Subject: New race idea, and a couple of specials! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Du Rietz
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Hi,
I've been playing small world with a couple of friends for a while now.
And I thought it was time to post our ideas for races and specials.
So here they come:

Races

Shades (6)

You may use your shades as assassins, sending one shade into an enemy region. At the end of your turn the shade will eliminate one enemy race token without conquering the region, and then be redeployed as usual. You can only assassinate one enemy of each active race per turn.

*Stealthy race capable of sneaking passed defenses*

Specials

Lucky (4)

At the end of your turn, you automatically gain a reinforcement dice result of 3. In addition you may roll the dice at the end of each turn and you gain an equal amount of victory coins as is displayed by the dice.

*Keep luck on your side*

Telepathic (5)

Once per turn you may take mental control over one group of adjecant enemies (one group refering to all the enemies in one particular region), forcing them into attacking any nearby region. Normal conquest rules apply for the mindcontrolled troops. No racial traits or special abilities apply on the mindcontrolled troops.

*Take control of the war*

There they are, please post with some positive feedback or critisicm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steek wrote:
Shades (7)

You may use your shades as assassins, sending one shade into an enemy region. At the end of your turn the shade will eliminate one enemy race token without conquering the region, and then be redeployed as usual. You can only assassinate one enemy of each active race per turn.

This is rather similar to an idea of my own -- a special power called Assassin -- that I haven't playtested yet. I do think it's viable, but you need to clarify:
- At first I thought you had special tokens to represent the assassins, but then realized you meant that the race tokens are themselves used. You may want to say "You may use your Shade tokens as assassins".
- Can Shade tokens only go into regions adjacent to those they occupy, or anywhere on the board?
- How can you assassinate "one enemy of each active race per turn", if you only send "one shade into an enemy region"? Do you mean that you can send Shade tokens into as many enemy regions as you want, but no more than one per region?

Quote:
Lucky (4)

At the end of your turn, you automatically gain a reinforcement dice result of 3. In addition you may roll the dice at the end of each turn and you gain an equal amount of victory coins as is displayed by the dice.

*Keep luck on your side*

For the first part, it might be more clearly worded something like, "During your final conquest, your die roll (if any) is automatically a 3."

Since the average die roll (0+0+0+1+2+3/6) is a 1, the second part of Lucky is half as good as Alchemist. Putting both parts together, I think this might be a bit too strong, and should have its token number reduced to 3. But playtesting will tell.

Quote:
Telepathic (5)

Once per turn you may take mental control over one group of adjecant enemies (one group refering to all the enemies in one particular region), forcing them into attacking any nearby region. Normal conquest rules apply for the mindcontrolled troops. No racial traits or special abilities apply on the mindcontrolled troops.

This violates the unwritten standard of Small World that players for the most part have control over everything they do, so it won't appeal to many players. But it will appeal to others, including your group probably, so go for it if you want.

However, there are a lot of issues this could bring up, which playtesting will reveal:
- Can the mindcontrolled troops use the die?
- Does one token in the mindcontrolled region get left behind, or are all used, or does the Telepathic player decide how many to use, or what?
- What happens if the Kobolds are left with 1 token in a region after this mindcontrolled conquest?
- Does this imply that you could force a Fortified race to abandon its fort?
- Does this work on in-decline races as well?
- etc.

The number of potential issues this raises strikes me as much bigger problem than the loss of control for your opponents, so I doubt that this would be a good power without a lot of careful work.

In general, playtest, playtest, playtest. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Du Rietz
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Shades (7)

Quote:
This is rather similar to an idea of my own -- a special power called Assassin -- that I haven't playtested yet. I do think it's viable, but you need to clarify:
- At first I thought you had special tokens to represent the assassins, but then realized you meant that the race tokens are themselves used. You may want to say "You may use your Shade tokens as assassins".
- Can Shade tokens only go into regions adjacent to those they occupy, or anywhere on the board?
- How can you assassinate "one enemy of each active race per turn", if you only send "one shade into an enemy region"? Do you mean that you can send Shade tokens into as many enemy regions as you want, but no more than one per region?

- Correct, you use your shade tokens as the assassins.
- Single shade tokens, that is assassins, can stealth into any region on the board.
- When shades attack a region regularly, standard conquest rules apply. meaning no stealth.
- You need 1 shade token per assassination, but you can send out several assassins though max. 1/active race. You cannot assassinate declines.

Lucky (4)

*Keep luck on your side*

Quote:
For the first part, it might be more clearly worded something like, "During your final conquest, your die roll (if any) is automatically a 3."

Since the average die roll (0+0+0+1+2+3/6) is a 1, the second part of Lucky is half as good as Alchemist. Putting both parts together, I think this might be a bit too strong, and should have its token number reduced to 3. But playtesting will tell.

-This is actually quite well balanced, it's kind of a mix of commando and alchemist, but reducing the amount of tokens too 3 might become necisary.

Telepathic (5)

Quote:
This violates the unwritten standard of Small World that players for the most part have control over everything they do, so it won't appeal to many players. But it will appeal to others, including your group probably, so go for it if you want.

However, there are a lot of issues this could bring up, which playtesting will reveal:
- Can the mindcontrolled troops use the die?
- Does one token in the mindcontrolled region get left behind, or are all used, or does the Telepathic player decide how many to use, or what?
- What happens if the Kobolds are left with 1 token in a region after this mindcontrolled conquest?
- Does this imply that you could force a Fortified race to abandon its fort?
- Does this work on in-decline races as well?
- etc.

The number of potential issues this raises strikes me as much bigger problem than the loss of control for your opponents, so I doubt that this would be a good power without a lot of careful work.

In general, playtest, playtest, playtest. Good luck!

- No you cant use the die for the mindcontrolled troops/tokens.
- All are used leaving the region they came from empty.
- Impossible.
- That is the idea.
- And lastly no you can't mind control declines.

Hopefully this will asnwer most questions.
I wanted to keep the descriptions short *mistake*

Thanks for the feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barliman wrote:
Steek wrote:
Shades (7)

This is rather similar to an idea of my own -- a special power called Assassin -- that I haven't playtested yet.

I like very much the idea of the Assassin but as a power not as a race.
I would modify it to something like that:
Quote:
During conquest phase the player can chose to send tokens as assassin (there is no limit for how many sent per turn) to an adjacent enemy territory that is not immune to attacks. Assassins will eliminate one enemy token from that area on a any result but a blank on a dice roll. Elves and Dryads are normally affected by assassins.The targeted region can't be conquered by the assassins. After the conquest phase, assassins will be redeployed as usual.

I might include that after some tests in the Compendium II if you are ok with that Steek...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Du Rietz
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
I might include that after some tests in the Compendium II if you are ok with that Steek...

Yeah, ofcourse that was what I've been hoping for.

The problem with having it as a special power is that it would be unbalanced, since 5 is the maximum amount of tokens from a special power.

When using the shades assassination ability you are sacrificing your own income, that's why I balanced it by giving them 7 tokens and the shades sent as assassins the ability to sneak passed other regions (a "flying" ability). That way you can make strategic strikes on other players forts. and such.

But if you think you can balance it as a special power, go for it!
It would be a fun addition to the game.

Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Du Rietz
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
bprevas wrote:
"Lucky" seems like an interesting idea, but an automatic 3 seems a bit strong. As said, a reduction of the number of tiles could balance it some. Then again, I haven't playtested it, so I'll yield to your experience.

I had a sort-of similar idea for "Gambling" where you get to roll the die twice--which could still give you zero, but could also give you up to 6. Haven't tried that idea either....

I like the assassin idea. I think it might be more interesting if you pull him off the board if using the special ability instead of redeploying. Thematically it would make him look like he is off infiltrating somewhere, and strategically, a player would have to weigh the cost benefit a bit more, which makes it a more compelling mechanic. I think this race would work much better in a two-player game. With more players, the others would be free-loading off your use of your special ability, which might be problematic.

Nice ideas! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for the critisicm, a possible fix to the lucky problem (a problem I personally havn't noticed that much), is that you get an automatic roll of 2 instead of 3. I don't wan't to reduce the amount of tokens since I personally don't enjoy playing with few tokens. Lucky Dwarves would be awful

The fix for the "freeloading" problem is that you get 7 tokens, basically ratmen with a strategic element to them instead of 1 token. And since you can only assassinate one enemy of each active race/turn it still isn't to powerfull 1v1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.