BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Printing my version of Monopoly rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
steve tartella
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I have created my own version of Monopoly based on streets in my home town. Can you tell me the most professional way print to the PS file, apart from ordering 500 of them from a board game company. I already have an Epson 3880 printer capable of printing 17 by 17 on posterboard, but I have no idea what posterboard is like, all I know is it's 1.2mm thick. Can Kinko's print it for me or would extra work be involved, like laminating or using some kind of spray to coat the surface?

One last thing, has anyone found an effective way to print the orange and pink chance cards or the glossy cards that show property details?

Thanks!

ps, I'm not bothered about being able to fold the board blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The last thing we need is another version of Monopoly.

Why not just use and old version of Monopoly and print your board on sticker paper and affix it to the board and do the same with the cards as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Saddleback, covered by a blanket of winter snow
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
DO NOT DO IT! Hasbro has a legal obligation to protect its Trademarks. They must sue you or risk losing their Trademarks, These include "Monopoly" the distinctive board, and other marks. They have licensed the right to make Monopoly variants to USAopoly. I am dead serious about this.

Hasbro wrote:
Q - Where can I buy a city, state and/or specialty-themed MONOPOLY game?

A - USAopoly is the maker of city and specialty MONOPOLY games. Some of their editions include Boston Red Sox, New York Yankees, Dale Earnhardt, The Star Trek Edition, The Marvel Comics Collector's Edition, Coca-Cola Collector's Edition and Justice League of America Edition. You may call them at 1-888-876-7659 or fax them (760-431-5880) for more information or to request replacement parts. Their mailing address is USAopoly, 5607 Palmer Way, Carlsbad, CA 92008.

See: http://www.hasbro.com/monopoly/en_US/discover/faq.cfm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
DO NOT DO IT! Hasbro has a legal obligation to protect its Trademarks. They must sue you or risk losing their Trademarks, These include "Monopoly" the distinctive board, and other marks. They have licensed the right to make Monopoly variants to USAopoly. I am dead serious about this.

Hasbro wrote:
Q - Where can I buy a city, state and/or specialty-themed MONOPOLY game?

A - USAopoly is the maker of city and specialty MONOPOLY games. Some of their editions include Boston Red Sox, New York Yankees, Dale Earnhardt, The Star Trek Edition, The Marvel Comics Collector's Edition, Coca-Cola Collector's Edition and Justice League of America Edition. You may call them at 1-888-876-7659 or fax them (760-431-5880) for more information or to request replacement parts. Their mailing address is USAopoly, 5607 Palmer Way, Carlsbad, CA 92008.

See: http://www.hasbro.com/monopoly/en_US/discover/faq.cfm

I believe this would only be true if he was to sell his version of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
k240 wrote:
...ordering 500 of them from a board game company.

Yes, if he wants to pimp his own single set which he bought, he can do whatever he wants with it. Beyond that, it's asking for trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jefF, There are some who call me... DuneKitteh
United States
Wood Dale
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dune Kitty really does love you, despite any asshattery.
badge
Useless rollover, booya! Dune Kitty says, "deal with it."
mbmbmbmbmb
jjloc wrote:

I believe this would only be true if he was to sell his version of the game.

For serious. I think people need to READ the OP. He's looking to print copies and Kinko's and "not 500" - translation, for the less intuitive/bright ones, he's looking to make a copy for himself - maybe a few copies. But, of course, in usual BGG overreaction form, let's go for the size 18 red letter shouting!, because that's easier than to sit back and think about it for 4 seconds. I don't think there's otherwise any mass appeal to Monopoly version #xxxx featuring the OP's hometown streets anyway, and the OP probably knows that.

Now, that out of the way - OP; Kinkos or Office Depot will print a file for you in poster form. Not really sure they'll do a PS (whether that means "PostScript" or "PhotoShop"). Just export it to a large raster format file. PostScript is largely unnecessary unless you're having it professionally / mass printed, and even then not so much as the truth is the .pdf format is largely replacing PostScript for general pro printer cross platform formats. Every printer I've worked with for my daytime RL jobby-job in the last two years has requested/preferred a .pdf and sent me job options for it.

There are also lots of printers on line that will do large format printing if you upload the file there. Prices are reasonable for most, but they do vary (you'll likely find anywhere from 20-80 dollars for a Monopoly size image). Don't look too hard for anything mounted to a hard board, but many printers do print/mount to foam board. You can also take the thin sheet once it's printed to a framing place and have it dry mounted, or just spray adhesive it to some illustration board or mat board.

edited for spellins mis-steaks (revenge of edit; a couple more)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you know his hometown isn't Memphis? If Kinko's is on the ball, they will refuse to print it. Maybe Hasbro won't find out about it--though asking the question on a public forum like this makes that chancy--but if they do, they seriously must stop it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
How do you know his hometown isn't Memphis? If Kinko's is on the ball, they will refuse to print it. Maybe Hasbro won't find out about it--though asking the question on a public forum like this makes that chancy--but if they do, they seriously must stop it.

I doubt Kinkos would refuse because monopoly doesn't have the rights to his version. He's not making a copy of something that is copy righted. This to me is like doing a book report and summarizing the book in your own words, which is not against copy right law. How long have you been on BGG? People are pimping their versions of all kinds of games and posting them on here, where are all the lawsuits?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harlan Rosenthal
United States
Fair Lawn
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
infochuck wrote:
There are so many things wrong with your claims here, I don't even know where to begin. Go ahead, make your board. As long as you don't sell it, they can't touch you. Tall Walt: check your facts before you start spouting off about things you don't understand.

Tall_Walt wrote:

Sorry, infochuck, I think you're the one who needs to check your facts. Copyright means they can go after you even if you just make a copy for yourself - witness the RIAA going after people for downloading movies, or the warning on your videos that says "even non-monetary gains" (which means the "gain" of a free copy). There is already a "make your own" variant, so they've even covered the issue of "I just want to make one for myself", though obviously if you just made one for yourself nobody else would know.
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=213406227&listingi...

If you're thinking of making a dozen for your club, or school, or whatever - think twice. Pick on someone with sleepier lawyers. Make a train game with your own town map and nobody will notice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jjloc wrote:
I doubt Kinkos would refuse because monopoly doesn't have the rights to his version. He's not making a copy of something that is copy righted. This to me is like doing a book report and summarizing the book in your own words, which is not against copy right law. How long have you been on BGG? People are pimping their versions of all kinds of games and posting them on here, where are all the lawsuits?

If it's called Monopoly (trademarked) and it has the same art (cards, board, money), I don't think its a good idea.

You ask where are the lawsuits? So far none that we know of because companies like GW threaten BGG with lawsuits (using cease & desist) and BGG took down nearly all GW files. That incident led to BGG putting the DMCA takedown info link on every BGG page.
GW's IP page says things like you can't get GW themed tattoos, or avatars, or take pictures of painted models unless you say you took it without permission.

Places like Kinkos refuse to print things all the time because of copyright, even if its your own stuff you've created from scratch. Many of them prefer to err on the side of not printing so they won't get sued.

IANAL and this is just opinions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not copyright, it's trademark. Hasbro has a history of aggressively protecting Monopoly.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimonopoly (emphasis added):

Anspach's game [ Anti-Monopoly ] was subject to challenges in the courts. In 1982, after nine years of legal battles, Anspach won a trademark lawsuit in the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. The lawsuit had been brought over the use of the word "Monopoly" in the game's title. A later act of Congress allowed Kenner's Parker Brothers division to re-register the MONOPOLY trademark; both companies were subsequently acquired by Hasbro in 1991, which owns the trademark and rights to the game today. Anspach uses the Anti-Monopoly name under a license from Hasbro (as is stated in his website's legal disclaimers); he assigned the trademark to Parker Brothers at the conclusion of the Anti-Monopoly case and its appeals.

Hasbro (emphasis added) wrote:
"...the MONOPOLY® trademark and its logo, the distinctive design of the game board, each of the distinctive elements of the board including the four corner squares, and the playing pieces are trademarks of Hasbro, Inc., for its real estate trading game and game equipment.

You want to tug on Superman's cape, you go right ahead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Doria
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Ye gods and little fishies! BGG needs to retain in-house counsel to quiet all the people running around giving erroneous legal advice. If we want to get really technical about what's illegal, how about "practicing law without a license." Folks should look that one up.

Quote:
How do you know his hometown isn't Memphis?

My hometown IS Memphis---what has this got to do with the price of tea in China? (If anything, I would legitimately like to know, this one isn't a rhetorical question.)

Trademarks vs. Copyrights & Ramifications

"Trademarks" are distinctive words and symbols used to represent a company or its products. Uncle Moneybags is a Hasbro mark, the Golden Arches are a McDonald's mark, etc. You cannot use another's mark in a public manner that will cause people who view your use to confuse it with a legitimate use (e.g. you cannot open a restaurant and use the Golden Arches on your sign, although you might, just might, be able to open, say, a paper mill). Non-public, non-commercial uses do not generally violate trademark law. Thus, I can draw or photocopy Uncle Moneybags and display the reproduction in my own home for non-commercial, non-public purposes.

"Copyrights" are a person's (including a corporate person's) ownership interests in original creative works, such as movies, music, and books. In the case of Monopoly (and other boardgames), the game system is not generally subject to copyright (it might be subject to patent, and Monopoly was once covered by a patent, which has since expired). However, the wording of the rules and cards is: Hasbro owns the copyright on these elements, although these will eventually expire. It is generally illegal to reproduce copyrighted work, except for archival purposes, even if the reproducer does not distribute or derive monetary gain from, the reproduction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Doria
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
So, re: Monopoly. It is probably illegal to call a game where you move around a square board and buy and sell properties "Monopoly." It is likewise probably illegal to photocopy the rules, board, and cards for non-archival purposes. It would perhaps not be illegal to make original artwork that was a board featuring the same number of squares and that was to be used for a game involving buying and selling properties but that was not called "Monopoly" or a similar name.

That of course, is merely an academic observation and is not intended as legal advice of any type, nor should it be relied on as the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve tartella
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
thanks Jeff, yeah it's a 300dpi photoshop file, and the board will be based on Memphis streets (I can't see the makers ever getting round to doing our fine city and my version will be funnier - replacing the boot with a gun etc...). It's not for selling, just for a laugh...I didn't mean to bring out the red capital letters

any ideas on the chance and property cards? If i'm going to get into trouble I might as well do it properly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greater Memphis On Board:

http://www.bgamers.com/City-opoly%20Games.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Doria
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Huh, how'd I miss that? I've never seen it before. Thanks for the head's up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
You want to tug on Superman's cape, you go right ahead.

You're so clever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Simcoe (Norfolk)
Ontario
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
badge
Rust monsters: separating the wheat from the chaff since 1976.
mbmbmbmbmb
k240 wrote:
I have created my own version of Monopoly based on streets in my home town.

Welcome to Boardgamegeek... please don't mind the inmates, they mean well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve tartella
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
lol, at least they are passionate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve tartella
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
interesting find! although it looks a bit touristy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.