Popular Tags: [View All]
Terry Bailey Sr.
United States
Jonesborough
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It is a deck of cards, 4 die and rules. $24 really? The website even implies that is with a discount. Sigh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Simas
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's 175 cards I believe, that's more like 3-4 decks of cards. Seems like a reasonable price to me.

Edit: spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terry,

Thanks for your feedback. The game includes 175 cards- almost 4 decks of cards, not one. Also we have 4 different common backs which makes the card printing price go up a bit. All of the components are very high quality and the box is a telescoping box, not a tuck box.

We support USA manufacturers by choice. All of our products are 100% made in the USA, which is important to us. It may make the game cost a bit more than outsourcing our printing to China, but again, it's a publisher decision to keep all of our printing here in the States.

Also, unlike CCGs which depend on you to buy boosters, we give you everything you need in the box for an infinitely replayable game. Many CCGs require you to spend hundreds of dollars just to have a playable game. This game is playable right out of the box and doesn't depend on boosters.

One other thing- the price doesn't include my time to design, develop, test, market, and publish the game- it's entirely based on printing costs.

I'm sorry if the price seems high, but I do believe you'll enjoy the game if you decide to give it a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a hell of a lot cheaper than the Down in Flames games which are cards and a few chits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skyjack wrote:

It is a deck of cards, 4 die and rules. $24 really? The website even implies that is with a discount. Sigh.

That is in the ballpark of Race for the Galaxy and other card games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Todd
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
$24 seems more than reasonable for a small print run game from a small publisher. Yu-Gi-Oh is $4 for a pack of 10 cards or $10 for a deck of 40 cards. You can find cheaper card games on the endcaps at Target, but they're going to be large print run games from big publishers and the box will probably hold 50-60 cards. Three copies of Rat-a-Tat Cat will run you over $20.

Also, despite the name, Rat-a-tat cat isn't a wargame about cats with machine guns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's a telescoping box? And made in USA is the way to go! That way, if there are any QC problems, you can just drive over to the factory and find out what's causing them, instead of having to phone them long-distance and yet just get some lame excuse. Also, I personally think that the quality of products made in the USA is of a fairly high standard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
princemousey wrote:
What's a telescoping box?

A box with a lid and a bottom, which most games come in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Bailey Sr.
United States
Jonesborough
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok let's compare to dominion. 500 high quality cards

26.95 from cardhaus.com

I am sure the designer worked just as hard.
It is in a telescoping box with special divider insert.
Must be those dice that elevate the price.
I don't mean to be negative but card games of this type usually have a price point under $20. Look for example at smallbox games line of card games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skyjack wrote:

26.95 from cardhaus.com

I don't mean to be negative but card games of this type usually have a price point under $20. Look for example at smallbox games line of card games.

Dominion's MSRP is $44.95
Race for the Galaxy's MSRP is $34.95
San Juan's MSRP is $29.95
Munchkin's MSRP is $24.95

San Juan and Munchkin sell for less than $20 from most online retailers. It's quite possible that this game will as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skyjack wrote:

26.95 from cardhaus.com

Three things:

1.) It is incredibly unfair to compare the price of a game in an online store to the MSRP of another. If you want to talk about Dominion, look at Rio Grande's site: MSRP is 44.95. Better yet, consider Citadels by Fantasy Flight which is very similar in terms of what you get. You gets something like 80 cards, some little plastic pieces and a single wooden token and it has an MSRP of 24.95.

2.) As others have pointed out, this is a newer company and this is a more limited printing this you might have with larger companies. This means it costs them more to make the game and it is harder to produce a profit that allows them to continue as a company.

3.) If you don't like the price, enter the giveaway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion is a mass-printed game and I believe it's printed overseas. This game will have a large print run, but probably not as large as Dominion. Card quality in Dominion and this game is comparable.

When Dominion first came out, I believe I paid $50- some stores had it for more than that. It's been out for a while and as with any game, prices tend to fall over time. Also prices are generally cheaper in online stores because they have less overhead / no storefront.

All of the Smallbox line of games come in a tuck box. This is a huge difference in production cost, which is why I mentioned the telescoping box of Spearpoint. Now our boxes for this game aren't huge, but telescoping is much nicer, has thicker board, and will last much longer than a tuck box for storing components.

I've worked hard to negotiate the price down as low as I can with our USA-based printer, and I believe it is a fair price.

Please also remember that distributors and retailers do take a large portion of the retail price of any game and we cannot undersell them in our own online store. You may be able to find this game cheaper in an online store or FLGS- and we certainly are fine with orders through game stores- we encourage it in fact- as it supports the entire supply chain.

Seriously, if $4 is the difference in ordering or not, I wish you all the best. Those games from smallbox do look fun but I'm sorry you'll be missing out on Spearpoint.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
...enter the giveaway.

Terry, I assumed you found this game because of the promotion we're doing through The Geek! Definitely enter the contest if you haven't already!

Here's a link: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/490667/frontline-general...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide Galloni
Italy
Reggio Emilia
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
last year I bought the first game of Frontline Generals line and I can confirm the quality of the components. I'm sure that this game will be the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jensen
United States
Fredericksburg
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skyjack wrote:

Man, I thought $24 for a game like this was a steal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I'm using Google Chrome and when I add the game as a preorder to my cart, it breaks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow... another whiner... shake

Here is an idea, if you think it is too expensive, don't buy it. Why would you bother posting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frontlinegeneral wrote:
Now our boxes for this game aren't huge . . .

Small boxes are a real plus for me. I need the storage. To me, the main issue is hwo fun the game is and I look forward to trying it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shawn_low wrote:
Hmm, I'm using Google Chrome and when I add the game as a preorder to my cart, it breaks.

Shawn, GM Sent. And if anyone else is having trouble with our store- please let me know- we have other options for preordering.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Hamill
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I suppose if it isn't free some people will complain. Seems a reasonable price to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Epperson
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. Collins, you won't by chance be at PrezCon 2010 would you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VonEpp wrote:

Doug,

Yes, I'll be there exhibiting our games. I'll have POD copies of this game on hand for demo the entire time- stop by and I'll take you through a game or two
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Epperson
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frontlinegeneral wrote:
VonEpp wrote:

Doug,

Yes, I'll be there exhibiting our games. I'll have POD copies of this game on hand for demo the entire time- stop by and I'll take you through a game or two

SWEEEEEET!!!

I have place my pre-order! Can't wait till PrezCon.
Epp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Bailey Sr.
United States
Jonesborough
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I have to admit I was sceptical at first. The arguments you present are good. I certainly meant no disrespect or slight to your product. I have entered the contest. After all I have never at anytime thought it sounded like a bad game. I just get sticker shock sometimes when games only come with cards. I wish your game all the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skyjack wrote:
Ok I have to admit I was sceptical at first. The arguments you present are good. I certainly meant no disrespect or slight to your product. I have entered the contest. After all I have never at anytime thought it sounded like a bad game. I just get sticker shock sometimes when games only come with cards. I wish your game all the best.

Hey no problem man, we're all gamers here. I didn't take it as disrespectful We all have different tastes, likes, dislikes, expectations, and thresholds for price when it comes to games.

Thanks for entering the contest and good luck with your entry!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.