BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Suggestions of good small & lightweight games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Formo Trucker
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Does anyone have any suggestions for good games which don't take up too much space and are easy to carry around.

I'm off on a relaxing enjoy-the-countryside type holiday soon with my girlfriend and I think it would be great to take a new game with us for the evenings.

Problem is it's going to have to fit in an already overcrowded suitcase.

Needs to be suitable for two people.

Any advance on a pack of cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
How about No Thanks!, Chrononauts and 6 nimmt! ? All are card games, but they don't use a standard deck.

(Category 5 is usually known as 6 Nimmt now)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, Formo.

Let me invite you to take a look at the nestorgames collection. They can be carried away and stored easily, as they can be bent and squeezed. Moreover, they occupy very little space and they are very light (around 150 grams per game, or 0.33 lb).

There are 21 games you can choose from.

I hope this helps,

Néstor Romeral Andrés
nestorgames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can fit Battle Line, Archaeology: The Card Game, Blue Moon (no dragons or board) and Lost Cities (no board) all in the Battle Line box. I usually take this bundle on our trips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lamb
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on what type of games you two enjoy.
Mystery Rummy: Jekyll & Hyde is a great small game if you two enjoy card games and is one of my favorite games.
Hive is small and comes with a vinyl travel case if you enjoy abstract chess like games.
Fantasy Flight Silver Line games come in a real small box if you are interested in games that have heavy themes. My wife and I really enjoy two player Red November and Citadels in the FF Silver Line.
Ingenious: Travel Edition is also a good choice that my wife really enjoys but it only take about 7 minutes after you get the hang of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
If you're into abstract-ish strategy games, don't forget The Battle for Hill 218.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Mandeville
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohnanza is a must :)
Also Fzzzt (literally a deck of cards), Rosenkonig (copy the grid onto a sheet of A4), Lost Cities (mentioned above, you don't need the board), Roma and Traders of Carthage (you can easily copy the board onto 1 A4 sheet), Cartagena.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Formo Trucker
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I had been thinking about Hive, because that appealed to me anyway, but maybe direct head to head, with no luck element, might be a bit too intense (competitive) for a relaxing holiday.

Red November looks like it could be a good option as that's co-operative right? They usually go down well.

I'll have to look into Mystery Rummy.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Natural born viking
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like abstract games there are portable and inexpensive sets available for Xiangqi and Shogi

Both recommended if you want something in the same category of games as chess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Formo Trucker
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks all. That's given me loads of suggestions to spend the next several hours researching.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Samardza

princess anne
Maryland
msg tools
you might want to look at the Warpspawn games sight. A lot of the games there just use a standard deck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Jefferson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the suggestion of Hive. It is very portable and darn near indestructible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Ishii
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should take a look at Jaipur. It is just for 2 players but it is really nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonGetsGames
United States
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest looking into "Taluva" as well. It plays great as a 2-4 player game, i'm currently in love with it. The box is big, but you could take the tiles out and store them in a more space concious way. They won't get damaged, they are some of the sturdiest cardboard pieces i've ever bumped into. The game teaches really quickly and plays in under an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd agree with the suggestion of Lost Cities. I've introduced that to my girlfriend recently (a long-time player of traditional pub games such as cribbage and dominoes, has also played Triv) and now she's very keen to play it whenever possible. You could also try Carcassonne (slightly bigger box, a bit more space to play), which I've also introduced my g/f to (she liked it but it hasn't got to her like Lost Cities has). Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Flett
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I recommend Chrononauts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Formo Trucker
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Well, Lost Cities seems to be the favourite - 3 votes against Hive's two.

Time to get out the credit card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Sorel
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would highly suggest Monopoly Deal Card Game

It is a quick game, easy to learn and play.

My cousin brought it on her trip to England. She met up with a friend there and brought it out to play. She had to leave it behind because her friend wanted a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Noble
United States
El Dorado Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I second Monopoly Deal Card Game. Archaeology: The Card Game is a great choice, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Pozun
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the answer is card games. I agree with the Lost Cities recommendation. Or any card game you like really, maybe SET, or Fluxx.

sp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.