Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What if you want to?

Yet another case where White Moon pulls the rug out from normal assumptions. Is this power optional? The majority of Taoist powers are explicitly optional (the monk "can" do X, but needn't), but Yellow's powers and this Green power read as if they're mandatory. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would you want to roll the Curse die?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coolpapa wrote:
Why would you want to roll the Curse die?

To trigger Su-Ling, mostly to get Moon Crystals on the corners and eventually trigger the Mystic Barrier. You get to move her at the end of any turn where:

A. A villager dies.
B. A tile is haunted.
C. The Curse die is rolled.

Have you played White Moon? Trust me, you want Su-Ling to move around a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
We play that it is mandatory (NOT to roll it).
Due to Su-Ling, the strongest (in my opinion) side of the Green monk changed from "no curse" to "reroll curses".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke the Flaming wrote:
We play that it is mandatory (NOT to roll it).

I do too, at this point, but I'd like to hear the official take on this. I'm not really sure what I even want the answer to be, though I think it's cleaner as a general rule to have all abilities be at the discretion of the player. It's a bit strange to have a special ability that is also a handicap (on occasion), just as it's strange to have a reward (Moon Crystals) that is also a curse (on occasion). Never got an official answer on that thread, either.
Quote:
Due to Su-Ling, the strongest (in my opinion) side of the Green monk changed from "no curse" to "reroll curses".

No question, the "good" side flipped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my game, Atlantis Rising! :)
mb
waddball wrote:
Luke the Flaming wrote:

No question, the "good" side flipped.

This is exactly why I am hoping that it is optional. It's not great design when you don't really have a choice in which side to pick. And, as you both note, the re-roll side is far and away the better side with the expansion.

Galen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
gciscell wrote:
It's not great design when you don't really have a choice in which side to pick.

Do noy pick: choose randomly. Live it as an additional challenge (or help, depending on which side you get) just like rolling good/bad or having the stronger ghosts in/out the deck.

...and/or use house rules to fix the whole "Su-Ling activator of Barriers" concept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.