United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
www.garrettsgames.com
badge
This week's podcast - Circus Flohcati, Pi Mal Pflaumen, and Pack O Games Set 2
mbmbmbmbmb
Shelley and I sit down on a sunny California afternoon and slog through two less-than-wonderful games:

Maus au Chocolat
and
At The Gates of Loyang

Hope you enjoy the episode more than we enjoyed playing the games!

www.garrettsgames.com or Subscribe through iTunes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Petersen
United States
St. Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Doug, you are getting jaded!

Better not let Uwe hear what you said about his game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Trimmer
United States
West Jefferson
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Doug,

I'm currently working on a translation of the "Maus au Chocolat" rules that will hopefully be ready soon. About half of the literal translation still needs to be reworded before it gets posted. Anyway, it's my understanding that when taking cards after bidding, you choose your cards from those available in the center first and then replace using your bid.

Here's my (almost finished) translation:

"Each player plays one ingredient card face down. When everyone is ready, all of the played cards are revealed simultaneously and the number of chocolate coins on the cards are compared (chocolate coins are noted on the ingredient cards in the upper corner). The player who bid the most chocolate coins is the first to choose two ingredients from those available in the middle of the table. Those are placed in his hand and he puts his bid card into the middle of the table."

Also, I definitely agree that "Maus" is just alright with two players. I'm still waiting for a chance to play with more and see if the game really comes to life.

-Nate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your delightful grumpiness encourages me to download this posthaste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Garrett
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
www.garrettsgames.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the note, Nate. The forums at the game itself have been helping me to clarify the rules as well. I'll put up what I have shortly.

Doug

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Garrett
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
www.garrettsgames.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke,

Yes, much grumpiness on my part with these games. It harks back to two aspects of gaming that are often at odds:

1) I love playing new games

2) New games can often disappoint.

Yesterday was a perfect example of how how #2 frustrates my desire to follow #1. We even had an aborted attempt at a game BEFORE playing the two discussed. Abandoned it because even though the RULES say it can be played with 2, it was FAR too frustrating with just two players. I'll have to try it with 3 or 4 to get a better sense of the game - I don't WANT to have a bad review to any game, so I do want to give them an honest shot. By the end of my review of Maus au Chocolat, I think it's clear that I want to come back to THAT game and try it with more people. With At The Gates..., however, I think we're done...

Thanks for listening!

Doug

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.