Marc Allie
United States
Bolivar
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I Was Geeky When Geeky Wasn't Cool
mbmbmbmbmb
We received Castle Panic in the mail yesterday. I sat down with my two sons, ages 15 and 8, to play. After a brief explanation of the rules, we began our defense of the castle.

I was quite shocked how quickly the boys picked up on the tactics. We traded cards for the most effectiveness, discarded useless fodder, and had a grand time doing so. We managed to avoid boulders until late in the game, at which point they did more good than harm to us. As the pile of monsters dwindled, everything looked manageable in the kingdom.

Then, it all fell to pieces. We drew the "four new monsters" piece, and of those four, one was a boss who summoned even more with him. Our board position faltered, and quickly. Even with a lucky fortification and a last minute brick and mortar, we were down to one tower. As we drew and played the last monster, it joined six others on the board. A total of seven creatures had to be defeated in order to claim victory...

Alas, it was too much. Valiantly, our archers, swordsmen, and knights fought, but a solitary troll made it unscathed into the inner part of the castle. In a mere five turns, our last tower would fall. I drew the last card on the deck, and as we reshuffled, it looked hopeless. Only the mighty Barbarian could save us now, but what were the odds of calling for his aid?

Frantic, we took our turns, hunched over the board. Irrelevant bricks and mortars were discarded to dig deeper into the deck. The troll advanced, closer and closer, now only two steps from our tower. My youngest son drew, and exclaimed with glee:

"Drive Him Back!"

The troll, shoved to the outer edge, was soon dispatched by two swift arrows and a hero's strike. The castle was defended, the panic had been averted. Feasting, celebration, and rejoicing filled great hall of the castle, which looked suspiciously like our dining room table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Allen
United States
Grand Prairie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the greatest game with kids, ain't it? Love it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jelle Geertsema
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It is a nice game, but even better when you put it into words like yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My son's favorite card, hehe...
Just thinking of him saying it in this sort-of-Emglish, sort-of-Medieval accent makes me laugh.
Such fun for a 7 year old, makes a lot of fun for Dad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Beetham
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
Why why why didn't I set up a RRGSP! (Registered Retired Gamer Saving Plan)
badge
So many games.... so little time...
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely a great game. That card is one that my grandsons (4 and 6) hold onto for dear life - they never EVER discard it

It's really great to see both of them strategize together and discuss who is going to build fortifications and where and who is going to trade whom which card in order to rebuild a wall.

A definitively awesome game. Both boys get right into it - and we usually lose cry but after two hours of play they immediately ask to play it again.

It's the best investment in any game I've ever made to date!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.