Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so I was reading here that Greg Costikyan, the original designer of the PB game, is looking at doing a reproduction of the game.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/475757/planning-a-second...

Here are the rules, so far: http://s3.amazonaws.com/playthisthing/rulesv_3.doc

I want to say that I really like the updated rules! Good job. I think that this may be better than the original, which I really like.

So, I decided to go through them to put in my $.02. Here you go.

P.9, Colonial Office Cards - Suggestion: Have the lowest/worst one say "Reshuffle". After that rounds income, reshuffle cards. This varies the income received a bit.

P.13, VPs - Perhaps change this sentence. "All players end with £0." I understand what you mean, but it could be confusing.

P.16, Unit Maintenance, 2nd Para - I think you got rid of "States" as equivalents to Dominions. If so, needs to be removed here. (Personally, I could still see them as useful for a non-European, US player...)

P.21, Indian Army - Perhaps drop the "if possible".

P.33 Clearing up after a war - Why would any players keep anyone abroad at this point? If they get to move them back home after a war, what’s the point? In the old game it was a balance between how many guys get sent out to fight and having to have maintenance paid against them. (This also answered the issue of the guy who mentioned that colonies didn’t pay for themselves the equivalent of the first turn in existence.) Anyway, is this the same as last time? Am I missing something?

Then overall, why would one want to keep troops outside of the home country? Might need an example.

P.34, VPs, VP Multiples - Seems like Russia’s too high. Maybe 4/5?

P.34, VPs last sentence - May I suggest that the player VP totals are placed on the board, rather than on the player mats? It just makes it easier to keep track of and not have someone "accidentally" or purposefully adjust them. This is the case with Struggle of Empires, Age of Renaissance, etc. The other things work well on the player mats. Theses things are easily recheckable, which is good with the constant juggling of pieces on/off the map. But the VPs will be hard to recreate if they are jostled.

P.37, Bonus VPs - Canal, E-W & N-S paths - Are these VPs per turn, on the first turn they are gotten, or end of game VPs? When does a player gain these?

P.37-38, Bonus VPs - Are the special VPs for the countries given per turn, on the first turn they are gotten, or end of game VPs? When does a player gain these?

P.44, Chinese Attacks - Misspelled word, "aremies".

P.44, Removing Status Markers - “If during any War-Turn End phase, a Chinese army is in an area that contains any colonial status marker, and there are no colonial armies in the area, the status marker is removed. If it was a Control marker, the area immediately regains its "Chinese control" and the ability to roll in combat."

Just checking here. Do you mean that the European control markers DON’T get to roll the one dice like normal? (Attacking, p.31) I understand if this is a special case. May want to mention it.

P.45, Reparations, 1st Para - “Each colonial power who has any units remaining in China (not Vassal States) may demand the cession of one Chinese area." Does this mean that you can take provinces from those currently occupied by the victorious allies or from ANY Chinese provinces? Either way could one give away provinces that already have a Western control marker?

FREX: Japan has a colony in Shanghai. A Chinese war happens. The Chinese are defeated, but never took Shanghai. The victors only traveled into Shanghai, Peking and one other. (Don’t have the map here.) When the victors start haggling over reparations, do they get to add Shanghai into the discussions or is it considered already the Japanese property?

P.45, War with the Ottomans - Why do European tensions NOT increase when the Ottomans dow a European power?

P.47, Additional Bonus VP Awards, Dominance of China - When is this awarded? Per turn? End of the game?

P.49, Deliberations of the Congress, last para - I like this. I don’t remember if it was in the first game, but I like that you can’t force someone not in the problem being dealt with into accepting some stupid resolution.

P.52. I like the codominions rule. Good compromise.

P.52, 3rd Para - Used the term "Interest", should be "Influence"

P.53, Codominions and Wars & Income from Codominions - If you are in a codominion with someone and you go to war, can you remove their marker so that you are the sole occupant? (Not in the rules, but a good thing, I think.)

P.54, Using "Abandoned Power" Rules for Unplayed Great Powers, second Para - "maintenence" is misspelled.

In war is there some idea of "supply"? By that I mean, what happens if Germany is at war with France. Germany has a colony and 3 factor unit in Kongo, but no ships. Say, they’ve all been destroyed. What happens to the Kongo? Does it need to be taken like normal? Can it just sit there until France tries to take it? I think this is the case, right?

Other than that it looks good. Looking forward to giving it a run out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WHAT!?! No love here??? devil

Oh well, I have another question. When rolling random events, there can be 6, is that correct? It appears so. I thought with the older game it was capped at 4. Just wondering.

Thanks.

Also, found another misspelling, p.14 under Card Clarifications - you have the word "careas" rather than "areas".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.