Popular Tags: [View All]
badalchemist
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently been introduced into wargames via Battlelore, and I'm loving it. From what I understand, it uses the Command and Colors system. There also appears to be another system that uses blocks, like for Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage, Hammer of the Scots, and Richard III: The Wars of the Roses.

What other combat systems should I be aware of, and what games use them? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
H:RvC is not a block game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tactical: Advanced Squad Leader
Operational: FAB: The Bulge
Theater: Axis & Allies
Card-Driven: Combat Commander (also tactical)
Chit Pull: A Victory Lost (also operational)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
The most common system uses the roll of a die and a CRT (combat results table). One I have that does this is Successors (third edition) by GMT. There are far too many games to list with this system. Another system involves rolling a die and scoring a hit on a particular number or numbers. Both Britannia and the Axis & Allies games use this system. There are also card-driven games like Twilight Struggle (not considered by all a wargame), and many, many other CDGs. War of the Ring (First Edition) uses a combination of cards and dice. The way cards are used for combat is also pretty different in the weuro Empires of the Ancient World.

The list goes on and on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"Really don't mind if you sit this one out. My word's but a whisper, your deafness a shout."
badge
"If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead."
mbmbmbmbmb
You might enjoy skimming through this Geeklist on starter wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamieson Teo
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's quite a fair bit of wargames out there...

For block types, you can consider..

FAB: The Bulge (like Jim Cote above has suggested)
Europe Engulfed
Asia Engulfed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you mean game system no combat system by the way you worded your question.

Card Driven games is a system even though some of them have different combat systems within them. Hannibal RvC falls into this category not block games.

Other systems are:

Standard Combat Series from MMP & The Gamers (One of my favorites) games include: Afrika (second edition), Bastogne: Screaming Eagles under Siege, Ardennes

Operational Combat Series from MMP etc. Games include: Case Blue, DAK2

Tactical Combat Series from MMP ect. Games include: GD '42, Bloody Ridge

Combat Commander series from GMT Games include: Combat Commander: Europe, Combat Commander: Pacific

Musket & Pike series from GMT (similar type battles to Battlelore in that they are tactical but a much heavier and deeper system) Games include: Under the Lily Banners, Gustav Adolf the Great: With God and Victorious Arms

Great Battles of History from GMT Games include: SPQR (Deluxe Edition), RAN

Advanced Squad Leader from MMP

There are probably dozens and dozens of systems, these are just some that I have played or plan on playing.

*edit* spelling and links

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite some of the names what you list I would call series not systems, Brandon.

For me systems are:

Area impulse
card driven
block

what BGG also calls game mechanics
see http://geekdo.com/geeklist/45565/the-geeklist-of-game-mechan...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
wtrollkin2000 wrote:
Despite some of the names what you list I would call series not systems, Brandon.

For me systems are:

Area impulse
card driven
block

You left out whats far and away the best: HEX AND COUNTERS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
wtrollkin2000 wrote:

For me systems are:

Area impulse
card driven
block

Yes, you are correct. It is still hard to tell what he is specifically referring to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The wargame world is filled with series. Probably the best way to get into a new series is to figure out a period of interest, then those of us on the board can point you to good starter games/series in that area.

Kent
http://casualwargamersclub.blogspot.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Doria
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Hmmm, my impression is that he is referring to game, or perhaps combat-resolution, mechanics.

One option not mentioned for combat-resolution mechanics is pure odds-based. Civilization, for instance, resolves combat based almost solely on force size. Kingmaker, on the other hand, is based on odds, but instead of rolling a die and consulting a CRT, the outcome is determined by drawing a card from an event deck: if your odds are equal to or better than the ones printed on the card, the attacker wins; otherwise the battle is inconclusive (only game I've ever seen in which there isn't an "Attacker Eliminated" type of result).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.