnius
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son will be 5 years pretty soon, I just teached him Ra. I never lost Ra so miserably like I lost that first game against him. I took a little bit too much risk in the beginning which went very badly for me, and he just played normally. I won second game.
He is playing Dweebies from his 4th birthday and now he's a competent player in it (plus he is already good in playing Halma but plays pretty poorly at checkers, and has difficulties in trying to not disclose his turtle in Ribbit), and I see how in just two games of Ra he started to grasp when to start auctions and value tiles (I still need to remember him what is the effect of tiles for the game).
Game box says age is 12+, and poll on BGG says it's 10+. I find it suitable for 4-5 year olds - though not everyone as I think children needs learning and concentration background for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnold Agraviador
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son (age 4) has been playing Runebound with me. I've simplified the rules a bit (faster upgrades for one to make a powerful hero. He enjoys this a lot and it gets played every week. We've also played Wings of War using his small Lego Star Wars ships and he enjoys that. I played Railroad Tycoon with him (without the Baron cards), Through the Desert, Ticket to Ride and Caracassonne. My daughter (age 6) enjoys Carcassonne and Through the Desert. TtR bored them after a while. I plan to introduce Pirate's Cove to them soon and play Star Wars Armada with my son.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.