Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Auctioning (Almost) All The Games!
mbmbmbmbmb
I could block all ads, but I'm happy to support BGG both directly through contributions and indirectly by having ads show up.

However more and more ads are animated with flashing text or moving objects. It makes it difficult for me to concentrate on the text and read BGG, and I'm getting really tempted to use the ad blocker for everything. I'm already blocking Flash in my browser, so I'm talking mostly about animated images, but I guess my complaint would also apply to animated flash ads if I didn't block them already...

I would really appreciate if there was an option to only block animated ads (images and/or flash) and keep the static ones.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Collins
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm even more annoyed with animated avatars, honestly. At least that's easy to fix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Goddard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your using Firefox, pressing the Escape key will normally stop any animated images displayed in a web page.

Also, (I think this is allowed because it's not talking about blocking any ad's. If I'm wrong please have pity on me BGG Admins......) In Firefox, go to the page about:config and locate the key image.animation_mode set its value to ‘none’ to stop all animated gifs from being displayed on all websites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. I have all googleads blocked. Still haven't figured out how to block the flash ones (the most annoying), though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Norway
Stavanger
Rogaland
flag msg tools
Those who know do not speak.
badge
Those who speak do not know.
mbmbmbmbmb
There's commercial issues to consider here. BGG can't just tell their sponsors that they can't use animated ads; they'll just advertise elsewhere. If half of these companies could have their way the entire site would be molested by giant animated flash thingies that have to be clicked around before you can even see any content.

The client-side work arounds proposed here seem most commercially feasible IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Squelart
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Auctioning (Almost) All The Games!
mbmbmbmbmb
wellspokenman wrote:
There's commercial issues to consider here. BGG can't just tell their sponsors that they can't use animated ads; they'll just advertise elsewhere.

I'm not sure I see your point... BGG already gives me the option to block all ads, thereby potentially losing advertising money. I would just like a new option to block only these ads that are animated.

Nothing to do with the advertisers themselves, unless they saw that a significant portion of the readership blocked animated ads, in which case they would be compelled to play nice and show static ads. But BGG won't tell them that they can't use animated ads.

I think we would all win in the end: I could read the site with less distractions, and advertisers would be blocked less than they already are.

Thanks to all who suggested Escape to stop animations, it helps a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Norway
Stavanger
Rogaland
flag msg tools
Those who know do not speak.
badge
Those who speak do not know.
mbmbmbmbmb
You pay for that option, thereby balancing the revenue lost from users with no ads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Since you are a supporter and only want to avoid animated ads, I guess it's proper to recommend the mozilla plug-ins Flashblock or NoScript.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.