Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many games now with a large number of expansions, but for those of us with limited money, space, time or indulgence by their S.O. it is essential to know which expansions will see a lot of use and which will languish gathering dust.

I have used a standard set of terms for scoring the expansions. These terms may not be applicable for some expansions so here are some alternatives:

Base Game is incomplete without it / Essential / Fixes the base game
Would always want to include this / Great / Adds a lot
Adds a little / Okay / Nice to have
A waste of money / Poor / Inconsequential
Actively harmful / Bad / Breaks the game

All five C&C Ancients get excellent ratings on BGG, with little to decide between them.

Poll
Rate those you know well
  Base Game is incomplete without it Would always want to include this Adds a little A waste of money Actively harmful
Pack #1: Greece & Eastern Kingdoms
Pack #2: Rome and the Barbarians
Pack #3: The Roman Civil Wars
Pack #4: Imperial Rome
Pack #5: Epic Ancients II
      107 answers
Poll created by 1000rpm

There is a geeklist which covers a lot of games in a similar way:
Which Expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played them all, some of them a lot, and have no idea how to answer this poll. After all, they are really separate from the base game, since they cover different eras and battles. So in a way, it can be said that they don't really add anything to the base game. If you go back and play a scenario in the base game, you don't use anything from any of the expansions.

However, I believe it is still necessary to buy them all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dweeb wrote:
I have played them all, some of them a lot, and have no idea how to answer this poll. After all, they are really separate from the base game, since they cover different eras and battles. So in a way, it can be said that they don't really add anything to the base game. If you go back and play a scenario in the base game, you don't use anything from any of the expansions.

However, I believe it is still necessary to buy them all

Thanks. The poll column headings are the standard ones that I used for other game expansions, yes they don't really apply here which is why I added all the alternative options.

But I guess from your comment that you would rate them all as either "Essential" or "Great"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trygve E. Rosenvinge
Norway
Arendal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think this is an interesting question. While none of the CCA expansions fixes the base game as there is nothing to fix, unlike the expansions of some other games, they all introduce new content.

To me the most interesting expansion is the 2nd; "Rome and the Barbarians" because the scenarios tend to depict two fundamentally different sides, whereas the other scenarios often feature similar, though rarely symmetrical armies. The 2nd expansion scenarios also make frequent use of terrain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first expansion is enough if you want to enjoy some good ancient battles; however, if you want to enjoy the fun of Epic Ancients, you are going to need 1-3 as well. Expansion 4 just seems like luxury item that you can pick up at your own leisure. Maybe, I will get sometime in the future when I need to complete a big order to avoid shipping costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.