Popular Tags: [View All]
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the problems I saw with Star Wars CCG was that losing cards for force drains slowed down the game too much. Players had to agonize over randomly losing something from the top of the deck, or losing a known card from your hand.

Plus, it tends to make the player who's ahead stay really ahead, especially when a random force drain might remove a key part of a players deck.

The alternative? Use some sort of counters or numbers or whatever you want to keep track of how many life points you have left. You can start it at whatever you think makes sense. 30 points perhaps for a shorter game, but 51 or 60 tends to make sense if you think about the mechanics.

Recovering cards from the discard gain you back life points.

Now the game is more about how well you do in the fights or other strategic encounters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you just removed the key mechanic of the game that made it work so well and be as popular as it was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jormi_Boced wrote:
I think you just removed the key mechanic of the game that made it work so well and be as popular as it was.

Don't you find that it is too hard to catch up once you're behind?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that this mechanic is a big part of what made the SWCCG so special. There are a zillion CCGs out there that are all about throwing down cards until you bring your opponent to zero life points. The cards=life aspect makes the game that much more tense and makes deck construction extremely important. You've got to include duplicates of the cards that are essential to your strategy, as well as having enough of those which will help you thwart your opponent's actions. If you don't have ways to counteract your opponent's attacks (either through force drains or direct combat), then you will find it hard to catch up again. Either that, or play with a very focused and fast deck that damages your opponent faster than he damages you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
Jormi_Boced wrote:

Don't you find that it is too hard to catch up once you're behind?

Not really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The deck=life thing was one of the big things that made the game so special. It made deck construction a much more delicate art, and made the mid-game and end-game feel and play very differently from each other. It also made drawing/playing cards more interesting, because you know that any card you play to the table is a card gone from your life, so you better make the most of it.

The endgame is a unique experience. "Do I draw that card, or keep it there so I can spend it next turn?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aarontu wrote:
The deck=life thing was one of the big things that made the game so special. It made deck construction a much more delicate art, and made the mid-game and end-game feel and play very differently from each other. It also made drawing/playing cards more interesting, because you know that any card you play to the table is a card gone from your life, so you better make the most of it.

The endgame is a unique experience. "Do I draw that card, or keep it there so I can spend it next turn?"

Here's a quote from an interesting article on CCG/game design:

"Decking: When you reduce the number of cards in your opponent's deck to 0. This is a good secondary win condition, as it allows for a clear victor if for some reason players get in a deadlock. It isn't a good primary win condition for 2 reasons. First, it can take a long time to deplete a deck which is large enough to allow for a healthy amount of randomness. Second, it isn't fun to see the cool parts of your deck be ripped away from the game. It is a lot more exciting when you draw a card if it might be the cool one you are hoping for. Losing the chance to play your cool cards is demoralizing."

http://lackeyccg.com/ccgdesign.html

Anyhow. I have played and like/prefer this variant to Star Wars/Wars and I believe that it is worth trying at least once if you like Star Wars.

For me, the most interesting parts of SWCCG were the force/used/recycling piles aspect and of course, the theme. I found the discard for drains/damage interesting but I hated it too. And it always slowed the game down too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will agree that it is terrible to flip over cards from the top of your deck to pay for force drains and such, but remember two things:

1. The games are short, so even if you are losing badly and cannot catch up it still means in 10 minutes or so it will be over and you can try again.

2. Frequently, you CAN lose cards from your hand (or from the battle itself, though this usually compounds the problem). Rarely is a person FORCED to discard unseen cards. THIS is what makes the decisions so much fun/agonizing/etc.

Put yourself across the table and imagine what he is thinking. I LOVED to watch my opponent flip over a card to deal with a force drain, only to lose Vader or Luke or something really good like that! That is what made the game exciting and fun. True, it was usually downhill for him after that, but it could just as easily happen to me later in the game.

Deck building: A skill aquired through experience, NOT something gleaned from internet articles. You can put together a deck based on a list you read somewhere, but that won't give you any skills. It is only through the careful consideration of ALL factors that you can create a good 60-card deck.

That is why I would ALWAYS strip my decks down and build them as 60 cards, and not just replace one card or two at a time.

Boy, I love this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
craig wright
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
i love this game just not with variants sorry i have tryed many different ways but the real way is by far the best way to go (if it means not palaying i will play with a variant but...). and to benjamin i too always "strip my decks down and build them as 60 cards, and not just replace one card or two at a time." it is fun just to do so every so often and see how they work out.... fun, but dangerous if you want to win ..... i hate reading about this games it makes me want to play it more...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
starwarscards wrote:
i love this game just not with variants sorry i have tryed many different ways but the real way is by far the best way to go (if it means not palaying i will play with a variant but...). and to benjamin i too always "strip my decks down and build them as 60 cards, and not just replace one card or two at a time." it is fun just to do so every so often and see how they work out.... fun, but dangerous if you want to win ..... i hate reading about this games it makes me want to play it more...

I stand by my convictions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as stated before, managing your life force is a crucial element of the game and makes some games very tight-fought and victory much more rewarding.

losing a crucial card is a pain, yes, but you can overcome this if you include cards in your deck which lets you retrieve cards from your lost pile, and if your deck really needs that card, you surely should put several copies of it in the deck so that losing it once this way doesnt blow your chances yet.
and a good deck has a backup plan
you should always include a few cards in your deck that can block/eliminate key cards of your opponent to stop him from getting ahead.
losing cards from the deck is always ever the last option to consider, try to forfeit cards in play/from hand first.

and thematically it feels right that the more you lose the less "means" you have to fight back.

Even then, every card game out there is based on getting out your combo cards and more often than not, even if you dont lose them, you still dont get the cards in the right order so you still lose, there's plenty such tales in the MTG-CCG community

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.