Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Terminology rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Old Thrashbarg

London
msg tools
mbmb
Would someone be so good as to explain CCG terms such as 'highlander', 'peasant', 'control', 'mill' etc to me? I've only played CCGs in the most casual way, and am not familiar with them.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old Thrashbarg

London
msg tools
mbmb
Excellent, thank you very much.

Are there any other, similar, terms I should know about?

I think you hit the nail on the head with regard to the meaning of the terms. They do make sense, but unless you know why, it's a difficult code to crack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there's slow and fast decks, generally referring to whether the bulk of your playable cards require a lot of resources or not, which will determine how quickly you can win. There's the "Weenie" term, (put out a ton of low cost creatures). There are "aggro" decks, (very fast, do damage quickly, don't worry about defending).

That being said, not all of these really apply to CoC, as the story mechanic is very different from Magic or many other "dueling" CCGs. Also, in CoC, "speed" can more often mean "Investigation Icons" than creature cost. Though most characters with investigation icons are Miskatonic U, and they tend to be cheaper for the most part anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old Thrashbarg

London
msg tools
mbmb
Windopaene wrote:
Also, in CoC, "speed" can more often mean "Investigation Icons" than creature cost. Though most characters with investigation icons are Miskatonic U, and they tend to be cheaper for the most part anyway.

That's a good point. I really like cards, such as 'Open for inspection', that add extra struggle icons to the story cards, and other strategies that let you build on the strengths of your faction. At the moment I'm finding the game a little too heavy on the characters, which both limits strategy and makes it predictable. I've only been playing with the core set so far, however (though I've bought a few Asylum Packs), so hopefully that will change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Core set is too heavy on characters. The APs will help with this. BUT, it does feel like a fairly "character-centric" game. The abilities of the characters to impact the game state is pretty huge, and you've got to have characters to run at stories...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.