Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone!

I'm asking for any thoughts from anyone with actual game=play experience from any/all of the custom circuits available here.
I'm wondering if any of them are worth shelling out the $50 it'll probably cost at Staples, hehe!

There are a few that look particularly well done...I'm just wondering if they play as well (or better?!) than any of the official tracks.
I have a few of the original circuits, and finding more is getting difficult and expensive...so, I could be happy expanding my circuit collection with custom stuff, if they were that good.

Some that interest me:

Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez

Riverside International Raceway

Donington Park

Any thoughts on these?
Others?

Thanks in advance for any info/reviews!

J!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grand Prix of Denver Track looks pretty sweet, too.

Damn...wish I owned a printing press
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll continue to reply to my own threads; that's awesome.

The wife and I actually just finished a quick, one-lap run through of Donington Park with 4 cars.
I know one-lap isn't great, but it's all we had time for. More traffic would have been nice, too.

That being said, the circuit played great! It allowed for a very fast start! And that speed was fairly maintained through the first 2/3s of the track. It slows down a bit for 2 of the last 3 turns are 2-stoppers, but it allowed for a very close finish. 1st-3rd place were within a few spaces of each other. The last car finished a distant 4th, but the first 3 were neck 'n' neck for much of the lap!

All in all, I must say, I am quite glad to have downloaded and printed it out on standard letter sized sheets. It's worth the inkjet cost
Even with my mediocre cutting abilities, it sat nicely under a large piece of plexi-.
I am eager to try it again with 2-3 laps and at least 6 drivers!
Looks great! Plays great!
Thanks to
Paul
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got through with another playtest of Donington.

5 cars for a two-lap race.

A lot of fun, I must say!

It was, again, tight until the end. One car sort of ran away with it in the last S-bend, but 2nd, 3rd and 4th were all up for grabs! One car was left in the dust after spinning out.

The one car who decided not to pit stop made a great showing, placing 2nd, despite limited resources for the 2nd lap; a great decision!

This circuit again offered a lot of speed, with enough decisions to warrant repeat play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, thanks for the kind words! I'm glad you're enjoying that track.

There was a little discussion many months ago when I made that track about what makes a track fun (particularly the number of stops in the corners). I studied the number of turns and stops of all of the official tracks to establish some standards to go by. I also looked at parts of tracks that I personally found to be the most fun and based Donington around that.

I think limiting 3-stop and 2-stop corners really enhances the feeling of speed on a track. Donington (as well as some of the official tracks) has no 3-stop corners at all. The 2-stop corners are placed back-to-back and their lengths are modeled after some of the shortest 2-stop corners on the official tracks. I really think that these two slow 2-stop corners really help to even out the fast outfield of the track made up of 1-stop corners.

I'm glad you're having fun with the close races at Donington. That is just what I had hoped to achieve with that design!

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never used one of these tracks before. How would one get them printed out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I simply printed out as the file was laid out; in eight 8 1/2" x 11" pieces of card stock.

I cut to specifications and "puzzled" it together.

I since bought a nice foam board that fits it well, and will spray adhesive the cards to the board, so it doesn't have to be put together each time I want to run the circuit.

Donington is worth having, for the $5 or so that it cost me in material to make.

Give him some thumbs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, my best bud owns a digital printing company in NY and was kind enough to take some time out and print up 3 circuits of my choice.

I chose, Laguna Seca, Riverside and Brand's Hatch.

I liked the look of Brand's Hatch a lot and decided that the odds of seeing that as an official circuit anytime soon was remote.

I also liked the look of Riverside and the 3 alternate routes available on it.

I am a noob to the world of F1/Indy and had no idea Laguna Seca was essentially the same as Monterey...so a bit of a FAIL there; although I don't have the USA Track #1 pack, so at least it's currently unique to my collection...

Anyways, they look amazing and printed out, size-wise OK enough. Laguna's spaces are a millimeter too small for the cars, but no biggie. Brand's spaces are a bit too large, but also, no ultimate effect. Riverside came out perfetto.

The only issue with any of the circuits' designs is that Brand's Hatch does not come with any start spaces, no pole markings...
I am going to leave that feedback for Doug on his file page.

Other than that, I am thrilled to have them!

Now...to convince Carmine to print out Fiji for me...ninjadevil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Sebring done?
Know it's not a F1 circuit, but...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sebring is available in one of Asmodee's expansion sets.

I think it's a good track; not the best, but certainly worthwhile.

Were you looking for a fan developed version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just thought of it because of the ALMS race last night and thought it could be fun to see how it looked, so if you have a link...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
emiel van marwijk

Zevenaar
Netherlands
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I printed some tracks (a4) and went to the Copy/Printshop and they enlarged it to fit the cars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Kjær
Denmark
Malling
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have a picture of the official Sebring track [geekurl=http://formulade.dk/index.php?page=track&num=38]here[/geekurl]

The site also have pictures of all other official tracks plus Connemara, that was used during this years Masters in France.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hoyt
United States
East Liverpool
Ohio
flag msg tools
ボルトン
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I open them in a paint program such as Photoshop or Adobe Illustrator and convert them to 8x11 page tiles, then print them out on a laser printer. Cut and glue/tape them together. I've done a handful this way, Fuji, Lille, Limerock.

Asking how the tracks play is really a matter of what type of tracks you like? Big open, 6th Gear rollers... Tight, Technical tracks...etc.

~Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.