Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently I watched a movie entitled Bubba Ho-tep. The film was about an elderly Elvis Presley who has secretly been living under an assumed name in a dark and grimy nursing home. The nursing home is besieged by an evil undead Egyptian mummy who devours old people's souls by sucking them out through whatever bodily orifice is most convenient. Usually this is the mouth, but if the victim trips and falls face-down, the mummy is willing to improvise, if you know what I mean. Actually, now that I think about it, I hope you do not know what I mean.

Now, I would never have guessed that a movie about Elvis fighting a killer mummy would be so agonizingly boring and painfully unfunny, but ninety minutes later I had to admit the awful truth. I mean, really, think about it: you have an elderly person who spends most of his time in bed griping about his various icky ailments, and you have a mummy who according to tradition can never move faster than a shamble. How exciting is this really going to be?

However, the fact remains: Elvis versus a mummy is an awesome idea for a movie. So, I made one: Elvis vs. the Mummy II. I personally guarantee that my movie is better than Bubba Ho-tep, and it gets the job done in only two minutes and five seconds. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Is it strange that the first thing I thought of when I read the title of this thread was Bubba Ho-tep? Is it even stranger that I was right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todays avatar: Last time I saw Axl he was waiting for his forever home.
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched Bubba Ho-Tep with my 20 year old niece and her room mate. It wasn't fun nor funny. In fact, I got a bit uncomfortable with the language in the movie. I think I'd have rather watched your movie with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bubbahotep was pretty awful. There was a good movie in there somewhere, but the execution was way off. If you want to be a depressing movie about growing old, do that, if you want to be a wacky comedy, do that, mixing the two was just painful.

Elvis vs the mummy II gets two thumbs up though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I never saw bubba ho-tep, but now I don't have to! That film was awesome. Rookie move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
The "rookie move" had me busting a gut!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bubba Ho-Tep is one of the three Unlikelies--movies my parents were surprised they enjoyed after I forced them to watch it. (The other two being Sin City and Orgazmo.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"I think you wi-ill have to come closer if you want to fight me."

That's the line there that ends the trailer--BAM!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
Bubba Ho-Tep is one of the three Unlikelies--movies my parents were surprised they enjoyed after I forced them to watch it.

Which part did they like best,
Spoiler (click to reveal)
the bit where Elvis talks about jerking off to get the pus out of the growth on his dick, or the wacky "Ding Dong" double entendre?

I probably should make my parents watch Bubba Ho-tep as revenge for giving me a copy of Zen Noir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
cool "I'm thinkin' with SAND here!" Bubba Ho Tep is great...those who say it wasn't funny don't know from funny, apparently. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I decided that the king of rock 'n' roll and his undead Egyptian enemy needed to have some more adventures. Please enjoy: Elvis vs. the Mummy Episode III: "Guy Talk"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that they're hanging out at Country Music Roundup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
KSensei wrote:
Is it strange that the first thing I thought of when I read the title of this thread was Bubba Ho-tep? Is it even stranger that I was right?

Of course it's not the least bit strange. Since Bubba Ho-tep is the only previously relevant reference in the past 100 years to cover this subject matter, if you've seen it or heard about it then it's pretty much guaranteed to be the first thing you think of when you see Joe's sequelishly-titled thread. The second question's resounding "NO!" follows right on the heels of the first question's answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I've never even heard of the original and now I've seen most of the remake, sans sound as is always may way of reading the Internet. I'm not sure I got a lot out of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMERIGAMER!
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

"Lemonade, that cool refreshing drink."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Always bring a gun to a puppet fight
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
OverText is totally worth 100 units of imaginary, worthless currency
badge
What the Hell else am I supposed to do with GeekGold?
mbmbmbmbmb
Bubba Ho-Tep has Bruce Campbell in it. How can it be unawesome?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
For exactly the same reason that Escape from L.A. was unawesome: Some stuff just has nothing sufficiently redemptive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.