Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Thunderstone» Forums » Rules

Subject: When do Light bonuses NOT Count? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally when I look at my hand, the first thing I do is add up my Light total. After all, it's so easy since any card which gives you light shows it in the exact same spot. Plus, it's on the left border of the card so you can see it with your cards fanned out. (As an Aside, I really wish they did the same with Attack values, instead of putting basic ATTACK and MAGIC ATTACK in the card text).

I am pretty sure I know all the "correct" answers (according to rules/FAQ/Errata) to these questions but just want to confirm:

1. Light from Torches, Lanterns, Lightstone Gems, and the Red Jelly Monster trophy Always count, unless you destroy the card using some other DUNGEON effect before battle (such as Banish).

2. A Flaming Sword produces no Light if it is not equipped

3. If a Hero "Cannot Attack", they do not produce any Light. Currently, this only applies to the following Cards: Haunt, Darkness, Feayn Archer, Feayn Marksman, and Feayn Sniper (when attacking Rank 1).


The next few are counter-intuitive to me. But I am pretty sure these are the correct rulings. I will probably not teach/play the game using these rules. And I suspect that they will be frequently forgotten if I did teach them.

4. If a Monster is immune to Magic Attack, Fireballs and Flaming Swords do not produce any Light. (To me, just because the monster doesn't take damage shouldn't mean the Fireball isn't lighting up the dungeon)

5. If a Monster is immune to Physical damage, then Light from Physical heroes (Feayn Archer, Feayn Marksman, Feayn Sniper, Lorigg Thief, Lorigg Rogue, Lorigg Outlaw) does not count

6. If a Monster is immune to Magical damage, then Light from Magical heroes (Elf Wizard, Elf Sorcerer, Elf Archmage) does not count

This last one I am not sure about:

7. If a Heroes Attack is reduced to 0, they do not produce any Light. Currently, this is only possible if a Lorigg Thief attacks Judgement.


Can anyone help confirm/deny that these are all correct? Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Faranim wrote:

The next few are counter-intuitive to me. But I am pretty sure these are the correct rulings. I will probably not teach/play the game using these rules. And I suspect that they will be frequently forgotten if I did teach them.

4. If a Monster is immune to Magic Attack, Fireballs and Flaming Swords do not produce any Light. (To me, just because the monster doesn't take damage shouldn't mean the Fireball isn't lighting up the dungeon)

5. If a Monster is immune to Physical damage, then Light from Physical heroes (Feayn Archer, Feayn Marksman, Feayn Sniper, Lorigg Thief, Lorigg Rogue, Lorigg Outlaw) does not count

6. If a Monster is immune to Magical damage, then Light from Magical heroes (Elf Wizard, Elf Sorcerer, Elf Archmage) does not count

This last one I am not sure about:

7. If a Heroes Attack is reduced to 0, they do not produce any Light. Currently, this is only possible if a Lorigg Thief attacks Judgement.


Can anyone help confirm/deny that these are all correct? Thanks.

These are pretty counter-intuitive, and what makes you "pretty sure these are the correct rulings"? In fact, based on the rulebook, these seem to be all wrong..
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
princemousey wrote:
In fact, based on the rulebook, these seem to be all wrong..
Which rulebook?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, this is for the v1.3 newest Rulebook. Mostly based on the discussions in this thread:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/489845/questions-about-new-r...

p.14
"Magic Attack Immunity: Any Magic Attack Value on all your cards is reduced to zero. Only regular Attack can be used against this Monster. Heroes that only produce Magic Attack provide no other Effects (such as Light) to battle."

slaqr wrote:
Antistone wrote:
No, you misread the question. I quoted text that says that heroes that produce only MAGIC Attack cannot be used against MAGIC ATTACK IMMUNE monsters. Question 7 asked whether heroes that produce only REGULAR Attack can be used against MAGIC ATTACK ONLY monsters (there's no text saying they can't).


It is safe to apply the same logic in reverse. Regular Attack only Heroes have no effects on "Magic Attack Only monsters".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bond
msg tools
mbmb
Faranim wrote:
Sorry, this is for the v1.3 newest Rulebook. Mostly based on the discussions in this thread:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/489845/questions-about-new-r...

p.14
"Magic Attack Immunity: Any Magic Attack Value on all your cards is reduced to zero. Only regular Attack can be used against this Monster. Heroes that only produce Magic Attack provide no other Effects (such as Light) to battle."



Furthermore a Hero with a magic attack text that equips a attack (non magic) weapon could use his light against a magic attack immunity monster as he's allowed to attack with the weapon only.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I can assure you that a pre-reprint version of the rules is being worked on that addresses all of these light issues, as well as the issues presented in the question about the rules 1.3 thread.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Mondeau
msg tools
mb
slaqr wrote:
I can assure you that a pre-reprint version of the rules is being worked on that addresses all of these light issues, as well as the issues presented in the question about the rules 1.3 thread.


WOOT. You rock, sir.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.