Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
We're going to be trying this one out tonight. I wanted to mess around with having an alien who had planets but no system- and now with Kickers officially in FFG's Cosmic, I figured I'd venture into the component (though you do not need Kickers or CI to play this alien).

TROGLODYTE [B:Warp] Always Player a Kicker (Planet)

Game Setup: Place each of your planets in the other players' systems, starting clockwise to your left. Remove all of your color's cards from the destiny deck. Place one cosmic token on your alien sheet.

You have the power of Seclusion. As a main player, use this power to multiply your encounter card by the number of tokens on your alien sheet. Tokens on your alien sheet are treated like Kickers (multiplies card value, amount of compensation, or ships lost to a failed deal). When you win an encounter as a main player, add 1 token to your alien sheet. If you play a Kicker card, its effects take place before you multiply your tokens.

When a player turns up his or her own color in the Destiny deck, he or she may attack one of your home planets. Each time you lose a home colony, remove all extra tokens from your alien sheet, going back to one,

History: The reclusive and brutal Troglodytes exist in the hidden pockets of every society. When their havens are disturbed, the Troglodytes muster their strength and visit a terrible vengeance upon those who encroach. They lay waste to everything in sight, then disappear again into the darkness.

Wild: When another player turns up a wild destiny, you may choose their opponent (so long as a legitimate encounter can still take place).

Super: When a player draws his or her own color, or a wild destiny card, you may force that player to attack another player in that system (as long as a legitimate encounter can still take place).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barney Bustoffson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you printed one up yet with artwork?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Highly amusing. Is it possible for Trog to lose his first token, if someone should kick him off a home colony before he wins an encounter? And if so, is he stuck with that "x0 Kicker" until he can win one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack of Clubs
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought Kickers only multiply the card value. Is this a change in the FFG version from the EON/Mayfair versions?

Also, it seems once the Troglodyte has it's super flare, it can never lose it's power.

You also might want to clarify what happens when the Troglodyte loses it's power - Still can get attacked when a player draws their own color, does not accumulate cosmic tokens, doesn't use them as kickers - but does it still lose them when it loses a home base?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bustoffson wrote:
Have you printed one up yet with artwork?

I'm working on it. I have to get some ink cartridges today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
Highly amusing. Is it possible for Trog to lose his first token, if someone should kick him off a home colony before he wins an encounter? And if so, is he stuck with that "x0 Kicker" until he can win one?

Indeed it is. He can't ever be at negative tokens. But if you choose to attack him that early on, you have to make sure you win or you are only making him stronger. I like that players have to gamble with whether they want to mess with the Trog.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
I thought Kickers only multiply the card value. Is this a change in the FFG version from the EON/Mayfair versions?

Also, it seems once the Troglodyte has it's super flare, it can never lose it's power.

You also might want to clarify what happens when the Troglodyte loses it's power - Still can get attacked when a player draws their own color, does not accumulate cosmic tokens, doesn't use them as kickers - but does it still lose them when it loses a home base?

Kickers have always been able to affect Compromise cards too. It's not often used that way, but it has been known to happen.

Never say never. You can always zap the card or the power.

Since the only use of his power is the kicker, the rest is not affected if Troglodyte loses his power. Yes, players can still attack him, and he still loses tokens if he loses the encounter. And, he still gets the tokens for winning (he just can't use them). Once I format the card though, I will see if it fits with the clarifications on there (something I noticed about the aliens and flares on Incursion was a lot of clarifications written into the text... it makes for a lot of text, but I can see it being useful). For our testing though, if the text gets too small, I will likely leave it off for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barney Bustoffson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a little different from the way you described it on AIM, isn't it? I remember something about auto-win tokens.

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bustoffson wrote:
This is a little different from the way you described it on AIM, isn't it? I remember something about auto-win tokens.

goo

Yeah the first version required a Siren-like way to get players to attack Trog, but I really wanted people to not want to attack him, and for him to not want others attacking him, and this way works better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
The Warp wrote:
If you play a Kicker card, its effects take place before you multiply your tokens.

Since multiplication is commutative, this isn't really necessary...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pseudotheist wrote:
The Warp wrote:
If you play a Kicker card, its effects take place before you multiply your tokens.

Not strictly, but it would be the #1 asked question about Troglodyte. It's good to clearly say it. Not everyone would grok the math immediately, and others would have been trained by D&D 3rd edition, where doubling a double producing a tripling, not a quadrupling....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pseudotheist wrote:
The Warp wrote:

It's a good point... part of me was preoccupied with mentioning that you could play a kicker card, and also addressing the question before it was asked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated:

An initial test met with pretty good success, but some suggestions. While Trog was never reduced to zero tokens in our playtest, there was still concern about how it might make it impossible for him to advance back to one.

So, he's been modified to "Each time you lose a home colony, remove all extra tokens from your alien sheet, going back to one."

It normalizes him, and it helps to manage him from getting too powerful. If Trog has 4 tokens on his sheet (consequently meaning he probably has 3 external colonies), he will be a monster- but if everyone gangs up on him when attacking his home planet, he will be back to one token.

I'm pretty happy with this change. If we're still awake enough to play again after Lost tonight, we'll give him another go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes sense. Wish we could do that for Warrior sometimes!

I also wish I could play CE as often as it appears you do. I think I get one session a month in, tops. The rest of the time I have to play online...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack of Clubs
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Warp wrote:
Phil Fleischmann wrote:

Kickers have always been able to affect Compromise cards too. It's not often used that way, but it has been known to happen.

Yes, I'm aware of that, but in the description of the power, you said "multiply your encounter *total*" which I see you've edited to "multiply your encounter *card*".

Empath + Compromise + Kicker = Great deal!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.