Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
So, ever since they added the thumbnail I haven't been able to copy and paste a list of games with their rank into excel.

So, has anyone figured out an easy way to get a list of games with their rank (without programing and script writing)

Someone had suggested making a sockpuppet and adding every game as owned. While I suppose this will work, it was taking for ever to add each game. Is this really the best way?

Also, while I'm at it for the advanced search, has anyone figured out a way to get more then 10 pages of data?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you copy the data into Notepad, the images will be stripped.

More technically, see: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/BGG_XML_Snapshot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks

Unfortunately, I'm not a programmer, so that XML page is all Greek to me. I press on some links, but they either wanted to download some zip file that opened into some program text or long instructions on how to program.

If I copy and past the list provided on BGG into notepad, I get the same garbled mess I get in excel. A LONG time ago I could just copy and paste from the screens.

I was hoping someone knew of a 'user friendly' page on BGG that I could copy and past from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You used to be able to d/l a .csv of the whole DB, but apparently too many people used it. You might ask
Matthew Gray
United States
Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Matthew is the statistics/XMI geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, at one point I used that too.

'Too many people used it', that's almost funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a bandwidth problem. 45,000 games times how many bytes? Also, with the addition of families and extensions and all, the DB has gotten more complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Open a fresh excel sheet.

Menu:
Data|Import External Data|New Web Query...

Provide the address: http://boardgame.geekdo.com/browse/boardgame/page/1

You'll get a view of the page with little arrows marking what data can be imported. Choose the one that points at the top of the gamelist.

Click Import

This will just be the first hundred games but you can copy it off, edit the address to page/2, refresh the data and now you have the next page of data.

Save the sheet and you can refresh on demand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks CrankyPants. I never knew that. Of course, in my Excel 2000, I don't get a preview where I choose what I want--I get a full dump of the screen. But that's still pretty good, since the data is real data, rather than hyperlinks which I get when I cut and paste the entire page into Excel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most Excellent!

Even I can follow that AND the company just installed Office 2007 for me a couple weeks ago.

I did try it some other places with varied success. But, it got done what I was asking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.