Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many games now with a large number of expansions, but for those of us with limited money, space, time or indulgence by their S.O. it is essential to know which expansions will see a lot of use and which will languish gathering dust.

I have used a standard set of terms for scoring the expansions. These terms may not be applicable for some expansions so here are some alternatives:

Base Game is incomplete without it / Essential / Fixes the base game
Would always want to include this / Great / Adds a lot
Adds a little / Okay / Nice to have
A waste of money / Poor / Inconsequential
Actively harmful / Bad / Breaks the game

Poll
Rate those you know well
  Base Game is incomplete without it Would often want to include this Adds a little A waste of money Actively harmful
Artifacts and Allies
Battlemage Character Deck
Beasts and Bandits
Blade Dancer Character Deck
Champions of Kellos
Crown of the Elder Kings
Cult of the Rune
Drakes and Dragonspawn
Midnight
Relics of Legend
Rituals and Runes
Runemaster Character Deck
Sands of Al-Kalim
Shadow Walker Character Deck
Shadows of Margath (Second Edition)
Spiritbound Character Deck
The Cataclysm
The Dark Forest
The Frozen Wastes
The Island of Dread
The Scepter of Kyros
The Seven Scions
The Terrors of the Tomb
Traps and Terrors
Walkers of the Wild
Weapons of Legend
Wildlander Character Deck
Figure: Jonas the Kind
Figure: Nara the Fang
Figure: Tobin Farslayer
Figure: Truthseer Kel
      83 answers
Poll created by 1000rpm

There is a geeklist which covers a lot of games in a similar way:
Which Expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gren doogan wrote:
I WISH... that FFG would release an official coop expansion game for Runebound.

Totally agree. Still wish there was an expansion that required co-op play (or at least a mini-expansion) but feel it's growing less likely all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"Really don't mind if you sit this one out. My word's but a whisper, your deafness a shout."
badge
"If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead."
mbmbmbmbmb
gren doogan wrote:
I really never liked the competitive nature of the base game. It seems counter-intuitive to me, in terms of the themes they've written into Terrinoth, and the whole "heroes setting out to stop the great evil" thing. . . .

Well, you could just agree to trade, not fight, and to join forces against the common threat. Some players can go for the runes while others go directly for the bad guy. Yeah, only one player gets to fight the boss battle if it comes to that.* Otherwise, players can gather toward the end, trade the four runes to one player, and declare a joint victory.

Too easy? Then crank up the Doom Track or Threat Track till it's tough enough.

It's what I'd do anyway if I were playing more than one character in a solo game. So, why not agree to do it with other players?

*But you could rule that if a hero is KO'd in the boss battle, the boss keeps his wounds till the end of the turn--which means other players within range might get a shot at him in a weakened condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Arbelaez
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, a while back I finished a coop variant for Runebound. It's in Runebound's files:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/44064/cooperative-mult...-

It is a large document, but it's really not complex, at least half of it is a graphic walkthrough of how combat takes place, and some sheets that have to be printed.

The largest part of the document deals with explaining how to handle challenges, encounters and events as a group (I was very detailed - perhaps too detailed, including lots of examples, and this ended up increasing the size of the document), but this part you only have to read it once to understand it, and you probably won't even have to reference it, as it is rather intuitive.

The rest of the document defines a group combat system, and adds some new rules for coop gaming, but nothing major...

Anyway, don't let the size of the document put you off, just give it a quick read, perhaps it might end up being what you are looking for, or at least it might give you a few ideas to incorporate to your own system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Lazaroski
United States
Montgomery
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Poll!

I'm JUST now getting into board gaming and Runebound (picked it up just to monkey around with it in my spare solo time...not sure if I can convince the wife yet...)

And this is a great list that shows me what people feel is worth the cash.

I happened to throw in the Cataclysm adventure deck to round out an order, so I am excited to see how that works...but need to play more of the base game before I add that into the mix.

thanks again, great thread!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"Really don't mind if you sit this one out. My word's but a whisper, your deafness a shout."
badge
"If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead."
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who want to find out more about which expansions are good to buy, I highly recommend this Runebound shopping guide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
newuser wrote:
gren doogan wrote:
I WISH... that FFG would release an official coop expansion game for Runebound.

Totally agree. Still wish there was an expansion that required co-op play (or at least a mini-expansion) but feel it's growing less likely all the time.

Runebound: The Seven Scions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim DuBois
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gren doogan wrote:
Plus, the player vs. player feels like its tacked on, and is clunky at best. We always find ourselves discarding the competitive cards, and I found the character deck expansions a vain attempt at increasing player interaction, by increasing the screw-over factor.

We always get rid of the competitive cards too, and I never liked the character deck expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Paulino Mora Lizano
Costa Rica
Asunción de Belén
Heredia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gren doogan wrote:
I WISH... that FFG would release an official coop expansion game for Runebound. I know there are user-variants out there, but then you end up with another 20 page rulebook to follow, and a bogged-down game. Something uncomplicated and basically uses the framework they've established with some minor changes and maybe a couple of new rules and counters. This, in my humble opinion, would make Runebound a 10.

They've already have done that with the Seven Scions and Midnight. Check those out, or check Midnight since it seems you've already checked Seven Scions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Schroinger wrote:
check Midnight since it seems you've already checked Seven Scions...

Strictly speaking still not coop as one player has to be the villain. In a two player game for example, this is even more competitive than standard Runebound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Paulino Mora Lizano
Costa Rica
Asunción de Belén
Heredia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Schroinger wrote:
check Midnight since it seems you've already checked Seven Scions...

Strictly speaking still not coop as one player has to be the villain. In a two player game for example, this is even more competitive than standard Runebound.

Ok, then check it out for three or more players.

By the way, I believe there are at least four kinds of cooperative games:

1. Everybody vs. the game: Witch of Salem, Pandemic, Lord of the Rings...

2. Everybody vs. the bad guy: In these games, the bad guy borrows his/her intelligence to the game, nevertheless the heroes play cooperative against him/her. Since the objectives are totally different, being one the negation of the other, it is not just a game played in teams. Some examples: Descent: Journeys in the Dark, Escape from Colditz, Middle-Earth Quest, Clue: The Great Museum Caper...

3. Traitor: Similar to number 1., but some players secretly play against the team. Examples: Battlestar Galactica, Shadows over Camelot...

4. Light cooperative games: In these games there is a single winner, but the players should play as a team in all or some aspects of the game. Example: Castle Panic, Terra, Arkham Horror, Cutthroat Caverns...

All of them can be seen as cooperative games, as people can tell out of the clasification that has been made in BGG and in other sites about gaming...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Colon Calculator wrote:
I really do not understand the desire for co-op in Runebound. . . I think its great to have an adventure game that features competetive play.

Competitive play seems to be the norm to me for fantasy games (Talisman, Runebound, Prophecy, Dungeoneer, Return of the Heroes, Dungeon Twister, Descent, HeroQuest, Advanced HQ, WoW Adventure Game and Wow Board Game).

Coop you have: Warhammer Quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.